2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: CLUB PAR METER!!!!  (Read 3378 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
CLUB PAR METER!!!!
« on: January 19, 2010, 08:03:05 »
Ok, I've had this idea for awhile, but I've actually ordered it now  ;D

An apogee PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) Meter.  It measures the amount of light available for photosynthesis in the correct wavelengths that coral need.  It will let you know about where you can place coral in your tank.  Your entire tank may be good for all coral, your sandbed maybe to dim for clams, your top may be to bright for softies etc.  I will also post up everyones results, so you can compare lighting types among similar tanks and help you decide on your next lighting upgrade

How it will work:  I am buying the meter upfront.  I will charge $15 for club members or $20 for nonmembers to check their tanks.  Plus a little gas for the far drives (if we can schedule it to check multiple tanks in that area even better saves on trips).

Once I receive enough money to break even on the meter, It will become club property and we can choose how to loan it out and what we will charge for rental, damage deposit, etc.

Please let me know if you are interested. VOTE!!  :laugh:
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

Re: CLUB PAR METER!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 08:16:08 »
how much are they
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 09:00:17 »
It was about $200 after shipping and all. I figure it will take about 15 people for me to break even before it's club property.

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline hamiltro

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 13:52:50 »
I have been wanting to run a test on reflectors; been debating on creating a mirror one, with blends like a metal one, so how much better a reflection is vs a reflector
55 gal working on upgrading to 120 with a 55 Sump(unless I find a deal on a bigger tank)

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 13:55:36 »
I wouldn't mind just donating another $5-10 just to have one in the club. I'm not interested in reading my par values currently, but it would be something I'd like to be able to do in the future and having one in the club would be a benefit for everyone thats a member. Just my 2 cents on it.... and let me know who/where to send the money!

:)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 15:19:35 »
Yep, my thoughts exactly. It's one of those expensive pieces of equipment that doesn't make sense for an individual to own. I think a few of us had this idea in the past, I'm just currently at a point were I have some Christmas cash to float it

I'd also be intrested in how much worse a mirror is than real reflectors. People talk of the losses as light passes through the glass twice, but I have a hard time believing it's a huge deal

Offline Rayman

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 17:54:33 »
i would like to try this out once the 120 is set up, good idea.

slandis3

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 19:15:14 »
I don't think its as big of a deal as let to believe but, If you want max par you want metal. Also you have to watch the heat from the bulbs it may crack a mirror. Stickboy is the glass master here he might know.

Offline hamiltro

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 19:23:35 »
i do not know if his is just a flat piece but i would do something more like
    /\/\
  /      \
/          \     not just a flat piece copy how a real reflector is modeled, might need to look into different types or mirror did not thing about light pass through
55 gal working on upgrading to 120 with a 55 Sump(unless I find a deal on a bigger tank)

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 19:34:29 »
I don't think heat would be an issue with T-5s, but MH...

Hamiltro and I have wondered together about mirrors vs. metal

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 20:02:00 »
That is awesome Wes, thank you for making the purchase and sharing it with the club.
It will be neat to have a thread with par results and equipment that generated it. Will help a lot of us make informed decision on bulbs, ballast, reflectors etc... Always wanted to measure those great eBay bulbs that Josh runs. Sure would be a great alternative to the high dollar ones if par is good. This is going to be fun.

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 01:23:17 »
im curious to see how this lumenbright stacks up pound for pound

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 08:29:19 »
First off, I think it would be awesome to have a club PAR meter, for real world testing in actual tanks.  I would definitely support, and contribute to this project.  The more data the better! 

There were several articles published in 2003 and 2004 which cover the topic.  The technology has changed, but the process that was used to gather, compare and present the data might be applicable.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/feature.htm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2003/feature.htm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2004/feature.htm

Also, because they were mentioned, I've attached a product review on the LumenBright reflector's.  Hope this helps.

Mitch
Dayton - 45459

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 08:30:26 »
cool nice find
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 17:48:42 »
Ok I got the invoice today.  Shipping in 1-2 weeks.  It was a 3 week lead time.  More info when i receive it

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 17:55:20 »
wow...  do they build them to order?  :)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 18:29:47 »
cool cant wait
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 09:16:11 »
I'm not sure I want to test mine...I bet it will tell me to buy new bulbs!  ::)         :)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 00:47:13 »
IT SHIPPED TODAY!!!

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 00:48:28 »
woot!
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 08:00:22 »
Great! I will pitch in Wes.  Thanks for ordering.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 08:51:47 »
COOL! 

Offline hamiltro

• Juvenile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 11:30:43 »
Cool let us know when it is rental-able  :laugh:

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 21:21:14 »
ITS HERE!  I was sitting around wondering why it didnt show up today so i checked the tracking and it said delivered....???... So i go out to the porch and dug around and found it lol... it was delivered and covered with snow and i walked right by it this afternoon lol

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 21:51:34 »
Just tested my tank, not as bad as i thought it would be.  I'm around 225 around 4" down were all my SPS is, 125 a few more inchs down where the majority of my coral are, and 70 on the sandbed (thats were my mushrooms, xenia, GSP, and toadstool are).

I have 4x54 T5.  2 bulbs are aquablue plus and the other 2 are 10k.

Just for curiosity I checked and I am at 300 just above the water, my light sits about 4" of the water