2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Attention All Ohio Reef Members HELP IS NEEDED for public aquarium  (Read 5254 times)

marinelife

I am heading up a frag project in this area and am working with CVRC to help them get frags for New Orleans, Aquarium of the America's

For detail check out the link provided

http://www.masohio.com/forums/index.php?topic=388

You can post here or there any questions
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 13:12:46 by marinelife »

Offline aquavista99

I have tried to contact the Audubon Institute's Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans directly to confirm whether the Aquarium was accepting coral donations at this time and, to date, no one has replied back.  Like other non profit organizations, the Aquarium of the Americas does accept cash donations.   The Aquarium is located along the banks of the Mississippi River in the historic French Quarter. It is Louisiana’s No. 1 tourist attraction and exhibits include the underwater world of the Caribbean Sea, the mysterious Amazon Rainforest and the waters that give New Orleans its lifeblood: the Mississippi River and Gulf of Mexico.

If you are interested in contributing to this organization, and you would like to know if your gift is tax-deductible, you can contact the Aquarium directly:

Audubon Institute's Aquarium of the Americas

Mailing Address: P.O. BOX 4327, New Orleans, LA 70178

Street Address: 1 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130

Phone: 1-800- 774-7394

Email: air@auduboninstitute.org

The world-class Audubon Institute's Aquarium of the Americas was one of the saddest of so many terrible Katrina stories. The facility had superb hurricane contingency plans, not to mention engineering that one only wishes was shared by the levee system, and consequently both building and fishy residents came through the initial storm beautifully. But as the days following the evacuation stretched out, generators failed, and most of its 10,000 fish died, breaking the hearts of not only the staff who worked so hard to keep their charges healthy and alive, but just about anyone who had ever visited this lovely place. Survivors include the popular otter pair, the penguins, the leafy and weedy sea dragons, and Midas, the 250 pound sea turtle.

The Aquarium will reopen on May 26 at 12:00 noon. A special early admittance for Aquarium members only will begin at 9 a.m.

Audubon Nature Institute is 501(c)3 not for profit that operates a family of museums and parks dedicated to nature. These New Orleans facilities include: Audubon Park, Audubon Zoo, Woldenberg Riverfront Park, Audubon Aquarium of the Americas, Freeport-McMoRan Audubon Species Survival Center, Entergy IMAX® Theatre, Audubon Louisiana Nature Center, Audubon Center for Research of Endangered Species, Audubon Wilderness Park, Audubon Insectarium and Audubon Nature Institute Foundation.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 10:27:51 by aquavista99 »

marinelife

this is for real, They have already shipped two sets of corals to them. If you do not want to be involved and help out that is ok no one is forcing anyone

Offline aquavista99

If you do not want to be involved and help out that is ok no one is forcing anyone

My reply to your post encourages people to get involved by providing members of Ohio Reef with contacts to make cash donations to the Audubon Institute's Aquarium of the Americas directly. The information I provided,  in no way,  diminishes anything you or others are trying to accomplish for this organization.

marinelife

yeah there are different ways to give if you know people that work there and it is all in how you read what you wrote. Taking frags from club members is better than taking from the ocean

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
Eric all that Tim was saying is that there are many ways to give, you can donate directly.  The advantage of this is the tax write off.  Most of his post is educational and informing others of what this place is and the reasons to donate to them.  I feel it is a good ideal to pool the resources of many people to make large group donations.  For many this is the only practical way to donate they simply do not have enough frags to make it worth there efforts to ship there own donation to them. 

If you have enough coral frags to support your own shipment then it is great to coordinate directly because of the tax deduction.  Those that want to help and can not give goods can give cash.  These people would want to contact the aquarium at the info that Tim provided and donate directly.

marinelife

Scott but that is what this is, we are doing s group shipment from everyone that wants to donate a frag or two. All frags would be shipped together. This thread was not started as another way to jump Eric, This was started so people with extra frag that wanted to help out could contact me and get involved.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Personally, I don't see any "jumping" of Eric going on here.

Aquavista double checked, as one should always do in this day and age, and also provided an alternate means of helping out the aquarium.

Offline aquavista99

For anyone who is interested in donating coral frags to the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas, please contact marinelife (locally) or Christa at the Aquarium for more details. I know the previous thread about this subject was locked, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I just received confirmation back from Aquarium stating the following:

"We would welcome any and all [coral] donations so that we might get our Coral Exhibits back on line.  We are re-opening our Aquarium on May 26th and I would love to talk to you before then.  Do you have anything that you would like to donate?  Just shoot me an email and then we can go from there.  Once again, thank you for contacting us and thinking of us.  Christa" kgrzenda@AudubonInstitute.org

I can post follow up information here from Christa if this thread remains open. Again, this is for a good cause, so if you can give a helping hand, I am sure the Aquarium would appreciate your kindness.

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
Thanks for your legwork on this.  Every thing that anyone can spare should help out greatlly.

Offline aquavista99

Thanks for your legwork on this.  Every thing that anyone can spare should help out greatlly.

Since my systems are less than a year old, I do not have a lot of frags to share at this time, so I plan on making a cash donation instead.

To learn more about the Aquarium's progress since Hurricane Katrina, please visit http://www.auduboninstitute.org.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
I am going to merge these 2 threads. I will then start a thread to post what you can donate and make it a sticky.