2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Powerheads in a 6' tank  (Read 867 times)

Offline Tony

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Powerheads in a 6' tank
« on: August 03, 2020, 23:10:59 »
Hey Everyone!

This is a bit of a two part question.  This is my first 6' tank, and i've watched quite a few videos about flow/turbulence.  I'm familiar with flow rates for tanks, and water turnover etc, however for those of you who keep 6' tanks, i'm wanting to know what you've done to achieve your most successful flow rates.  My biggest concern is flow dissipating before reaching the other end of the tank, resulting in dead spots along the rock. I'm well aware that rock placement has a big impact on flow, but do you prefer fewer PH's with higher output or adding a few more to cover multiple angles of flow?  The widest tank I've kept in the past was 4' wide, and I want to ensure I don't make any silly mistakes that cause me to repurchase anything due to poor planning.  To follow that up, what are your favorite PH's these days?  Is Koralia still the best bang for your buck before jumping to something higher end?  I love the vortechs, but I don't really want to drop that kind of money just yet until I figure out exactly how I want the tank planned out.  Either way I need flow to get this sucker going, and would love to hear your personal opinions on the matter since the last time I bought one was 7 years ago =P  I also did a search and didn't see much recent talk, so I figured I would post this here in case anyone else has the question in the near future.

Thanks a bunch!
No escape from the underwater world.  It always pulls me back in.

150 reef project
SSI Master Diver

Offline JMM

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Re: Powerheads in a 6' tank
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 14:12:11 »
I have a 6' fish only. I run two mp40's on the ends and two gyre 350's on the ends and 2 3k gyres on the back wall. That combo giv s me pretty good flow and I have lots of rock formations in the tank to hinder flow.. I know you want ch aperture pumps and you might check out the cheaper gyres. They produce a lot of flow.