2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Some corals are fading  (Read 7040 times)

Offline lightningfront

• Adult
Re: Some corals are fading
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 19:03:15 »
WOW, is all I have to say. I got my new light in today and put it on the tank. Corals instantly looked better in the new light. More vibrant colors. I'm going to just run 2 bulbs for the rest of today and tomorrow then switch to 4 bulbs for a few days and then up to all 6. Don't want to shock the corals.
28 NanoCube CF Quad

My tank thread
http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=8341

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 22:43:22 »
My 2 cents on light acclimation. Don't change your photo period or reduce the number of lights that you have on. Instead purchase aluminum window screen from you local hardware store for a few bucks. Cut several layers maybe 5 to 6 to fit the top of the tank. You can lay a couple of small 1x1/2 strips of wood across the top of your tank to support the screen. It is pretty rigged but may need some additional support to not fall in the water. Add enough screen so light is approximately the same intensity as what you had with your PC's. This will allow them to get used to the new light spectrum first. Each week (or less) remove 1 layer of screen until you have no more layers left.  This method worked for me but I am sure the method you choose would be okay as well but going to all 6 in one week is probably a bit to fast. Watch your corals carefully for any sign of stress and modify acclimation time and I am sure you will be fine. Good Luck and we expect to see some new pics when things get adjusted and fully colored up. :)

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 11:16:48 »
So let me ask you this then. After adding the lights you dont think that the coral color was a perception issue between the 2 light set ups do you? if that makes sense

Offline lightningfront

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 12:59:02 »
So let me ask you this then. After adding the lights you dont think that the coral color was a perception issue between the 2 light set ups do you? if that makes sense

No doesn't make sense.  If your asking if it was the color spectrum or intensity of the old lights that caused the corals to look faded, then yes I do believe that was the problem.
28 NanoCube CF Quad

My tank thread
http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=8341

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2009, 03:09:43 »
I guess what I was getting at was if the lights fix it it will take more than a few day to turn things around.  It was more than how the lights made the corals look they were faded correct?

Offline Arcade_Guy

• Juvenile
  • Centipede
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2009, 05:12:42 »
i think what jake meant was that it looked better because you had t5s on it and not pcs.. you'll probably notice a difference regardless... being "better" lights and all.

but in a couple days you should really see them color up even more, more so than what you see now.

if i'm even making sense lol

either way, i'd bet money on the new lights and a couple water changes totally fixing what small problem you had man.

;)
55 Gallon Reef - Hamilton, OH 45013

Arnold shares his deepest feelings