2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: rearranging help  (Read 3614 times)

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
rearranging help
« on: May 11, 2010, 13:29:15 »
I had been planning on moving but with economy and housing market I don't see that happening.
However, during this I have decided I'd like to rearrange my rock work, add more sand, and remove some of the fish.
This is where I am unsure of what to do (at least the order)
Tell me what you think:

1. take out some of the live rock and put it in a holding tank (which I will have to find something out there to borrow, hint hint)
2. next drain water (actually in conjunction with step 1) into holding tank
3. remove corals
4. remove unwanted fish (should I try to remove all?)
5. add sand (after it has been rinsed) I was going to this by sliding little amounts down pvc and letting it settle)  should I do this slowly over a long time to be safer?
6. quick razor blade to tank for coraline removal
7. reintroduce rock for landscaping
8. place corals on better locations.

Heres some questions:
Will this work?
How much of the 220g should I drain before moving around the bottom rocks (I was planning on removing the bottom 50g of water and doing a water change)?
Can this be done over one day, without causing too much stress?
I am just concerned about a nitrate jump but think if I don't get crazy moving things around I 'should' be ok.

Don't hesitate to critique anything.  I very much appreciate and need your help!!!!!
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: rearranging help
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 13:37:16 »
Good thread ... getting ready to do this myself ... let the opinions begin  :laugh:
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 13:44:50 »
I've done this same thing a few times, granted it was on a much smaller scale :)

Everything you list sounds pretty good. I'd take all the fish out if you can, it will prolly be less stressful then leaving them in the tank while you're adding sand and rocks back in.

You can do it in one day, but give yourself WAY more time than you think you'll need.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 14:16:14 by jd »
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 14:14:00 »
would you add the sand at a later time?
should you add it on top of the present sand?
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 14:16:52 »
i would at the sand at the same time  and ontop of ur sand
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 14:17:24 »
How deep is your current sandbed?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 14:20:32 »
correct me if i'm wrong but i don think you want to cover the old sand with new, without working it in, it will kill all the bacteria and stuff on and in the old sand

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 14:24:56 »
correct me if i'm wrong but i don think you want to cover the old sand with new, without working it in, it will kill all the bacteria and stuff on and in the old sand
ya that right from what i know
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 14:30:22 »
How deep is your current sandbed?
not deep at all around an inch.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 14:31:18 »
that was my understanding also but I didn't want to stir up the sand too much.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 14:39:36 »
not deep at all around an inch.

With a bed that small, you could get away with mixing your new sand in with the old, IMO
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

KeepOnReefin

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 18:09:28 »
Your definitely going to see a Nitrate spike, depending on the age of the system. When you start pulling out rocks all that built up detritus is going to get washed off the rocks. Same with the sand. I would add small amounts of sand at a time slowly, with the pipe as you mentioned.

You would probably benefit from a canister filter stuffed with floss for a few days to pull out that crap you stir up.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 21:33:22 »
and have plenty of new salt watter maybe up
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 22:45:26 »
Did you do the change over?

How did it go?  I am about to finish building my stand and then my canopy.  After I do that I am moving my tank to my front living room.  I was thinking that when I do that I was going to add a sand bed to my tank.  I just have a dusting of crushed corals in my reef now.  Light shines through it, it is so thin.
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 22:56:05 »
I did about a month or so ago.  Everything went good.  I would take pics but my lights went out so I have been running several weeks with half my lights (the ballast is supposed to be in soon).  I added sand on top of my original sand bed, so it is now about 2-3" deep.
I also moved the rocks around quite a bit and ended up changing out about 30 gallons of water (in a 220g) and everything(knock on wood) is doing fine.  The fish I've added, 4 anthias, wrasse, swallowtail angel, and purple tang are all doing well!
I would just suggest try not to stir up your sand bed more than necessary!!!
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 23:00:30 »

I would just suggest try not to stir up your sand bed more than necessary!!!
great point
glad to hear every thing is doing well
SIZE DOES MATTER