2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Not Quite new but been gone for about a year..... (and then some)  (Read 4373 times)

Offline JoeAyers

Just thought I would introduce myself to the group as I am sure there are a bunch of new people in the club. I am Joe Ayers. I go by JoeAyers on the forums (very creative I know).  I have been in saltwater for a lot of years and freshwater for many many years before that.  About a year and half ago I sold my 200 as we decided to move to a smaller house back in my old home town to be closer to the grand parents. My current tank is am Oceanic 30.

Build thread is here http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=8454.0 Some pic links are broken and clearly there aren't any new ones.  I will try to update it at some point and fix the links.

So... Where have I been?  All the normal stuff, we moved, new baby, blah blah blah, but really it was because I spent all of the free time (and income) building a houseboat (floating house) instead of working on the tank for the last year.  So the story goes like this. My parents have had a floating house on Norris lake for about 10 years. We used it occasionally, but between them and my sister and family, etc there wasn't a lot of time for us, and now that we have 2 kids things were crowded. I've always said that someday I want to live and work remotely from a houseboat so like all of us with dreams of bigger aquariums, cars, motorcycles etc I am always searching craigslist for deals. Long story way shorter I eventually found a deal on a very old boat that has grandfathered registration numbers.  There are pretty strict rules about what you can do when it comes to rehabbing/building so I had to buy something existing and rehab/rebuild vs building new from scratch. 

So this is what I bought. Sight unseen Thanksgiving 2010.

Even before I bought the house I had started buying materials to build a houseboat.  I searched auctions and craigslist like I was building a new tank.  Everything in it was used or deeply discounted new stuff from auctions. Very very little came from retail stores. 

Since the houseboat was in Tennessee and I live in Cincinnati I had to do a lot of planning and prep work up here and haul it down.  I built all of the walls and trusses up here and loaded them on two 20' trailers and hauled them down to start the tear down and rebuild during the three day presidents day weekend February 2011.

Once there we raced across the lake to the marina where the houseboat was moored and started tearing it down.

Day 1 - Tear Down

Day 2 - Bring is back across the lake to our house. It was a 20 mile trip @ less than 5mph.   We finished the tear down and cleaned the dock as much as we could during the trip back.

Day 2 - Once back we put some extra floatation under and started rocking it out. For the build I had My dad, father in law, two uncles and a buddy. Most of us have done one form or another of building for our entire lives so it went like clock work.

Day 2 & 3 - We were tied to the shore for the initial framing but only had the weekend to stay there as we had to pull the boat out to our mooring spot next to my dad's house before we left to come home.

By the end of the weekend, which started Friday around noon and ended Monday around noon We were dry. The house was completely wrapped in house wrap by the time we left and tied into position on the mooring line.

At the end of March was spring break for my Dad and several of the other guys so we headed down for a week. I actually got down there about 4 days early and took as much material as I had. siding, roofing, interior walls that were already built, insulation etc etc etc etc etc etc you get the picture. Here is a shot of me using a makeshift barge to push over some of the lumber and metal roofing.

Once I had some help we started in on the build pretty hardcore again.  Starting with getting the roof up and windows in.

Then we sided.

Then we moved to the inside.

There are a lot more pics in my photobucket

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/jpayers/Houseboat/?start=all

All in all we had 20 total days of work (over 6 months) from the time we tore it down until the time we said complete enough to use it for the summer.  So that is what I've been doing. Hopefully I can get some better pics in the coming weeks now that it is finished.  If anyone has any questions let me know.

Joe

Offline HUNGER

Re: Not Quite new but been gone for about a year..... (and then some)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 14:20:08 »
wow that looks great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 14:22:46 »
That is simply AWESOME Joe !!!
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 14:26:01 »
Amazing Joe!!.. I have always wanted to own just a dock on a lake and have a house boat.  What was the cost of the old boat and what did you use/ how did you redo the floation?

75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 14:46:40 »
Thanks all.

Amazing Joe!!.. I have always wanted to own just a dock on a lake and have a house boat.  What was the cost of the old boat and what did you use/ how did you redo the floation?

I paid $2,500 for basically the dock and the registration.  We used dock styrofoam that has since been wrapped to meet TVA Code.  For the dock/boat slip that we will build this winter I am using permafloat floats.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 14:59:15 »
That is truly amazing.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 15:10:20 »
That is truly amazing.

Thanks Sunny.  It's basically a dream come to life for me.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 17:04:44 »
 :-ThumbUpsm :-ThumbUpsm

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 19:41:08 »
Looks fantastic, Joe. I bet the views are just amazing on that lake ...and no more yard work for you!  :-ThumbUpsm

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 21:34:36 »
Wow Joe that was like extreme house boat makeover. You got skills man.....Good job and Thanks for posting up.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 07:40:55 »
Wow Joe that was like extreme house boat makeover. You got skills man.....Good job and Thanks for posting up.

+1!  That is too cool!!!

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 08:31:33 »
Great job Joe, This looks great! I would alwasys be fishing!... I noticed one of the pics shows what appears to be a AC unit hanging out the side... do you power this house with a genie? also do you tow this or are there plans to power it?
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 05:53:18 »
Joe that is an awesome rebuild man you and your fam got mad skills on framing. keep the great pics coming and we want a pic of your first big fish you catch out your living room window watching football. 8) :party0040:

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 15:03:02 »
Thanks all.

@Boonjob - We have electric and city water. While some people do unhook from their mooring and take their places out on the lake, we do not. So we have about 1000 feet of mine cable feeding our outdoor panel @200amps. Then there is an entrance line off of it that takes 100amps into my house and my dads. Same for water.

Offline NEWMAN

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 15:38:56 »
Nice job, that looked like a ton of work. Welcome back

Offline Viggen

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 16:13:58 »
that's really cool.... & don't be a stranger :)
300g tub o fish