2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Bryopsis  (Read 6693 times)

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
Bryopsis
« on: April 22, 2014, 16:51:36 »
Please excuse Me while I cry in the corner for a while! has anyone had success with raising Mg? Any ideas as to what else am I going to kill in the process?

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Neogenesis

Re: Bryopsis
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 18:23:59 »
That's a war that's seldom won.   I would pull any clean coral, frag what you can of the rest, and bleach everything else.  Get ahead of it while you can.....unless it's already too late.  I wish you luck in your battle.

Offline chevydoc

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 21:08:12 »
Sorry to hear this. I have seen a few people have luck with raising Mg but have never had to myself.

Offline Miles

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 21:35:30 »
Hydrogen peroxide works. I'm not really sure what the correct ratio is, I've seen as high as 1:1 on other forums. I just did this on a small Zoa colony the other day. Took a plastic cup with a mixture of about 1 part Peroxide to 3 parts water (I didnt really measure, just kinda guessed), let the frag sit for 5 minutes, then pulled it out. The Zoas took a day or two to all pop back out but the bryopsis  has died off. If you have a ton of it this probably isn't going to get the job done.... 

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 22:32:30 »
Chromiumlux raised his mag for that very purpose. He can let you know his results. But he had a real fight.

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 23:35:36 »
Hydrogen peroxide works. I'm not really sure what the correct ratio is, I've seen as high as 1:1 on other forums. I just did this on a small Zoa colony the other day. Took a plastic cup with a mixture of about 1 part Peroxide to 3 parts water (I didnt really measure, just kinda guessed), let the frag sit for 5 minutes, then pulled it out. The Zoas took a day or two to all pop back out but the bryopsis  has died off. If you have a ton of it this probably isn't going to get the job done....

Zoas are so tough though what about lps sps couple softies, nem and macroalgae?

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 23:41:34 »
Chromiumlux raised his mag for that very purpose. He can let you know his results. But he had a real fight.

I'll have to hunt him down if he doesn't chime in, I need a drink soo bad I was preparing for a full crash! My nem is maybe dying idfk so ran to the store got as much carbon and rodi as I could, started to try to get them nem off running my skimmer full blast to remove as much water as possible while simultaneously fighting off two a$$hole clowns and scrubbing of as much gha while the water drains. Now the nem seems "ok" I kinda hope it dies, stupid sob!

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 23:44:22 »
I don't think I could have been hit with any more nuisances all at once even if I tried! blah rant over, time to drink till I pass out, 6am comes early!!

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 07:49:43 »
Have you posted a picture somewhere to confirm your identification of Bryopsis?   SPS is not going to tolerate peroxide.   Frag it from the rock, then treat the rock.

There have been a few Bryopsis wars here....  most have resulted in a complete tear down to eradicate it.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 08:00:25 »
Peroxide doesn't always work, my sister got Bryopsis from a frag swap, did identify it until it was to late, user peroxide in a 1:1 ratio, and it wouldn't kill it off.  It would turn white or clear, but would always return in a matter of weeks.  They ended up having to bleach the tank and start over.

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 11:11:01 »
I haven't posted pics I'll try tonight, but the only other algae I can find with similar "feathers" is caulpera and even caulpera is in the bryopsis family. luckily I am about to move so I didn't glue anything down. But it is on a couple frag plugs, I think I can manage to refrag my setosa, I'll probably have to sit on YouTube for a few hours. Will my tank survive with no rock?

Offline docsky

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 14:03:00 »
i use the kent mag on my tank and it worked. it did not happen over night but took about a month. i up water changes and kept my mag high. i am now free of the algae. i tried BRS mag first and even epson salt, these seems to have no effect so in last ditch effort i ordered the kent tech m. If you shop around you can find good deals... i have about 350g of water so i needed a lot. i also pull any rocks i could get out and poured pure h2o2 on them and scrubbed with tooth brush. This help greatly also. i did dip some coral in a 1:1 mix of h2o2 with mixed results. Some were ok others not so much.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 09:23:16 »
Can you post pics to confirm that it is Bryopsis. Bryopsis algae has many variants. Before going to extremes you need to confirm it without a doubt. I did raise my mag with Kent tech-m magnesium. It worked for me once. The second my tank crashed, The third time it did not so I had to pull everything. Just make sure if you are dosing with any automated equipment that you keep an eye on it while raising mag. I had my tank crash while doing this. Knowing what I know now I would consider starving it with Lanthium chloride treatments.
Chromiumlux

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 12:42:51 »
I had it 3.5 years ago. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with in this hobby. It took a acid wash on my rock, remove all sps corals from its substrates. Softies were hydrogen peroxide bathed (kills some). All this in conjunction of new tank upgrade where I basically started over. After that i still occasionally had a tiny piece come up deep from pores of substrate I couldn't remove corals from. Eventually with tech m mag and removing anything I seen it come up from finally killed it off. It was something I will hopefully never have to deal with again. Hope you can share pics and it is not it. If it is and is specific to a rock or two throw it away before it is to late

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 16:52:19 »
has the image hosting changed? I don't think i'm uploading them right.....

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 16:54:39 »
i guess you can only post one pic at a time? sorry if this is a double post

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 17:28:47 »
You can upload more pictures by clicking on more attachments. That looks like standard run of the mill hair algae

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 17:56:45 »
Maybe a different type of hair algae? lol I've got hair algae too and they look different.

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 19:35:11 »
I did the add more attachments thing and it didn't Work. probably operator error. 8)

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 20:23:14 »
Can I use a sheet of plastic inside the aquarium to black it out? I'm going to put an egg crate shelf above it for corals

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 20:25:28 »
Have you tried a cleanup crew or evebn a small yellow tang?

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 21:05:13 »
I've got 20 or so snails, lettuce nudibranch, hermits I guess I should buy a crap load of snails.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 21:20:45 »
It is possible it is bryposis their is a few kinds. I really am not sure. It looks a bit wispy and thin for brypopsis. Maybe someone else will chime in with more definitive anwser

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 21:28:19 »
I am kinda with Brian... Doesn't look quite like Bryopsis

Bryopsis pennata and B. plumosa

Some of the hardest to remove common species of macroalgae encountered in the hobby are B. pennata and B. plumosa. These two species have noticeable discernible midribs (center portion of the algae), that are wider than their branches. They also form a mat like root system on the rocks.

B. pennata (pictured on the left) has irregular and more sparse branching than its closely related cousin B. plumosa which has more symmetrical and fuller branching. (picture coming)There are many, many species of Green Hair Algae that have feathery branching, and are not necessarily members od the Bryopsis genus, nevermind B. pennata and B. plumosa. Simply because the hair algae in your system has branches does not mean it is one of these algae species.

The reason hobbyists despise finding this algae in their tank is because cleaner crews rarely finish it off when they snack on it. Sea hares, nudibranchs, urchins, emerald crabs, chitons, and even the larger Astrae tuber will nip at both of these species, but rarely consume it with any effectiveness.

If you do confirm you have Bryopsis:

1. Try to get on it quickly. If it is only on one rock remove the rock, remove algae, starve of light in a QT.
2. Manual Removal - If that doesn't work or get it all, remove all you can by hand. People will tell you not to do this because it will spread. Let me assure you, left untreated bryopsis will spread. Just be careful about it, and if you can pull the rock out to remove it all the better. If takes hold in the sand sift it out with a net. If you don't remove the base of bryopsis you are wasting your time.
3. Starve it out - As always if you can get down nutrients nuisance algae has a harder time taking hold, or coming back after manual removal.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 aggressively.
5. If that doesn't work try raising your magnesium to very high levels. I don't want to be blamed if this causes losses in your tank, many people have done this with great success and minimal stress, but still....please do your research and don't blame me if something goes wrong. alt I say QT.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 21:41:46 »
I guess it'll be too hard to tell without a microscope, Either way it's spreading like crazy so i'm gonna black it out until I can get a phosphate remover of some sort any recommendations?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 21:48:00 »
If it is spreading fast it is likely hair algae. Marine Algae Fix works good on it. Just remove any macro algae if you use it. Phosphate removal media is great to use all the time to maintain the tank so good call there.

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 23:07:21 »
right, I know better to treat the problem than cover it up, it just takes a while for my common sense to click in :))

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 08:06:58 »
Have to tried pulling any of it out? If so was it soft and slimy? Or is it kind of hard?

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 10:43:05 »
It's harder than shit to pull off the rocks, I had to use a wire brush but it's soft and a little slimy

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 18:54:05 by ReeferMadness »

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2014, 00:27:51 »
Sounds like gha to me too. When it gets long it gets tattered in the current. You can pull some off, but it won't actually come off the rock. The first thing to do is start working your skimmer as hard as you can. Reduce feeding. Run gfo or some other PO4 remover. This will take time and patients. But you can beat it. I did.

Offline ReeferMadness

• Juvenile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2014, 00:32:53 »
Sounds like gha to me too. When it gets long it gets tattered in the current. You can pull some off, but it won't actually come off the rock. The first thing to do is start working your skimmer as hard as you can. Reduce feeding. Run gfo or some other PO4 remover. This will take time and patients. But you can beat it. I did.

thanks, I need to start a whole new thread for the best settings for my skimmer.   :beee:

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2014, 23:16:16 »
That second pic is without a doubt bryopsis. Looks like plumosa. If this has established a root system it will be hard to kill. I would check every inch of the system. The problem with this algae is if you pull it manually you will....and I repeat will spread it. This algae is spore driven and can reproduce from the tiniest little piece. IMHO, I would pull the rock and nuke it. Make sure it's not in the sand also. I fought this crap for three years and finally won the battle. Good luck with whatever route you take.
Chromiumlux

Offline mdog3000

• Fry
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2014, 11:10:46 »
I fought that for years. Hydrogen peroxide did nothing for me. I would just have to manually clean every rock with a tooth brush at least once a week. I would follow the previous suggestions and bleach the rocks.