2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Child Support Question -- any insight would help greatly --  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
I am going to attempt to meet with an attny tomorrow, but just wondering if anyone has some insight into this situation.

My wife has been divorced for over 8 years.  No child support is paid by either parent (shared parenting).  My wife and I decided that we could live with her being a stay at home mom for our daughter and her step daughter (step daughter is 11).

Her ex has been saying that he should take us back to court because child support is based on household income.  we thought no way would my income be involved.

Well Children services said this in an email to me:

Support is calculated by the court ordered parents/caretaker for the minor child.  Combined income is not considered unless the parent does not work and is solely supported by the spouse.

I cant believe this is true.  So they are saying I am going to have to pay child support for a child that isnt even mine?  He has been pushing this ever since we got back from Disneyworld in August and bought a new GMC Acadia last month.

any thoughts?

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Re: Child Support Question -- any insight would help greatly --
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 20:16:29 »
The way I read that is, since your wife does not work and relies on you for support, you will be liable for child support. I'd be calling an attorney.

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 20:32:43 »
 how often does he have the daughter ?? since he already agreed to shared parenting. he would need to go to court an basically get himself appointed custodial parent first. before he could ask for support. sooo meaning he takes majority of care an pays most expenses on her now.  but that's just my take from my recent divorce. (which we have shared agreement)   

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 21:56:38 »
When I payed child support they did not factor in my wife's income. If she has shared parenting there is no reason for him to get support. And if for some reason the courts get stupid, have her work one day a week somewhere and have him get his portion of that. She would technically have an income that way.

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 02:50:08 »
time to pick up a paper delivery route! LOL What is that like 35$ a week? Support does still get paid if you have shared parenting if one income is must more than the other. it is crap but they base it on the child should have equal share at both houses. I pay child support and we have my daughter the equal amount of time because her mother is a piece and is lazy. I would definitely consult an attorney on this, but I bet they will tell you to have her get a part time job and then he will have to pay you guys child support if his pay is much higher than hers