2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Your thoughts please.  (Read 5705 times)

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Your thoughts please.
« on: April 07, 2014, 23:26:52 »
What are your thoughts on our 2014 swap? Is there any thing you would like to see changed? Is there something you want to stay the same?      Please freely comment.     We need your input to make 2015 even better.

Also if you would like to be considered as 2015 frag swap chairman please let us know.

Thanks to everyone in advance for their comments.

Offline NEWMAN

• Adult
Re: Your thoughts please.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 00:22:24 »
I had a good time at the swap and got a couple frags. As a paid member I didn't understand why I had to pay for my wife to enter the swap. She just came to spend time with me tag along. I know there is fees that come with hosting a big event like this but as a paid member I expect her to be included.

Offline bbtm64

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 01:35:32 »
Since this was my first swap I don't have anything to compare it to. I had a good time, met some members, talked to some vendors. Got to meet Larry Dupont.

Brent McCloskey

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 07:50:00 »
Thank you both. Newman, the board and next years chairman will talk about that.

Please keep your comments coming. This is the only way we can keep making our Swap better year after year.

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 07:55:36 »
The raffle takes up too much of the swap, making it very hard to follow as we are continuing to buy and sell.  I think waiting to hear from a winner each time is the cause of the issue.  At the LEAR swap they read each number twice and moved on.  There was a separate group that verified the winners as they came up.  I'm not sure what happened if no one came up to claim the prize, but that shouldn't be hard to address.  It seemed like they moved a similar amount of stuff in half of the time in this method. 

Also, hobbyist table space was awful tight. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:14:58 by andys1982 »

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:17:11 »
Thanks Andy. Your thoughts at noted and we will see what can be done next year.

So far the main concern I have, has not come up. Anyone have a problem with parking?

Offline JayMc

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:23:52 »
I had a good time at the swap and got a couple frags. As a paid member I didn't understand why I had to pay for my wife to enter the swap. She just came to spend time with me tag along. I know there is fees that come with hosting a big event like this but as a paid member I expect her to be included.

I know we're only talking about a couple bucks here, but that's why I chose not to become a full member. 

We carpool a decent size group from lima/Wapak area and usually leave mid swap to check out Gerber's then return so parking was a huge PITA when returning at 2/2:30. Also all of the gates being closed was frustrating as there was only one way in/out unless we were missing something.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 09:36:21 »
Swap could be from 11am-3pm with the raffle starting at 3p-4p. Vendors would the have the option to keep selling.

10am-11am could be for premium members only.

Parking is a major issue along with no extra space for speakers. The swap needs an updated venue.

Offline kellyj

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 11:01:00 »
It was my first frag swap and I thought it was great.  I got there early (11:30) so parking wasn't an issue for me.  One suggestion for reducing the raffle time would be to write your name on the raffle tickets, then call the name instead of the number.  The number could still be used to validate the ticket. 
Regards,
Kelly

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 12:49:39 »
The raffle started 30 minutes early from previous years and finished 20 minutes before swap was over. End of raffle is typically the unofficial "it is over" therefore folks started shutting down early. Putting it back to starting at 3:00 or 3:15 and change from calling number to name (fantastic idea) it will go much much faster.

Venue is good for the swap on price, size, power, layout, qty tables/chairs, access for vendor setup etc... The parking issue although I have never experienced it comes up as issue year over year. Especially in bad weather. It is going to be hard to beat the accommodations without some sacrifices such as expense; but if we look hard enough we may be able to find a suitable replacement venue.

Swap help for setup during swap and clean up is not a problem. It is down to a science and stress free. We always have many folks that jump in to help out. Never a shortage of assistance. The pre swap arrangements, such as communication and soliciting donations is where we could use more help.

JayMC if the only value to a premium membership was to save money on swap admission; I would choose not to as well.

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 14:26:29 »
The only issue I see with the names is that I'll only be able to buy $20 worth instead of my usual $100 due to the time it will take to label (JK, but seriously, could impact ticket sales).  I'd call the number twice and move on.  If no one picks it up, raffle it again next year.

Offline JayMc

• Juvenile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 14:49:48 »
The only issue I see with the names is that I'll only be able to buy $20 worth instead of my usual $100 due to the time it will take to label (JK, but seriously, could impact ticket sales).  I'd call the number twice and move on.  If no one picks it up, raffle it again next year.

Lol that's a good point

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 16:31:36 »
If there is no name on the ticket we would call the number, It is your choice if you want to hear your name or the number. THose selling the tickets would give them that option and a pen if they wanted to write their name.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 18:02:19 »
we could have runners run around looking for people because they choose to not pay attention to the raffle they put their money in on.

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 18:47:02 »
There were plenty of parking spots we just had a really good turn out. The only thing that really peeved me is the raffle. Having to be present to win is ridiculous when the swap last 5 hours, that's why the tickets have a place for your name address and phone number, I had a family emergency and had to leave at 3 bare minimum it would have been nice to know that before I spent so much. I think the hobbyist tables could have been set up a little better it was hard to tell the differences between people lounging with their new purchases or Sellers.

Sent om my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 18:59:17 »
The only thing that really peeved me is the raffle. Having to be present to win is ridiculous when the swap last 5 hours, that's why the tickets have a place for your name address and phone number,

This would turn into shipping hundreds of prizes to everyone. Not something I think anyone would want to do, or pay for.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 19:01:31 »
Also if you would like to be considered as 2015 frag swap chairman please let us know.

I will take care of being chairman again as long as Westeri gets on the PA.  ;)

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 19:24:16 »
The location is good on price and we have it down to a science... but the parking has always been an issue. I think a new venue may be a good idea to look into. But hopefully within moderation... some of the ideas I heard floating around could very well create a wash situation if the attendance for some of those venues didnt turn out like expected.

Also comes the issue with booking, as some places can be booked a year or more in advance
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 19:42:34 by Boonjob »
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 19:25:31 »
This would turn into shipping hundreds of prizes to everyone. Not something I think anyone would want to do, or pay for.

Ditto... coordinating something like that and the cost would near wash the raffle itself.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 19:27:40 »
Who said anything about shipping?

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 19:31:44 »
Who said anything about shipping?

If you didn't have to be present to win, we would be stuck transporting and shipping said items.

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 20:29:11 »
Or you could call the phone number and let the person pick it up

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 21:40:56 »
Almost every raffle I've ever been involved in, except for big items, you had to be present to win.
Brent McCloskey

Offline bearsfan420

• Fry
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 22:04:42 »
My first swap and I had great time. I do think that more seating for relaxing and going through raffel would be nice. After several hrs walking around i would have liked to sit,other than that see you next year.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 08:38:19 »

Westeri? Sounds like a deal to me.

Offline Westeri

• Juvenile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 11:01:20 »

Well I guess we will have to find a new chairman then.  Unless getting on the PA during setup the night before counts....lol

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2014, 17:52:27 »
Swap was great, nice layout, a lot of quality vendors with good prices.  Parking has never been an issue for me but I always get there early.  The place did seemed a little cramped this year, seems like the swap could use a bigger venue.  A definitely agree on lack of seating...  No where to just rest and sit and eat.  That is the reason why I didn't eat there, didn't want to stand there holding my cooler a pop and a sandwich.  I did hear several vendors complaining about starting the raffle so early, saying they were going to loose out on business.  all in all I had a great time and got to meet several new vendors with great corals. If I had to pick one thing it would be bigger venue, hell I would even pay half for being a premium member if you guys moved to a bigger venue.  Even with that being said I love it being at the IUE/CWA hall..  I am a local IUE/CWA president (84742)  here in Lima, lol

Jeremy