2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Flat worms on frog spawn  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Flat worms on frog spawn
« on: June 01, 2012, 15:29:28 »
I was looking @ my frog spawn & noticed flat worms on it. I was wondering if this was bad? There must be 10 on it. I seen these on the glass & didn't think anything of it. If it's bad what do I do?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
Re: Flat worms on frog spawn
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 15:31:05 »
They can block the light and cause corals damage, yes.

I've never personally done it, but many folks report success with Salifert Flatworm Exit, or various fishes (many in the wrasse family) for biological control.

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 15:32:03 »
They can block the light and cause corals damage, yes.

I've never personally done it, but many folks report success with Salifert Flatworm Exit, or various fishes (many in the wrasse family) for biological control.

+1

If they truely are flatworms.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 15:32:43 »
Wrasses, that sounds more of the way I would like to go. Any one wrass better than another?

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 15:33:59 »
Well they are flat & wormy looking. I'll try & get a pics.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 15:37:37 »
I just looked @ my hammer & it is covered in these things. They are rounded on one end & kind of looks like the top of a heart @ the other. They blend in better with the hammer.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 15:48:07 »
Here is a link to a video of what they look like.

Rust Brown Flatworm is what I think they are. & they are all over the rock & everywhere. I need a fix asap.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 15:59:14 by twizted1 »

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 16:24:31 »
Melanurus and six-line may help, but if you have an infestation already they may not keep up with worm growth.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 16:42:28 »
I just spent about 5 min. sicking them of myrock with a turkey baster. Got about 50 or so. I can't believe they are this bad. I am all over my tank all the time. I have been sick for a couple of days but I wouldn't think this happened in 2 days. I have read that a spotted mandrin eat the brown flatworms. Is there any way to hurry a couple of those thru quarantine? I am seeing tons ofpods also. So thats good. I don't want to kill those.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 11:57:16 »
Before you consider any kind of medication, siphon out as many as you can. You won't get all of them, but you can get a lot of them.

If I understand correctly it's not the flatworm exit that causes problems, it's the toxins that the death of so many flatworms dying at once produces. So any means of reducing the numbers before you kill them is good.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 13:25:13 »
Before you consider any kind of medication, siphon out as many as you can. You won't get all of them, but you can get a lot of them.

If I understand correctly it's not the flatworm exit that causes problems, it's the toxins that the death of so many flatworms dying at once produces. So any means of reducing the numbers before you kill them is good.

+1 yep the toxins that are released are the killer. A six line wrasse will help AFTER you use the Flatworm exit. Just remember ...for every 1 flat worm you see there are a hundred you cant. They can really be a pain in the butt if you dont jump on the problem now. Also, dipping your frog spawn in something like Revive or Coral RX would also be advisable

Good luck :)
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 14:21:43 »
So it would be difficult to just use a couPle of fish to help get there #'s down? I was hoping not to hav to use any chemical warfare.