2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Best Reasons to Quarantine...  (Read 22234 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Best Reasons to Quarantine... Not for the faint-hearted!
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 21:14:36 »
Not really a pest but thought if someone was looking for a problem with there zoa's they may look here.

It is called zoa pox. Not sure if anyone really knows if it is a bacterial infection or virus but it is extremely hard to cure.

This small colony came to me with just a couple of polyps that had it and it spread very quickly. It was dead before I knew what happen.

It looks like sand but not in all cases. Deep-water zoa's are notorious for acquiring it.

4/10/2009

4/18/2009

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 21:16:12 »
wow thats weird
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 21:24:33 »
Brian, there is a thread on RC about dosing vitamin C to help with zoa-pox, did you ever try that?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 00:08:50 »
Brian, there is a thread on RC about dosing vitamin C to help with zoa-pox, did you ever try that?

I have only done the zoaid.com treatments one of which is Furan-2 with marginal success at best.  I will have to check out the Vitamin C if it ever strikes again.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 00:11:37 »
I have only done the zoaid.com treatments one of which is Furan-2 with marginal success at best.  I will have to check out the Vitamin C if it ever strikes again.

vit C is also supposed to help with color.. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 08:32:25 »
vit C is also supposed to help with color.. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.
I take vit-c but I am still Pale
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 09:38:20 »
I take vit-c but I am still Pale

But you've never had zoapox have you?  :D

Here's the thread, I swear I read it help zoas color up...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252294
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 12:25:41 »
But you've never had zoapox have you?  :D

Here's the thread, I swear I read it help zoas color up...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252294

There was no dispute about MR. DR. JD Sir! :laugh:

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2010, 19:58:47 »
Zoa Eating Nudibranch -

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2010, 22:28:34 »
wow nice catch
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2010, 23:47:15 »
Wow that is actually pretty cool looking.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 08:29:58 »
ya it is
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 20:33:40 »
Wow that is actually pretty cool looking.

It was with some BamBams, so it blended in great.  I wonder if these change color to match what they prey on?

Does anyone know what it takes from Egg to the size pictured in the photo?   Trying to figure out if I missed eggs, or the effectiveness of Revive.

Offline Seano Hermano

• Seano
  • Adult
    • Concept Reef
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 14:00:23 »
I've come across a spaghetti worm, which I have only seen a few times, & a bristle worm. The bristle is probably about 3 - 4" now. I will look for a picture of the bristle. It's pretty big.
Sean

29G Reef Build
10G sump
Hydor Slim Skim Nano protein skimmer
Danner Mag Drive 7 return pump

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Best Reasons to Quarantine...
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012, 11:40:26 »
Live Aquaria Limited Edition Coral. Comes with certification of authenticity, vet checked and guaranteed pest free. Grown on site in their aquaculture facility. Actual picture on their site of their famous Acropora Secale aka Purple Haze Acro. Red bug infested

ORA corals from saltwaterfish.com. They told me all their ORA corals are kept separate from any other corals and if I found anything then it came from ORA that way. Here is what I found.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2012, 12:14:49 »
Did your Purple Haze from LA have red bugs too?    What did Live Aquaria have to say.   Has to make you think of what defines a pest.

What is on the second picture.......or is that the coral that the flat worms came from?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2012, 12:39:43 »
It could have however I treated with interceptor and red-bugs hide and are so small that I don't think they could be seen when dipping. The picture from saltwaterfish.com is of the coral that the flatworms came from. Not sure if that is AEFW or some other kind but I throw it away, didn't chance it.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2012, 13:05:25 »
Does coral ex not kill AEFW's?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2012, 13:10:09 »
Does coral ex not kill AEFW's?

No.   It disturbs them and make is easy to blow off.......but where there are flat worms, there are typically eggs.   The eggs can be hard to find, and are much more of a concern.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2012, 13:52:59 »
So if you wanted to save a coral, you need to qt it? Are you safe then. Or is it best to just pitch em?

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2012, 14:02:37 »
In my limited experience, I have never had a good experience trying to save a coral when pests are found on them. With the exception of zoa eating nudibranchs which don't worry me much after treatment of an incoming frag.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2012, 14:14:06 »
So if you wanted to save a coral, you need to qt it? Are you safe then. Or is it best to just pitch em?

You could QT it and keep dipping it through the life-cycle of the flatworm.    I found out I had flat worms when I tore my 90 gallon down.    I dipped my corals, and then cut off anything that was not alive, cut apart all branches.  Then I re-dipped all of the frags the next 2 weeks.    I watched all of the corals for 2 months before I even thought about transferring to my new tank....

The coral that had the worst infestation was the size of a baseball, I only recovered 4 small frags from it........Only one made it, and is growing well now....a nice mini-colony.   I lost 70% of my acros through this process........but I had to be sure.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2012, 14:25:50 »
That is probably the only way to do it is start fresh like you did Paul. It sucks but best in the long wrong. The only pests I don't really worry to much about is redbugs as in tank treatment is no big deal. The pest that has me most paranoid is bubble algae, bryopsis and AEFW.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2012, 20:30:10 »
This is such good info for those who do not as a practice quarantine. Thanks to all.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2012, 20:35:29 »
You could QT it and keep dipping it through the life-cycle of the flatworm.    I found out I had flat worms when I tore my 90 gallon down.    I dipped my corals, and then cut off anything that was not alive, cut apart all branches.  Then I re-dipped all of the frags the next 2 weeks.    I watched all of the corals for 2 months before I even thought about transferring to my new tank....

The coral that had the worst infestation was the size of a baseball, I only recovered 4 small frags from it........Only one made it, and is growing well now....a nice mini-colony.   I lost 70% of my acros through this process........but I had to be sure.

I went through a similar issue with Bryopsis. Lost all my acros.
Chromiumlux