2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Three great shops for me in the area and three out of the area  (Read 4288 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Local shops in the Dayton area:

Coral Ranch - Rich is a super guy who knows saltwater.  He'll take the time to talk to you and tell you what's right, what's wrong, and what to do/not do.  His prices are good, his livestock is great IMO, and everything is healthy.  Top notch.  Plus, he's 20 minutes away from me.  Hours aren't great, but he stayed an hour past closing the other night just to point me in the right direction.  If you haven't been to see Rich and his livestock, perhaps you should ask yourself why.  You're missing out.  Thanks, Rich.  You'll definitely keep my business.  Top of the list.

Gerber's.  Say what you want, but Mike, Brian, and Bryon know what they are talking about.  The hours are great and they're 10 minutes away.  Yep, they are expensive, but what I'd have spent in time and gas makes up for it.  And again, friendly service goes a long way with me.  If the owner is snotty because I'm not ready to drop a few hundred bucks, I'm not going back no matter how great the store is.  These guys are decent, helpful, and know what they're talking about.  I like Gerber's.  It is messy, but it's a fish warehouse.  If you want clean and shiny, there's always Aquarium Adventure in Columbus.  I'm a newbie who doesn't know a lot, but I like this shop and the people.

Marine Solutions - I like the store and the prices are good.  Selection seems down lately.

Semi-local:

Coral Pets - Vince has a great selection and good prices.  Another guy who will stay late to get you what you need.  Thanks, Vince.  Long drive for me, though.

Out of the area:

Premium Aquatics - Indy - There is one outstanding thing about this store; great customer service.  And another thing; the live rock is great and the prices are too.  Even though the line was super long, once my number was called, they took their time to help me set up and choose my live rock, pick out my sand, and get my dry goods.  The key was that they helped my wife and I and didn't rush us.  I went there for live rock; best around.  Sorry, everyone else, but it's true.  Only one other place for live rock of this quality, and I'm getting to them.

Phishy Business - Columbus - Everyone has a few choice pieces for sale except this place.  Everything they have is superb.  Rock, fish, corals.  Pricing is very good.  If this place was in Dayton, that would be sweeeeeet.

Kev

90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline chromiumlux

Re: Three great shops for me in the area and three out of the area
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 21:33:47 »
What about Reef Systems? Thats another great shop.
Chromiumlux

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 21:40:48 »
What about Reef Systems? Thats another great shop.
+1 they do have a cool place
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 22:39:50 »
Don't know anything about Reef Systems.  Would like to check it out.  Send me a link or some info.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline HUNGER

SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 02:54:50 »
I have always like Tropicorium up in the outskirts of Detroit.  I used to go up there when I first started reefing before I found Ohio Reef.  The are a great group of people. I haven't been up there lately but they were always good to me.  They gave me good deals on frags when I first started out reefing!

http://www.tropicorium.com/

Another place I like to go look at their stuff is Aquarium Adventure.  Their prices are way high, but I like to go out there and look at their displays from time to time.  They have (or did) some cool reef setups and coral tanks along with a cool over hang rock structure in a FOWLR tank.  They also cater to the freshwater folks alot.  They have a good stock of fresh water fish as well as planted tanks and plants for your planted tank.

http://www.aquariumadventure.com/
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 08:15:52 »
Aquarium Adventure is sweet they do have some sweet displays  theres one shop down in cincy with a huge shark tank cant remember there name
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:16:31 »
Aquarium Adventure is sweet they do have some sweet displays  theres one shop down in cincy with a huge shark tank cant remember there name
Aquatics and Exotics

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 18:59:04 »
Aquatics and Exotics
yup thats it
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 23:35:36 »
So thats why I see you every other day

The hours are great and they're 10 minutes away.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 10:56:10 »
That's also why you're going to see me tonight with the brittle star that's been skulking about and eating my livestock.  Aggressive bugger.

Offline Telekinesis

• Fry
  • Because we couldn't go for three
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 11:25:44 »
I know this thread is pretty old, but I wanted to vouch for both Coral Ranch and Gerber's as well. Rich (Coral Ranch) provided excellent customer service and was willing to frag just about anything up right there on the spot. I'll be going back. Might try to head that way today, actually. Brian out at Gerber's is another one who has helped me tremendously. I've heard they can be expensive, but honestly he has cut me some great deals whenever there's something he knows I really want. Never once tried to push anything on me or sell me something that he didn't think would be a good fit/idea for my tank.

I'm still fairly new to all of this, but Rich and Brian will continue to get my business due to an excellent experience shopping and conversing with each of them. I'd highly recommend both shops if you haven't been.