2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: New fish  (Read 5713 times)

Offline HUNGER

Re: New fish
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 08:11:48 »
Do a bass or ply wood shark tank ;)
+1
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 09:46:28 »
I like the Gold 8-Banded Butterflyfish.  Looks cool.  Or maybe as someone suggested a school of smaller fish would be cool.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 10:10:34 »
don't turn it into a freshwater tank... make it a FOWLR

Then you can get a trigger or two... puffers, large angels & the list goes on

300g tub o fish

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2011, 10:46:29 »
so why are you bored?  with the movement in the tank (fish/corals)?  the coral aspect?  the uptake?

what is your current fish stock list

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2011, 10:49:14 »
Mike, if you decide to go the freshwater route, you could turn your existing reef into an amazing underwater garden. I have always admired the over-the-top underwater planted garden displays....Check out this link for some ideas from other award winning freshwater display aquariums....it would be a new and rewarding challenge and less expensive to operate than your existing setup.

http://www.latimes.com/la-hm-aquascaping-pictures,0,3757517.photogallery

As for adding new fish to an existing reef (that will not break the bank), consider adding a few Pyramid butterflyfish (Hemitaurichthys polylepis)  to your reef....unlike most butterflyfish, these gems are reef safe and  are rarely offered for sale locally, unless you pre-order them.  :)

http://www.aquacon.com/Butterflyfish_saltwaterfish.html

We have talked about down sizing to a smaller (120g) reef and turning the 400 into a planted fresh water. I'm just  board with our current setup.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 11:11:42 »
thanks for the links Tim. Heck I want to set one of these up in the living room now lol.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 11:18:37 »
thanks for the links Tim. Heck I want to set one of these up in the living room now lol.

Oh snap!

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 11:31:54 »
.Check out this link for some ideas from other award winning freshwater display aquariums....it would be a new and rewarding challenge and less expensive to operate than your existing setup.

Those are pretty cool.   Some of those you are going to need a underwater hedge trimmer to keep groomed.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 11:40:58 »
I've done tons of the freshwater planted garden tanks.  Yes they look gorgeous and I love them, the problem is you can have them setup and fully stocked over night.  There is no challenge to them.  If you are getting bored, I second the fowlr idea.  Some large triggers and angels would be cool.
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 12:22:32 »
I would love to have a big titain trigger but would be afraid to stick my hand in the tank lol.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 12:44:27 »
thats why they make tongs....
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2011, 14:31:08 »
so why are you bored?  with the movement in the tank (fish/corals)?  the coral aspect?  the uptake?

what is your current fish stock list

Current is yellow tang, blue hippo, chevron tang, black perc clown, pink clown, tomato clown, tomini tang, CCB, Pink spot goby, 3 chroums, 1 cardinal.

I think part of it is the peninsula look as well. I thought it would be cool but its wearing off. For those of you that seen my 240g 8x2x2 thats the tank we miss the most. The only reason we took it down is due to the wife wanting to have that room back. With 2 kids we needed the extra room. All of the equipment was in that room which kept the noise and humidity in there as well. Here is a Pic of it

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2011, 15:25:08 »
I think part of it is the peninsula look as well.

Wish we could get your stand enclosed, and build a hood that extends from the top of your tank to the ceiling.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Re: New fish
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2011, 15:27:32 »
Wish we could get your stand enclosed, and build a hood that extends from the top of your tank to the ceiling.

Why not?
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2011, 15:29:51 »
Why not?

Asking the wrong person. I love the peninsula look. I think that it would add so much to the tank to get some enclosures around it!

Offline Viggen

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2011, 15:36:25 »
I have always wanted a Queen Trigger, had two different ones years ago.  One was a killer.... slowly ate my yellow tangs & the other who was close to 10in long was a complete whimp.  Titan's are also suppose to be great but don't they get 2ft+ in captivity?  12-20in for a queen seems to be the norm for a queen in captivity.  I like lots of fish moving & not a large tank with a single fish.

There are some good looking triggers who also get large that work great in community tanks......  Pinktails are usually on the calm side...

You could possibly add a Naso, Sohal, powder blue/brown w/o issues.  Even add a few naso's since they do not have the attitude the sohals & powders have.......

Some state bluejaw, sargassum, red tail & the cheap crosshatch triggers all work in reef tanks. 
300g tub o fish

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 15:50:19 »
If I could find a pair of blond naso's I might sell a kid or 2 to buy them lol. I have been told be a few vendors that Naso's do poor in shipping or I would order a blond in a heartbeat.

I Need to finish the floor in the room before I finish my stand. Talked about epoxying painting it but I tested the floor and it has been sealed so I would need to strip it somehow. Looks like Tile will be the better choice but that will need to wait until income tax time.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 16:01:50 »
If I could find a pair of blond naso's I might sell a kid or 2 to buy them lol. I have been told be a few vendors that Naso's do poor in shipping or I would order a blond in a heartbeat.

I Need to finish the floor in the room before I finish my stand. Talked about epoxying painting it but I tested the floor and it has been sealed so I would need to strip it somehow. Looks like Tile will be the better choice but that will need to wait until income tax time.

I can borrow our concrete grinder/polisher. It'll take that sealant off!

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 19:31:21 »
Hey Mike, if you made the "Nice List" this year, ask Santa for a pair of crosshatch triggerfish.... Not sure if they are still available (see for sale link from R2R below, if interested).  :)

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/selling-forum-livestock/67388-crosshatch-pair-sale.html

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2011, 22:39:07 »
Wow I have been good but not that good lol. Gonna try a powder blue. I have always wanted one but never took the leap due to them being prone to ICH. Marine solutions has some nice ones in stock right now.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2011, 22:43:41 »
I can borrow our concrete grinder/polisher. It'll take that sealant off!

I think it might put off to much dust, at least the one at work does anyway.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2011, 23:10:42 »
I think the small naso's do not ship well.... Joel use to get really nice ones in at his shop, if I recall he rarely had them die on him

I think the powder blues are more of a gamble vs naso's.  Like mentioned they are ich magnets but also do not ship the best.  Getting one that M.S. has had in their system for a few weeks.... & eats well you shouldn't have a problem.  Mine is a complete pig!  But they also have quite the attitude!!
300g tub o fish

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2011, 00:25:47 »
i would love to have a pair of crosshatch triggerfish
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2011, 13:19:38 »
I think it might put off to much dust, at least the one at work does anyway.

It has to be hooked up to a garden hose with a ball valve to reduce the volume.

Offline CoRaL[NaTe]81

• Fry
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2011, 15:25:36 »
http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&pid=861&cid=287

Try this guy he is awesome dont see these much I really want one... ;D