2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Switching Salt  (Read 1797 times)

Offline chromiumlux

Switching Salt
« on: February 08, 2013, 19:22:38 »
I am getting ready to switch my salt from ESV to IO reef crystals. I am wondering if there are precautions involved in changing salt mixes. My tank is 150g. I usually do a 30g change weekly. Any experience with switching salts would be appreciated.
Chromiumlux

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Switching Salt
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 19:49:59 »
I have switched salts several times and have never really done anything special. I do 30gal change to 110 total water volume. Can't see any reason why with just a 30 gal water change on a system your size that you would have to do anything special. I do know that when I used IORC that it took it a while to totally dissolve, not sure how long you wait after mixing to do the change, but I would watch that.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 20:12:48 »
I agree you can switch without any considerations or concerns. No need to mix with previous salt or anything like that. IORC is a good salt mix. Been around longer then any other brand and has a proven track record.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 20:36:30 »
I agree you can switch without any considerations or concerns. No need to mix with previous salt or anything like that. IORC is a good salt mix. Been around longer then any other brand and has a proven track record.

Thanks also Brian. I am down to my last 200g mix of ESV and decided to try the IORC. I like the reviews and input I am hearing about it.
I have switched salts several times and have never really done anything special. I do 30gal change to 110 total water volume. Can't see any reason why with just a 30 gal water change on a system your size that you would have to do anything special. I do know that when I used IORC that it took it a while to totally dissolve, not sure how long you wait after mixing to do the change, but I would watch that.

Thanks Steve. I always make sure my mix is dissolved and aerated for a few days before using. Not sure if I showed you my mix tub when you were over....lol.

Chromiumlux

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 20:40:31 »
 Not sure if I showed you my mix tub when you were over....lol.

[/quote]
No but you can always have me stop by for a 2nd veiwing, would love to see some of the new stuff.