2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Premium Aquatics  (Read 6178 times)

Offline aquavista99

Premium Aquatics
« on: May 16, 2006, 22:29:38 »
I placed my first livestock order with Premium Aquatics on Monday and everything arrived on my doorstep the next day. I placed a bulk order for Trochus snails. One of the bags of snails arrived with very little water in it, due to the way they packed it (i.e.,  the bag was not sealed very well allowing most of the water to leak out) but all the snails appear to be fine so far. Premium Aquatics  told me that all orders placed from this area (SW Ohio)  would normally be delivered via standard US ground shipping within 24 hrs, which is good to know.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Re: Premium Aquatics
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 01:46:43 »
Premium Aquatics  told me that all orders placed from this area (SW Ohio)  would normally be delivered via standard US ground shipping within 24 hrs, which is good to know.

Sure helps with the shipping charges!!

Offline verper

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 05:53:16 »
I know that when I've been to frag swaps, snails are packaged with just a moist paper towel in a plastic bag filled with air/oxygen.  The snails you got might have been packaged that way on purpose.  Maybe Just Coral's Scott can chime in on this.

philman

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 06:21:54 »
The only complaint I have with PA is that there web store seems to have very few items.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 06:51:14 »
I've ordered snails and crabs from other placs and they have been shipped with wet towels and that's it. No problems. 

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 08:06:11 »
Anytime I've ordered snails online I have received them in just wet paper towels.

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 08:47:20 »
snails will be less active if shipped with little water.  When shipping 100 snails all submerged in water they will be more active and realy foul that water.  They used the proper method of shipping.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 22:48:57 »
Anytime I've ordered snails online I have received them in just wet paper towels.

Now that I think about it, that is exactly how Indo Pacific Reef Farms shipped snails to me in the past, but then again, IPRF is located in Kona, Hawaii, which is a long hike from Ohio.

Premium Aquatics shipped the snails in large bags of water, just like you would ship fish. Trochus snails are a little larger than normal, but I think one of the reasons why they shipped them like that is because of the next day service they offer to SW Ohio. However, I was concerned with one bag of snails where most of the water leaked out of the bag...what little water remained in the bag was polluted by snail waste, etc. However, after 24 hours, all the snails appear fine.

jenghes

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 08:44:35 »
The only complaint I have with PA is that there web store seems to have very few items.

I have looked at both their web and been to their physical store.  They have lots of dry goods, equipment and live rock.  I was not so impressed by their livestock.  Very limited selection.