2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: bubble algae  (Read 4096 times)

wayne

bubble algae
« on: May 30, 2006, 13:38:08 »
I have a small piece of rock that is covered in zoos that I have glued to a larger rock that can't be moved (easily).  Just recently, in the center of the zoos, appeared a single small, hard, bubble, which I believe is bubble algae.  What can I do to safely remove this without spreading it?  It's about the size of a pencil eraser right now.

Wayne

Offline aquavista99

Re: bubble algae
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 14:25:51 »
 I recommend removing the rock from your aquarium and use a razor blade to cut underneath the rock where the  bubble algae is attached, then wash off  the rock/coral off with saltwater from a separate container, then place the rock/coral back in your system. If you try to do this while the rock/coral remains in your system, and you puncture the bubble algae, it will reproduce like wildfire, which is a bad thing.

I have successfully removed bubble algae several times before per the above instructions.

wayne

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 14:58:08 »
I'll try that tonight.  I dread having to break apart my rocks to get that piece out  >:(

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 15:24:39 »
Wayne you might try an emerald crab.  I had 1 very large bubble and the crab took care of it in the night. That was several months ago and I have not seen any since. 

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 15:57:38 »
I had 2 pieces of BA, but no more!! I saw one floating around the tank the other night so I netted it out. I was then able to knock the second one off with the net and get it. They are much "harder" than I thought they would be.

CrownSushi

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 18:54:00 »
I just got bored a little.
so, tried to remove my BA.
pretty easy....

btw,
Why BA or HA bad?
guessing...spread alot fast..?

Question:
When an emeral crab takes care of it, wouldn't the crab pop the BA and spead its spore?
just curious how it does...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 18:57:08 by CrownSushi »

Offline verper

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 21:32:59 »

Question:
When an emeral crab takes care of it, wouldn't the crab pop the BA and spead its spore?

I've always wondered that also.  Many times you can just scrape the BA off of the rock without puncturing it like ohioreef said.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 21:35:38 »

Question:

I've always wondered that also.  Many times you can just scrape the BA off of the rock without puncturing it like ohioreef said.
  Apparently it's not a problem. I've heard of several people using Emerald crabs for this (me being one of them) and it's not a problem.   I wonder if maybe they poke a hole and suck the spores out then eat the bubble shell?  Just a thought...

CrownSushi

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 10:16:05 »
how about...

even if spores are released,
the crab's eating rate is higher than BA's reproducing rate.
crabs even eat unmatured BA...no more spore spreading...
so, finally crab wins...

just a thought...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 11:51:38 »
how about...

even if spores are released,
the crab's eating rate is higher than BA's reproducing rate.
crabs even eat unmatured BA...no more spore spreading...
so, finally crab wins...

just a thought...
Crabs win and you win.  Crab gets good tasting BA and you get tank free of BA  :)