2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: My grandfather... not looking good :(  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Viggen

My grandfather... not looking good :(
« on: March 19, 2012, 23:16:50 »
A handfull of years ago my grandfather fell when working in his backyard while pulling weeds which broke his hip.  It slowed him down a bit then 2-3 years ago he did it again.... last fall he turned 100 years old & we had to move him and his wife into a assisted living facility just prior to that date.  He's been great there but his body is just tired.... last friday Hospice was called in & my Aunt & grandmother had no clue what hospice was.  So we had to let them know what it meant & all that stuff.......  Nurses stated 25% chance he would make it to Monday & he's still holding on.

Sad time.... just amazing that he's had 100 great years on this earth!  Few people are fortunant enough to be here that long.   
300g tub o fish

Offline Sunny

• Adult
Re: My grandfather... not looking good :(
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 23:33:36 »
It is sad.  But, wow  ..... 100 years.  He is very fortunate.  He must be doing something right.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 23:36:57 »
Sorry to hear that.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:15:08 »
Sorry to hear this viggen :(
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 07:28:53 »
Sorry to hear this Gary, 100 years is awesome!  You and your family will be in my prayers at this bitter sweet time.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 12:57:38 »
sorry to hear, but what a blessing of 100 years!

Offline Viggen

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 13:46:02 »
thanks everyone.... yes a blessing.... he took another turn for the worse today.  My parents/brother & most of the family are out there now.  I hope to make it out in a few hours after I get some work done..... I thought it was more important for my parents to be with him now.

300g tub o fish

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 14:00:23 »
Sorry to hear about this unfortunate news Gary.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 18:24:06 »
Well.... he passed today.  Funny thing is, we can't figure out how old he is!!  We had a 100yr party for him this past fall however the nursing home states his year of birth was 1909..... whose getting the last laugh now!!  Back in those days kids would lie about their age so they could join the military which he did. 

Thanks again everyone........... it's weird planning a funeral for my own relative. 
300g tub o fish

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 18:36:38 »
Take comfort in knowing he had a full, healthy life.  You are in my thoughts. 

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 20:12:44 »
Sorry to hear
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 22:14:20 »
Sorry about your lost. But to have over 100 years on this earth, to see the rise & fall of so many things. To  see thousands of sunrises & sunsets, to have seen kids, grandkids, great grandkids grow up. Most can only dream to accomplish so many things.

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 08:22:49 »
My prayers are with you and your family in this trying time. It sounds like your Grandfather was quite a character. I hope you have a good time telling stories about him and remembering all the unique things that he did that stay with you.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 14:14:59 »
Well said twisted!  Prayers to your family Gary

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 20:23:36 »
Sad to hear, but he saw many things in his life and would probably agree that he'd lived well.  It doesn't ease the hurt, but we're thinking about you.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 09:43:15 »
"Death . . . is no more than passing from one room into another. But there's a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see." - Helen Keller.

I am truly sorry for your loss, and my prayers are with you and your family in your time of mourning. The loss of your grandfather will leave a void in your life, but a happy memory in the heart and minds of everyone that knew and loved him. 100 years is a long time on this planet, just think of all the old friends your grandfather is reuniting with, I am sure he is receiving a very warm and loving welcome. As hard as it is to lose him, he is finally at peace; without pain and in the embrace of those who have gone before him. Remember the happy times and when things look their bleakest just remember that however long the night, the dawn will break.

with thoughts of peace and courage for you and yours,
Lauren.

As they both sank to the bottom of the river, the frog said "do you mind if I ask you something? You said there would be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion sadly replied. "It's just self destruction is my nature."