2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Bright effects 26w bulb  (Read 8266 times)

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
Bright effects 26w bulb
« on: October 28, 2009, 17:33:22 »
Ok so I decided to try these bulbs for lighting my macro algae in my sump instead of the current light I was using. I read Meleves article on bulbs like this one but could not find the bulb he was using at the hardware store, so I found this one at lowes for about 9 bucks. It is a floresent bulb with a built in reflector. It boasts that it uses only 26W but is compared to a 90W bulb. It also gives its Kelven temperature as 6500K which is nice because most bulbs that are not for aquarium use rarley give their kelvin temperature. I will let everyone know my results and how I like the bulbs.

If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Re: Bright effects 26w bulb
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 19:13:05 »
Ive been using the daylight CFLs from WalMart but they dont have the reflector. Ill have to give this one a look.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 23:47:35 »
Ok so I decided to try these bulbs for lighting my macro algae in my sump instead of the current light I was using. I read Meleves article on bulbs like this one but could not find the bulb he was using at the hardware store, so I found this one at lowes for about 9 bucks. It is a floresent bulb with a built in reflector. It boasts that it uses only 26W but is compared to a 90W bulb. It also gives its Kelven temperature as 6500K which is nice because most bulbs that are not for aquarium use rarley give their kelvin temperature. I will let everyone know my results and how I like the bulbs.

[/quote
How about it udjustin; Did you ever give us your opinion on this bulb?
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 07:49:28 »
they have worked well for me i run them on both my systems

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 11:26:03 »
I'm gonna use one on my new sump. I've not had any luck with cheato growth and I think that is the reason.
Thanks for the response and a very merry Christmas to you & Yours

Ray :laugh:

Offline atreis

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 08:20:29 »
I won't buy that brand again...  I used the 15W version of that bulb in the recessed fixtures (6" cans) in my house and within a year all had died.  I replaced them with 16W Ushio CCFL bulbs that have held up much better.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 14:51:31 »
I won't buy that brand again...  I used the 15W version of that bulb in the recessed fixtures (6" cans) in my house and within a year all had died.  I replaced them with 16W Ushio CCFL bulbs that have held up much better.

Did the ones you use have the reflector?  And do you have a pic of the new ones and where did you get them?

Offline atreis

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 08:09:18 »
Did the ones you use have the reflector?  And do you have a pic of the new ones and where did you get them?

The ones I had bad luck with were a different wattage, and had a white instead of silver reflector.  Specifically these:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=296879-371-60063&lpage=none

The problem might have been specific to that particular model and might even have been fixed, but I can't be sure and don't want to waste more money trying to find out.  I originally bought 22 of them all at once for use in my new house and within a year all but 8 of them had died.  I now have just 4 of them left (in lights that aren't used very often) and it's been 2 years.  I've yet to lose a single one of the Ushio CCFL bulbs that I replaced them with.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 10:42:15 »
The ones I had bad luck with were a different wattage, and had a white instead of silver reflector.  Specifically these:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=296879-371-60063&lpage=none

The problem might have been specific to that particular model and might even have been fixed, but I can't be sure and don't want to waste more money trying to find out.  I originally bought 22 of them all at once for use in my new house and within a year all but 8 of them had died.  I now have just 4 of them left (in lights that aren't used very often) and it's been 2 years.  I've yet to lose a single one of the Ushio CCFL bulbs that I replaced them with.

I believe I used one of those before for something but it was not the tank/sump.
I know that the bulbs that have a reflector are not recommended for recessed fixtures. But do not remember who told me that.

Offline wolfeden3

• I hate aptasia!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Juvenile
  • I LOVE ZOANTHIDS AND SOFTIES!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 20:23:27 »
killer bulb works great!!! i have one on my sump now and i already see a difference in my cheato!
thanks for the heads up,
Garry
:) 90g w/ 30g refuge 776w mh w/ pc attinic f/o tank
;) 46 bow front new diy sump 192w pc f/c tank
;) 10g frag tank marine-land reef capable led

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 20:34:26 »
Hey Justin, I hope you didn't wreck when you took both hands off the wheel to take that picture with the SUV in front of you breaking.  :laugh:

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 20:44:55 »
you like that lol i get yelled at all the time for "multi tasking" ;D I was wondering how long it would take for someone to catch that lol

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 20:46:26 »
you like that lol i get yelled at all the time for "multi tasking" ;D I was wondering how long it would take for someone to catch that lol

nice didnt see that
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 22:44:57 »
killer bulb works great!!! i have one on my sump now and i already see a difference in my cheato!
thanks for the heads up,
Garry
Thats great; Appreciate the follow up. So would you recommend a single bulb over sump or two?

Offline wolfeden3

• I hate aptasia!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Juvenile
  • I LOVE ZOANTHIDS AND SOFTIES!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 20:55:51 »
I would say that it depends on how big ur sump is? i have mine on a 20 high sump. but i think later down the road i will add another. but one works for now!
:) 90g w/ 30g refuge 776w mh w/ pc attinic f/o tank
;) 46 bow front new diy sump 192w pc f/c tank
;) 10g frag tank marine-land reef capable led

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 09:40:08 »
I would say that it depends on how big ur sump is? i have mine on a 20 high sump. but i think later down the road i will add another. but one works for now!
It is a 75g.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 21:33:36 »

I use this bulb on my 55 gal refuge backed by a alum reflector, best thing ive ever used, growth is un-godly, id recommend to any one looking for refuge lighting..

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 08:28:35 »
i bought 2 of these vuld about 2 weeks ago and they work great a ton better than t5s  ive hand more groth in 2 weeks than i have had ine 1 month with the t5s 
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 08:34:39 »
that's good to know, Hunger.  What spectrum were the T-5s that were over the sump?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 17:34:51 »
they were just cheap t5s like 15 watts
SIZE DOES MATTER