2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: New member  (Read 3465 times)

riclis28

« on: November 02, 2008, 19:25:25 »
My name is Rick. Just starting with a saltwater tank. I've had all kinds of advice and believe done alot of things wrong. So far the tank has been set up for about three months. It is a 55 gal. tank. I have about 40 lbs of live rock in it. Combination of live sand and crushed coral. I am from Piqua, OH. Was told could add fish so 4 Damsels and 2 Nemo style clownfish live in the tank. Also 11 snails and 2 peppermint shrimp. 1 Valentini puffer and 2 scooter blennys. 1 Haitian anemone also live in the tank. I know things were bought too fast from talking to the man at Northdixie but it was mostly too late. Just hope things keep going OK for the fihes sake.

apelaston

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 19:37:40 »
Testtesttest the water at this point to keep ammo. down and nitrates n check to keep ur fish alive. what are ur future plans w this tank?

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 20:32:27 »
Welcome!  You're talking to the queen of doing things the wrong way in this hobby the first time around.  I'm making a site dedicated to my mistakes in this hobby.  Unfortunately, many of us have wasted precious time, energy, and money with bad information.  That is why this club exists...to promote the sharing of information and experiences.

May I ask what sort of filter you have on your tank?  How often do you perform water changes?  I'd watch out for that puffer.  I'm not 100% sure, but I believe he may develop an appetite for your little crustaceans (I'm sure some of the fish people will chime in about this later.  I keep mostly corals.)  What are your chemical levels?

We'll do our best to make sure you're on the right track with your tank.  Welcome to the club...enjoy your stay!

Nikki

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 21:42:49 »
WELCOME TO THE CLUB GLAD YOU COULD MAKE IT. YOU WILL FOUND ALOT OF HELPFUL PEOPLE HERE. GOOD LUCK.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 22:16:29 »
Welcome to the Club

quicksilver

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 08:32:13 »
HI.... ;D

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 09:05:20 »
welcome. DOnt worry everyone makes mistakes of one kind or another on there first salt tank

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 13:58:26 »
Welcome aboard!  I'm from the Piqua area too!  :)

riclis28

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 17:42:36 »
Not sure about what I want to do. I like watching the anemones flutter in the water flow and watching clownfish play in them. I like the feather dusters and things like that. I like the colorful fish also. Had freshwater tanks but the fish just not as nice I currently have a pair of Whisper EX 70's hanging on the back of the tank. My test numbers are within the given specs I have seen people on here posting. I do a 7 gal water change every week.

Offline rmstevensiii

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 19:39:56 »
My .02,

First... I want to say welcome to the club!  It's a great place to meet others in the area, who also enjoy this hobby.

Secondly, I'll second Reef'd up and say that we all have to start somewhere and we've all made mistakes along the way.  That being said, there are lots of ways to be successful in this hobby.  As long as you understand the pro's and con's of the different methods, and are making informed decisions, you'll do fine. 

In my experience HOB (hang on back) filters like your Whispers are not ideal, but "can" be made to work, provided you change out the filter/carbon pads on a regular basis... I ran smaller versions of these types of filters on my 1st 2 systems, and found that they worked best when I changed the filter/carbon pads on a weekly basis, when I did my water change.  My water parameters were stable, and my tank was doing fine, but over time, I decided that it would be more cost effective to move in a different direction. 

When/if you decide to make a change, I'd recommend replacing the HOB filters with a sump/skimmer setup and a few PH's (powerheads).  The powerheads will provide the flow (turnover) that you need to keep detritus suspended in the water column until it can be filtered from the system and a sump is a great place to place your heater and skimmer.  Alternatively, you could add a HOB skimmer and bypass the sump setup. 

As long as you have sufficient flow and a nutrient export process (filtration, skimming, water change, etc), it should be pretty easy to maintain the setup that you have.  Keep up on the weekly water changes... as these are going to be very very important with your current setup.

Good luck and enjoy!
Dayton - 45459