2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Trip to Detroit Area & All the LFS  (Read 2783 times)

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
Trip to Detroit Area & All the LFS
« on: October 10, 2008, 11:49:40 »
I'll be heading up the the Detroit/Ann Arbor area (my old haunting grounds) early next week to see my grandparents off for the winter. There is a wealth of LFS around the Detroit airport that I used to frequent and I will be trying my best to stop by some of them. If anyone is looking for something in a particular let me know. Some of the stores carry truly amazing stock.

I used to student teach next door to The Fish Guys, here's the Acan shipment they got in earlier this week.
http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75454

Tropicorium is a lot like Marine Solutions or Reef Systems.
http://www.tropicorium.com

No promises that I'll actually make it but I'm going to pester my wife to stop by on the way home and in addition to anything I might pick up I am happy to take orders and deliver on our way back through.

Not sure how many of those Acan's are going to be left but I can always hope  ;D

Offline aquavista99

Re: Trip to Detroit Area & All the LFS
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 12:15:39 »
What about Choice Aquariums in Farmington Hills. Perhaps the best LFS in the entire Detroit Metro area? My last visit was in August 2008. Purchased a nice green bird's-nest frag from Choice Aquariums back in 2005 which has since been fragged many times in this area.

http://www.choiceaquariums.com/

Midwest Express

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 13:01:57 »
I go to tropicorium ever so often.  They like the fact that we drive up there from down here and take care of us.  Nice healthy corals too.  I have not had any probs at all so far with my stock that I have gotten from them.

Top notch!

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 13:15:58 »
Choice is where I bought my first tank ^_^
I tend to find that they're where you go when you're looking for nifty and hard to find fish. They used to get in wrasse and angel fish you couldn't find anywhere else in the midwest. The guys over at Tropicorium are just awesome. Tropicorium is pretty much where I first stocked my tank. Almost all of my lace and live rock came from there, I bought my first fish (a pair of false percs) there when they were just the size of my thumbnail, and a lot of my corals now started out in their $10 frag tank.
Choice is too far north for this trip but I'll stop by them again when I go up for Christmas.

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 14:27:45 »
Maybe it will be easier to just post some pics  :)
These are from his shipment earlier this week.

I want some of these!

These too!

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 14:32:18 »
He's got another order coming in tonight, if he posts up any pics I'll post them here too.

Midwest Express

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 14:39:27 »
Those are some awesome colors! very nice.  What type of lighting and bulbs were used in the photos?

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 01:50:32 »
If that's the tank he usually keeps his Acan's in, that's t-5 lighting, just about 1200 watts over a 300 gallon tank.

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 21:00:11 »
We're heading out tomorrow morning. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM and I should get it on my phone... which (go figure) at the moment is delivering e-mails more reliably then phone calls.