2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: MARINE VELVET  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Swindec

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Fry
MARINE VELVET
« on: January 01, 2021, 11:42:19 »
Well after years of playing roulette not having a quarantine tank disaster has struck. I purchased several fish from Gerber’s and what I thought was ich has turned out to be marine velvet. Wiped out most of the fish in my tank in a short period of time. I have setup a QT and have gotten my only 4 survivors in QT. I now have many questions.
I added cupramine to the QT. What level should I maintain that and for how long? How often and how much of a water change? I’ve read of then using prazipro in QT. Thoughts? How long should the main tank remain fallow? Main display still has coral and two shrimp. How often should I put food in the main tank? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
Re: MARINE VELVET
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 18:27:23 »
When I qt’ed fish I used copper power and a couple other things. If you treat with copper your absolute best investment is the Hanna Low range copper checker. I added a link for what I think is one of the best forums to really learn what you need to do. Take it slow as you have a lot to learn.

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?forums/fish-diseases-diagnosis-treatment.4/

Offline Swindec

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 15:55:00 »
I ordered the Hanna checker a couple days ago. Should arrive soon. There seems to be a lot of opinions on what to run copper level at. What is working for the group?

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 22:10:11 »
Going through this right now. I had a major set back in my 180, got hit with the velvet and lost 1/2 my stock. The rest are going through copper right now. Sucks

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 09:39:34 »
I’ve not got a ton of experience with copper but I can say that with Cupramine it’s relatively easy to maintain copper between .3-.5 and as far as I can tell the fish did not have any negative effects from it. It seems to be safer that the old school copper treatments. Just test it every day do you know you are maintaining your levels.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 16:40:40 »
I had terrible luck with fish disease the before I set up my UV sterilizer. Went fallow, strict QT..etc. eventually that became too much hassle so I started just putting them in and betting on the UV to keep things under control. It’s been a couple years now and while I do see the occasional spot once in a while, the fish have stayed healthy.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 15:22:13 »
thanks for the UV input