2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: possible sump set up  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
possible sump set up
« on: September 09, 2008, 10:57:26 »
The sump is a 55 gallon tank.  I will have it drilled for the external pump as well as drilled to run a skimmer externally as well.  This is just an idea and I know my measurements are not exactly perfect.  Also I am not very good with drawings... so laugh away.. i did as I created this.  the picture is tough to see.  so the first chamber is for the filter sock.  then have about a 1/2"  till the next baffel which will be 8 inches tall and the chamber 2" wide to hold xenia and anthillia's (spelling??)  the another 8" baffel to hold 6" of sand.  this area will be about 30 inches long and hold macro algae and mangroves. Then you have another 8" baffel to hold in the sand then a baffel coming down from the top.  then another 8" baffel to hold sand for a cryptic zone (about 5" wide) then 8" baffel and one final baffel coming from the top.  the cryptic zone would have a black tarp (not sure what I would use) to help block light to the cyrptic zone area.

What do you think? 

Midwest Express

Re: possible sump set up
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:42:52 »
Not sure you want the cryptic zone next to your pump.  I am speaking only from what I have read, but you want the cryptic zone in the slowest movement of water.  Which I would think would be in the middle.  I'm not sure of the pump you are using and how much movement it will cause coming out of the side of your tank.

Please correct me if I am wrong because I am looking at building a similar sump and that is what has been going through my head, order and placement of everything.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 12:27:49 »
I do not think that I can get a true cryptic zone without setting up its on tank/sump.  I was going for a semi-cryptic zone if that makes sense.  So I get what you are saying and I guess an easy fix or possible solution is to just put the cryptic zone before the dsb that has mangroves and macro-algae in it.

what about the xenia/anthellia filter part?  I have heard of them just thought it would be an interesting look to the sump or should I just use that space to make my main dsb bigger

Midwest Express

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 12:44:37 »
I don't know about the xenia/anthellia filter part.  Not sure what that would be doing for you.  In my plans... since I am using a 55 as well... I am using the height to my advantage.  I am going to put the cryptic zone under the sand bed where the mangrove will live.  That way it is in the middle of the sump and will have slow(er) water movement as well as being blocked more from the light.

I was going to use the white light diffuser stuff with plastic window screen material on top to build the rack that will support the sand bed and the mangroves.  That will make the cryptic zone on the bottom.  Know what I mean?

Did you see that video on http://www.reefvideos.com/?

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 18:55:28 »
First off, I've learned to never put macroalgae right before the pump...I would add a very tall baffle to keep it from spilling over.  Once it grabs hold into your pump sponge...good luck getting it out.  The same goes for the Xenia.  I would really rethink the baffle design.  It's amazing how this stuff will get sucked into your pump...survive through the pump...and make it into your display tank.

Another thing...there was a study done a while back...if you're growing mangroves for their nutrient uptake, the study showed that chaeto took up more nutrients out of the water. 

Lastly, you'll want to make sure that the mangroves will have enough places for their roots to grab hold or else they'll just float everywhere.  Sand won't necessarily hold them down.  You'll also need to keep the light high off of them so you don't burn them. 

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 22:53:11 »
I agree with the macro-algae being by the sump.. learned from that as well.  I agree on the xenia/anthellia  they are a no go now in the sump idea for me.  I like the idea of macro algae and mangroves that is what I have on my 75 right now and i just have the feeling if it works on that why change it (but i have heard that about that macro being the biggest consumer of nutrients)

my mangroves will have approximately 2 1/2 feet from them and they 96 watt power compact.  The will be floating in styrofoam until a good root base is started then planted in a miracle mud/fiji sand mixture. 

I am planing on drilling two holes for the sump one for the external return pump (far end of the sump) at the one end (near the inlet for better nutrient extraction from "dirty" water) for a skimmer (unknown what kind at this time) to be put on at a later time.

so the idea of having the mangroves and the macro are then the cryptic zone area not a good one??? 

WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK... just make the mangroves and macro-algae section as big as I can and just for-go the attempted semi cryptic zone?

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 13:45:03 »
My .02...

If the small DSB and small cryptic zone will not add significant value as far as nutrient reduction is concerned, and since you're incorporating a skimmer in your design, why not maximize your macro area and use it for add'l nutrient export and as a home to pods, brittle stars, and the other beneficial organisms that will contribute to the diversity in your reef.
Dayton - 45459

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 13:53:10 »
I HAVE DECIDED  :o   

I am going to go with the largest section of DSB with macro algae and mangroves that I can fit in the sump along with the return section for the skimmer and return area for the pump (like aquavista99's) 

now in my sumps in the past and now I have pods all over the place.  I have never had any other life such as starfish etc...do you order them and place them in your sump?  how do you get more life in your sump other than pods and what other types of life have you seen in a sump?