2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Is a doser needed?  (Read 909 times)

Offline Straasha

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Is a doser needed?
« on: May 08, 2020, 10:16:07 »
Being new to the hobby, I will probably have quite a few newbie questions for a while.  I have a 55 gallon aquarium that just finished cycling and want to add some LPS over the next few months.  Maybe in a year, I will add some SPS.  If I add Kalkwasser to my ATO, do I even need a doser?  Is a doser worth it for a smaller tank like a 55?

Offline JSellars

• Adult
Re: Is a doser needed?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 11:00:30 »
A doser can be used in any size aquarium. They are needed to maintain levels of different elements such as calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. Those are consumed by your corals and the more coral you have, the more that is consumed so instead of doing a water change to keep those levels where you want them, you can dose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 12:54:17 »
Regular water changes should be good for now.  Like sellars mentioned as you requirements go up you will need to consider your options then. I wouldn’t even add kalk yet either. Just test your alk levels and you will see it start being harder to maintain good levels with just water changes then it will be time to start dosing. Start on a good routine of 10% weekly and keep to it. You should be in good shape for awhile till you experience and tank grows.
Jeff

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 13:06:20 »
Perfect.  Thanks for the info.