2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Poor crab  (Read 3915 times)

Offline Emily

• Scavenger Queen
  • Adult
Poor crab
« on: May 23, 2006, 23:07:52 »
Hey everyone-
   I have a problem with one of my crabs, and I think it is one of two things.   First off, a small red hitchiker crab I have had for a year has lost most of his legs.  Regretfully, the poor guy probably will die within days (tears are comign to my eyes just thinking about it).  THe first thing that came to mind is that my bigger zebra hermit has been pulling its legs off (I thought this was what happened to a small emerald I used to have, but I am not so sure now).   I also checked all the parameters   (ca, phosphates, nitrates, ammon, nitrites, ph, sg, etc).  Nitrates are a eensy bit high, but everything else is fine.  I am wondering if the crabs had issues with molting, but the hermits are stillg oign strong.  Any ideas?   Could it be the terrorizing zebra hermit?  If it is, he will soon meet gunther the mantis shrimp.  Does Iodine help with molting?  That is one thing I haven't put in my tank recently since the move (haven't had the money to buy any yet).  Any help is appreciated...I don't want to lose anymore critters:(
Emily

Offline aquavista99

Re: Poor crab
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 23:42:52 »
Yes, iodine is good for all crabs, snails and other crustaceans. However, I do not use it anymore because my reef is wild (filled with lots of bad hitchhikers, like mantis shrimp and gorilla crabs). I purchased over 100 blue leg hermit crabs from Joel a few weeks ago and guess how many hermits I have left now? If you guessed zero you are right. I had a lot of good hitchhiker crabs as well, like about 30 or so porcelain crabs who are now gone as well. Trochus snails seem to stick around for a while.

I think it was the small gorilla crabs who wiped out my hermit population. At Least the mantis will keep the gorilla crabs in check. Balance is good I suppose.

Sorry about your little red crab. I have Hawaiian zebra hermit crabs in another system, and the larger ones do go after and kill smaller hermit crabs. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 23:46:10 by aquavista99 »

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 19:20:26 »
sushi tonight ;)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 19:21:10 »
sushi tonight ;)
   :o   :o   :o   Shame on you!!!            

;)

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 19:23:47 »
with wasabi and soy.  mmmmm mmmm good.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

Offline verper

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 17:18:59 »
Yes, iodine is good for all crabs, snails and other crustaceans. However, I do not use it anymore because my reef is wild (filled with lots of bad hitchhikers, like mantis shrimp and gorilla crabs). I purchased over 100 blue leg hermit crabs from Joel a few weeks ago and guess how many hermits I have left now? If you guessed zero you are right. I had a lot of good hitchhiker crabs as well, like about 30 or so porcelain crabs who are now gone as well. Trochus snails seem to stick around for a while.

I think it was the small gorilla crabs who wiped out my hermit population. At Least the mantis will keep the gorilla crabs in check. Balance is good I suppose.

Sorry about your little red crab. I have Hawaiian zebra hermit crabs in another system, and the larger ones do go after and kill smaller hermit crabs. 

Talk about an agressive tank!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 17:20:56 »

Talk about an agressive tank!

WOW no kidding!  I think i would be taking that apart and getting those mean guys!