2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Return Pump Recommendations?  (Read 5843 times)

Offline Neogenesis

Re: Return Pump Recommendations?
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 10:10:07 »
So I thought it may help if I post my sump design.  I have a 20L sump for my 40 breeder.  I was thinking about having a Mag 5 in a middle chamber and T off the return so if dumps into the Fuge which will then overflow into the return chamber.

Is this design workable and flood safe?

I designed a sump like this once and won't do it again.  I didn't like having the return section in the center as it was hard to manage bubble getting into the pump and getting sent back to your DT.  I prefer what I call a flow through design which flows from one end to the other.  I also don't see any bubble traps in your drawing, you may want to include those as well for bubble management.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 13:32:14 »
I designed a sump like this once and won't do it again.  I didn't like having the return section in the center as it was hard to manage bubble getting into the pump and getting sent back to your DT.  I prefer what I call a flow through design which flows from one end to the other.  I also don't see any bubble traps in your drawing, you may want to include those as well for bubble management.

The downfall to your design is full flow through the refuge.

FWIW, I've never had issues with bubbles getting into my DT. I think it depends on your flow. Too much flow and you're gonna push the bubbles through the bubble trap.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 14:29:00 »
You are correct.....it was all flow based, and I couldn't achieve the flow I wanted with that design, which was moderate to high.

With my 125g sump I have now, I flow from end to end and absolutely love it.  That's the thing about this hobby, no way is wrong, each application can be solved any number of ways.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 20:48:53 »
Below is a pic of my sump before I installed it. The dimensions are 36" wide, 15" deep (front to back), 14" tall. The skimmer compartment is 12" wide, 15" deep, 8.5" tall. The return pump compartment is 11" wide, 15" deep, 8.5" tall. The refuge is 12" wide, 15" deep, 13.5" tall.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 20:54:49 »
Here I took your sump drawing and put in my dimensions.