2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Eyefi Wireless SD card  (Read 5310 times)

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Eyefi Wireless SD card
« on: June 14, 2010, 21:27:20 »
Ok, well not totally reef related, but when taking pictures of my reef..........love it.   Ever find yourself wondering if the shot you just took was good.  Turn the camera off, pop out the card.....put the card in your computer.    You get the drill.

I had been looking at these for a while, and really wondered if they would really work well.

http://www.eye.fi/

I just picked up the basic card.   Setup is pretty easy by plugging into your computer.  The package comes with a SDHC card reader, if you don't have one.   You program your wireless network settings into the card.   Now move the card to your camera, and then the card interfaces with software running on your computer to wirelessly and automatically transfer the photos over your wireless network.  Take a picture, and a few seconds later, it's on your PC.

I'm a bit curious to see how well my battery handles this in my camera.  But that is the only possible downside right now.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Eyefi Wireless SD card
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 21:34:23 »
That is a really neat concept. I think it goes directly to the internet rather then you PC. Let us know how you like it.

One of the things I like to do is connect the camera to a Laptop. With the EOS software you can completely control the camera, snap the picture and view it real time. With minor adjustments you can really get a great shot.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 21:42:46 »
I am super interested in one of these.

I want to know how well it works for you.

What Camera and battery life? I get killer life with my Rebel XSi, I don't want to hurt that.
PC or Mac? If Mac does it interface seamlessly with iPhoto?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 22:04:49 »
It can post automatically to the internet, but not requried.  Files are transferred to your PC (You can select the directory, also supporst MAC, but not sure how well (I don't do Mac)  I'm using a Nikon D80, so we'll see how the battery does.  But it has to use a little power to transmit, and there has to be some sort of data engine on the card.  It's freaking amazing how small this stuff is anymore.

Does Canon include the camera control software?  Nikon charges $180 for this software.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 22:12:50 »
Man I've always wanted one of these since they came out a few years ago!  What is the price down to now?
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 22:25:24 »
The basic version of the card is $50

SDHC Card
Wireless B/G/N
4GB Flash
USB SDHC Reader

You can pay more and get more memory or things like GeoTagging.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 22:30:28 »
The basic version of the card is $50

SDHC Card
Wireless B/G/N
4GB Flash
USB SDHC Reader

You can pay more and get more memory or things like GeoTagging.

But the GeoTagging is WiFi only right?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 22:39:47 »
But the GeoTagging is WiFi only right?

I didn't get that feature, really wasn't interested in it......but according to the website it's using WiFi Positioning System.  And The SkyHook Service

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 01:50:55 »
That sounds really neat Paul, didn't know transfer to PC. That is really good.

Yes the Remote Control Software comes with the Cannon.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 07:43:44 »
Dumb question here...If I'm in Florida can it send them to my PC in Ohio or would I have to take my laptop with me to Florida? 

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 08:19:13 »
thats perrty cool
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 09:57:06 »

Does Canon include the camera control software?  Nikon charges $180 for this software.

Ouch! Its free and works well. I have sat in the house with a long USB cable on cold nights to photograph the Orion nebula. Lots of features.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 10:30:54 »
Dumb question here...If I'm in Florida can it send them to my PC in Ohio or would I have to take my laptop with me to Florida?  

You would have to have a wireless router nearby.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 10:34:02 »
You would have to have a wireless router nearby.

So I could go to a local McDonalds and send it? Or if my condo has a wireless I could do that?

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 10:43:37 »
So I could go to a local McDonalds and send it? Or if my condo has a wireless I could do that?

Not Mcdonalds. The require that you sign and read the TOS before you can use the access point.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 21:01:16 »
Okay, Now I'm torn.  I downloaded the trial of Nikon Camera Control Pro 2

I can see how that would help.  I've been shooting with about a 2 second timer on the shutter, so I can let go of the camera.  The software definitely gives more flexibility.   Things like White Balance and the image processor have more setting control

On the other hand, do I really want the extra wire connecting.....hmm I could spend more money and get the wireless controller for the camera too, then it would connect and control over wi-fi.

Anyway, this thread digresses.  If we want to talk about PC-Camera control, lets start a new thread.  Leave this one to the Eye-Fi, which is still a neat little card.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 23:20:05 »
Okay, Now I'm torn.  I downloaded the trial of Nikon Camera Control Pro 2

I can see how that would help.  I've been shooting with about a 2 second timer on the shutter, so I can let go of the camera.  The software definitely gives more flexibility.   Things like White Balance and the image processor have more setting control

On the other hand, do I really want the extra wire connecting.....hmm I could spend more money and get the wireless controller for the camera too, then it would connect and control over wi-fi.

Anyway, this thread digresses.  If we want to talk about PC-Camera control, lets start a new thread.  Leave this one to the Eye-Fi, which is still a neat little card.

Your right, this thread is digressing. But before we stop, I have one more thing. Google plans for a remote. I built my Canon remote for about $8 with crap from radio shack, and an old Samsung phone headset I had laying around. I built mine with a toggle switch so I could use the bulb mode and walk away without holding it, or set it to continuous and walk away. Lots of good lightening pics, and astrophotography came from this.

Which Nikon do you have?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 19:35:39 »
D80

Another comment about the Eye-Fi with the Nikon D series cameras, when the "AutoMetering" shuts down, it shuts down access to the SD card.  So you do need to adjust the powerdown time delay to give the Eye-Fi enough time to transmit the files.