2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: STOP! READ THIS NOW!!!  (Read 9339 times)

MechanicalEngineer

STOP! READ THIS NOW!!!
« on: February 12, 2009, 19:52:45 »
A while back I posted about my Sunset Montipora having weird white spots on it...and ever since then, things have been getting worse daily for my tank. My frag tank has now developed the same problem, and the only link between my main tank and my frag tank is the water and the salt. To make things more interesting, this problem started about the same time I started a new bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro salt. I've been using RSCP for about the past year and a half with no problems.

Problem: Most SPS have turned dirt brown (even my green slimer). Corals have NO polyp extension and look like they are starving (tissue is tight around the skeleton.) Tissue loss has started. Even my LPS are losing tissue, and my few softies are closed. (Even my green star polyps aren't extending polyps to tell you the seriousness of the problem.) The tank is 2 years old, and has been very successful up until now.

Tank specs:

40g SPS dominant
20g sump with macroalgae and RDSB
90# LR
40# LS
2x150W MH
Tunze 9002 skimmer
Mag 12 return pump
2 x Koralia 4's
1 x Koralia 3

Fish:

Mated pair of hi-fin gobies with a pistol shrimp

Chemicals (tested with Salifert where applicable):

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.026
Alk: 9 dkh
Mag: 1350
Ca: 400
Temp: 80
Phosphates: 0 (done with a Salifert test kit...other than that, I don't know.)

Desperate, I tried searching and doing everything possible.  I finally found one guy that was seeing metal flakes in the bottom of his water mixing bucket after using Red Sea Coral Pro salt.

Scared to death, I ran to the utility room to look in my buckets...

I found metal flakes in the residue, some magnetic, some not.  CHECK YOUR SALT!!!

Offline aquavista99

Re: STOP! READ THIS NOW!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 20:01:24 »
I would contact Red Sea ASAP and save a sample. So sorry to hear about your corals. Hopefully the problem will go away by using a different brand of salt mix for now.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 20:03:35 »
Unfortunately, I used the last of the salt trying to fix the problem by doing water changes.  :(  I'm going to get the metal out of the bucket & take some pictures.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 20:06:34 »
Unfortunately, I used the last of the salt trying to fix the problem by doing water changes.  :(  I'm going to get the metal out of the bucket & take some pictures.

I can donate enough good /cycled water to replace your existing water, if needed.

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 20:07:47 »
all buckets of RSCP salt have batch numbers on them so you should be able to report it quite easily
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 20:15:49 »
Hey Nikki just curious how did you happen to determine these flakes are metal? Are they magnetic? How big are they? Not doubting what your saying, but I'm sure all salts have quite a fair amount of metal in them(I.E. potassium) a lot of the trace elements are metals. So not doubting that this could be something wrong with the salt mix(maybe it didn't get batched right, or mixed right), but are you positive it is metal in the bottom of the bucket?

Offline verper

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 20:45:10 »
I ran a mag float around inside the bag of about a quarter bucket and the top third of a second bucket.  It came out clean.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 20:47:54 »
I ran a magnet over the bottom of the bucket, and got a few flakes.  The other flakes are still metallic...and bendable.  I did see a bunch of mica flakes, but the metal flakes were different.  I took some pictures...I'm loading them now.  We'll see.  I know salt has metals in it, but there shouldn't be pieces this size (at least in my opinion.) 

Offline verper

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 20:58:36 »
I wouldn't think there would be metal flakes at all.  This is natural sea water that has been dried by evaporation, cleaned and sterilized, and packaged according to the Red Sea rep.

slandis3

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 21:00:23 »
Nikki, what are you using to get the salt out of the bucket?

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 21:03:55 »
well if it claims to have trace elements in it then it has metal in it. Look on the make up it has metal if there are those elements in it, natural sea water has metal in it.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 21:06:47 »
I ran a mag float around inside the bag of about a quarter bucket and the top third of a second bucket.  It came out clean.

I went through 4 buckets of RSCP over the past few months with no problems.  Most of my buckets came from the North Dixie Reef power buy and some others are from Just Coral purchased through Premium Aquatics. I did a sample test on one of my new buckets of salt with a mag float and it came out clean as well.

Offline verper

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 21:08:46 »
OH yeah, it has trace metal in it.  The Red Sea rep said it even has traces of gold.  That was one of his selling points - what synthetic salt manufacturer would put gold in their salt even though ocean water has gold in it.  But it should not have flakes of metal.  Seems more like something off of a piece of machinery in the cleaning process.  

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 21:11:31 »
OH yeah, it has trace metal in it.  The Red Sea rep said it even has traces of gold.  That was one of his selling points - what synthetic salt manufacturer would put gold in their salt even though ocean water has gold in it.  But it should not have flakes of metal.  Seems more like something off of a piece of machinery in the cleaning process.  
I can see that but a lot of times elements react with each other, which i can imagine could create the flakes also though.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 21:14:15 »
Yes, there should be metals...as in small amounts of iron, potassium, and such, but there shouldn't be metal FLAKES.  Maybe I wasn't looking for it before, but I definitely haven't seen metal pieces in my water before.  

I can't find any sort of identifying writing on the bucket...what should I be looking for?

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 21:15:38 »

Those were the two biggest pieces...definitely varied in luster.  The dull black one was bendable. 

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 21:18:16 »

I have been checking my RSCP salt for gold for months with no luck.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 21:20:03 »
My bucket has two labels on the lid I'm guessing that is how they know the batch number

slandis3

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 21:20:38 »
put all that you can find in some salt water over night then try and remove just the water letting the pieces air dry. If they start to crode (sp?) or rust then yes deffenatlly a problem.

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 21:20:57 »
if only i could find gold in mine as well

Offline verper

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 21:21:38 »
Those are from somethng like a bearing.  The bendable one wouldn't be black plastic?  I'd definitely contact Red Sea

Offline verper

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 21:23:03 »
I have been checking my RSCP salt for gold for months with no luck.

You have to dig a little deeper!

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 21:23:39 »
just curious scott how did you come up with that it was from a bearing?

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 21:23:47 »
Nikki, do you think replacing all your water ASAP with established water from another reef would help your corals? You could save the existing water and perhaps send some of the large flakes to a lab for testing.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 21:32:41 »
I don't know...I just...arrrgh...don't really care at this point.  I'm so beyond frustrated.  No, that bendable piece was very malleable, definitely not plastic.

Oh, if you're looking for gold, you may have better luck with your toenails.  They contain gold.  :)

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 21:42:33 »

Oh, if you're looking for gold, you may have better luck with your toenails.  They contain gold.  :)

I just checked! Just my luck, my toenails only contain traces of iron pyrite, aka, fool's gold   :'(

On a serious note, please let me know if you need access to a vast amount of cycled safe reef water for your pets.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 21:45:59 »
Sorry, thanks Tim, but I'll probably just spend tomorrow afternoon doing water change after water change.  I have no idea what sort of metal it is, how much is in the tank, or if I can even get enough out to fix the problem.  

I'm wondering what sort of metal could cause this problem.  Algae uses iron...corals use potassium, and tons of other stuff...just wondering what an overdose is.

slandis3

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 21:54:31 »
usally metal that dark is used in shipping straps. Known as spring metal. It is very bendable but it would have turned to rust by now in the bottom of the salt bag. Im really suprised that anything you found that was magnetable wasnt  completly rusty. 316 sst is on of the few metals that are "rust proof"  as well as titanium. Even 316 will break down over time. Most of the machines that would be making thisstuff would be using mainly mild steel and sst. Anything that comes in contact with the salt should be sst. Any bearings would be made of or form of steel. most bushings are made from brass of bronze. Sorry for the horrible spelling at rushing trying to type this because im at work.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 22:00:37 »
Hmmm.....

bigfalcon36

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2009, 22:14:34 »
I would still call Red Sea and file a customer complaint.  If something is messed up they'll make it right.  I have worked in manufacturing since I have got out of college and you see stuff like this all the time.  Call and file, I would ask to speak to the highest person up that you can.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 22:41:11 »
I've decided just to send them a follow-up email.  My first email before all this happened was just asking if they'd had any bad batches or had any sort of poor customer feedback about recent salt mixes.  I don't want anything from them...I just don't want someone else in the same boat as me. 

I did a 5g water change on my 15g frag tank system (mostly softies, but a few sps), and the polyps are coming back out on the sps.  Good start. 

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2009, 06:43:36 »
Wow...  Sorry to hear about all this Nikki!  What salt mix are you using for the water changes now?  I was considering changing to a new salt type.  Now I'm scared... 

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 08:31:48 »
Wow, that sucks, I'm sorry Nikki. Guess I should check my RSCP sometime. I just opened a new bucket last week. I have some water that's been mixing for atleast a week if you need more water for water changes. 18 gal of it is RSCP though, but there is a 32 gal brute down there that's full of IO water, if you want to try something different. I have to work today, but you're more than welcome to come over here and get some water. You know where everything is  ;D .

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2009, 10:41:25 »
I was considering changing to a new salt type.  Now I'm scared... 

I have no plans to change my salt mix unless more hobbyists experience the exact same problem and it can be directly linked to a particular brand and batch of salt mix. If the salt was purchased locally, then this problem should occur more often since a lot of active members of Ohio Reef use Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and purchased the salt from the same vendor during the last power buy.

I am glad to hear Nikki's tank is making some improvements and I am thankful she shared her experiences with us and will follow up with Red Sea to express her concerns as well.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2009, 15:33:13 »
I am sorry this has happened to you Niikki. I made over 700 gallons of water using RSCP from the group buy and from a massive purchase Joe and I did. I have not experienced anything like this. Do you have a pump mixing your new salt water and if so could this be material from the pump? Just a thought. I argee with Slandis that it should have been rusting if it is not ss.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2009, 16:12:05 »
The last batch of saltwater I made was 4 x 5g buckets...all using different pumps.  One bucket was with IO, and 3 were with RSCP.  The IO bucket was clean...the other 3 RSCP buckets had metal in them.  So, it wasn't the pumps unless all three pumps in all three RSCP buckets decided to bite the bullet at the same time. 

slandis3

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2009, 17:40:34 »
what are you using to remove the salt out of the bag with? Are you sure what ever you used didnt become contaminated and add stuff to the mix?

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2009, 20:22:09 »
I use a glass that stays in the salt mix...and it's not used for anything else.  Regardless, we don't have metal shavings lying around the house either.

Even if I didn't see metal in the salt bucket, changing the water with RSCP did nothing for the tank.  As soon as I switched salts, corals starting looking better.  I doubt that's coincidence.

Charlie

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2009, 11:08:19 »
I use a glass that stays in the salt mix...and it's not used for anything else.  Regardless, we don't have metal shavings lying around the house either.

Even if I didn't see metal in the salt bucket, changing the water with RSCP did nothing for the tank.  As soon as I switched salts, corals starting looking better.  I doubt that's coincidence.

I would have to agree with that Nikki.  Hopefully you will get a positive response from Red Sea.  Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2009, 12:41:34 »
Hey Charlie - thanks for the kind words.  Sorry I missed your call, but we're swamped today btw fixing the tank and working on the house. 

Also, HUGE thanks to Joel at Aquarium's Etc., who brought us a ton of pre-mixed saltwater.  Will spent most of yesterday doing water changes on both tanks.  This morning was the biggest improvement.  Everything still looks bad, but almost every coral has polyps starting to extend (except of course my two favorites)!!!  There's a ton of tissue damage, but as long as nothing else happens, my spirits are lifted a bit.  I'll post pictures tomorrow probably (and I probably won't get the photo contest voting thread up until tomorrow either...sorry.)

Thanks everyone.  Stuff like this is what really makes me appreciate this club & our sponsors.  This isn't the first time something like this has happened to me or to someone else.  Thanks to everyone that has offered us saltwater or corals to help (looks like I'll only lose a couple, if any.)  :)

Nikki 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2009, 07:03:16 »
No problem on the salt water, I hope is gets things straightened out for you.

Give us an update soon on your tanks status.

Joel

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2009, 08:59:27 »
I just bought 2 buckets of this salt.  I made up my first 20 gallon water change last night.  After it had settled out after mixing it up I could see shinny flecks in the bottem of the tub.  Now I am alittle apprehensive to use this salt.  I just decided to switch over from reef crystals to try this brand to see if it would make any difference in my tank.
Jeff

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2009, 09:48:42 »
I have used this salt for over a year, since before Joe and I went up to the Macna Conference in Pittsburg. I have not had any problems what so ever. This is not to say that there is not a real problem. I do not intend to switch, I love this salt.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2009, 10:27:47 »
The point of this post was not to tell anyone to switch salts or to give RSCP a bad name.  The point of this post was for everyone to check their salts so they don't end up in the same predicament as us.  I've used this salt a long time with great results...but this time, not so much.  I am definitely going to think about how we can prevent this from happening again on  the next tank.

jjoos99 - I did see a bunch of "shiny" stuff that looked like mica in the bottom as well.  If that's what it is, I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2009, 21:20:32 »
Just wondering what the ph was on the make-up water?  I have never checked mine before but decided to check it tonight.  I just made this batch up yesterday and tonight the ph tested at 7.08 on the water.  I have always read to match ph's for water changes.  How do you raise this and should the water test this low?
Jeff

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2009, 22:10:28 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the pH can vary by many different things, including oxygenation.  You may have not aerated the water long enough.  I don't test every batch of saltwater I make, but I usually get 8.0 - 8.2. 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2009, 06:54:45 »
The things I would do is test the ph of the water coming out of your R/O to see if it neutral, if it is excessively acid for some reason, that would bring down your ph. If it is neutral, aggressively aireate your salt water vat to drive out excess co2 for a few hours. If that doesn't bring it up then I would be cautious about using that saltwater. It should be about 8.2-8.3.

slandis3

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2009, 20:49:32 »
So how about an update. Hows the tank doing now?

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2009, 20:55:04 »
It has been kind of anticlimactic.  The tank was crashing.  Then doing a little better.  Then nothing.  What happened with Red Sea?  Can we get some pics.  I think it would be good to see some bad pics.  We all only post the good.  It might give us clues on things to look for when bad things start to happen.
Dayton,Ohio

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2009, 22:20:22 »
Sorry, but when things are this bad...saving the tank takes the majority of my time, not posting updates.

I contacted Red Sea, with no answer.  Yup, anticlimatic there.  A few corals have the start of polyps out, but whether they're all going to make it, I don't know.  My Lighthouse Acropora will be a gonner by this weekend.  I've been doing a 15g "dialysis" water change every other day.  The crashing process has stopped, but things aren't really improving either.  Sorry, just very anti-climatic.

I have pictures, but...I don't want to jinx myself by saying they're the worst.  I'll get them posted when I have a chance.

Sorry, but can ya blame me for not wanting to read this thread?  I'm doing everything I can...but I'm just watching 2 years of hard work die in front of me. 

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2009, 22:27:24 »
As we have had our differances.  I truly am sorry for you.  That really sucks to have all that come crashing down and not be able to have any control over it.  Hope things turn around soon.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2009, 22:29:03 »
Sorry, but when things are this bad...saving the tank takes the majority of my time, not posting updates.

I contacted Red Sea, with no answer.  Yup, anticlimatic there.  A few corals have the start of polyps out, but whether they're all going to make it, I don't know.  My Lighthouse Acropora will be a gonner by this weekend.  I've been doing a 15g "dialysis" water change every other day.  The crashing process has stopped, but things aren't really improving either.  Sorry, just very anti-climatic.

I have pictures, but...I don't want to jinx myself by saying they're the worst.  I'll get them posted when I have a chance.

Sorry, but can ya blame me for not wanting to read this thread?  I'm doing everything I can...but I'm just watching 2 years of hard work die in front of me. 

So sorry to hear about what happened, Nikki.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2009, 20:46:51 »
Well everyone, I have some good news.  All but two corals have finally started extending polyps (most you can barely tell.)  Those two remaining corals are hanging on for dear life, but I doubt they'll make it (but I've been saying that for a while.) 

There's a ton of tissue damage, lots of recession.  Some of the color is starting to come back (but everything is pretty much dirt-brown or bleach-white.) 

We've been doing 10-15g water changes every other day since this thread was started...and even more some days.  I've run carbon and phosphate removal to help remove toxics/metal buildup. 

I never heard back from Red Sea, but I'm planning to email them again.  I'm 99% sure it was the salt.  I've had some interesting conversations with people regarding RSCP...and I think I'll bring the points up here.  First, my bucket was one of those small buckets, so it's on a separate line than the big buckets...so if it was machinery related, the problem probably won't affect the big buckets.  But, if there was a problem with the salt itself, it could affect everything. 

On a more controversial level...RSCP salt is taken directly from the ocean.  The reps advertise how this salt has every trace element corals will need.  Well...what about all the stuff in the ocean that corals DON'T need?  The reps claim that gold is in their salt...do corals need that?  I have no clue.  My point is, oceans erode land, which can bring up toxins to the corals.  So, that toxic water can be pumped, dried, and sold.  If it was a heavy toxic element, it would sink to the bottom of the salt pile...and whoever got the bottom batch may have a ton of bad stuff.  In the ocean, yeah, the toxins will be diluted.  But, take those toxins and put them into a 40g aquarium that only has its water changed 10% per week.  We don't know what all is toxic to corals, but things are...and I'm wondering how RS controls that.

But anyway, sorry for my rant.  Thanks to all who've offered their support, fresh saltwater, and time.  If for nothing else, we can view this as a reminder that even if our chemicals all test right, things can still be majorly wrong. 

On a really positive note... I've got a 150 gallon aquarium on the way!!!!! 

Bigmoo

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2009, 21:40:45 »
Well glad to hear things are coming around for you Nikki, it is a real shame. I must say that your thoughts on the collection of salt and what may get by the quality control process is a good point. I have been reluctant to post but now that hopefully the worst is over for you I will share. Probably two or three days before you posted this I used RSCP for the first time on a 10% (reef crystals till then). It was from a small bucket that I won at the January meeting. Within a few hours my skimmer went crazy and was pulling out a lot of stuff. The next day most of my Zoa's were closed up and the polyps on my Kenya was all tucked in. After reading this I immediately began mixing up a batch of reef crystals and did a 25% the next day. It took a day or so and the Zoa's opened back up (some dissolved) and a few days later the Kenya was doing much better. I hope that it was a mere coincidence but thought I would share. Oh yes, I also ran a magnet through the bucket and pulled out a amount about the size of an eraser (diameter, not a huge pile). I would have to say that the size of the metal was nearly the size of the salt nothing like the pic above but still large enough to feel grit between my fingers.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2009, 21:44:33 »
Wow...I'm pretty much speechless.  I'm so sorry to hear that -Moo.  I sincerely hope it was just coincidence, but I'm kinda glad someone else had a similar experience so I know I'm not just going crazy. 

slandis3

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2009, 21:48:40 »
thats kinda weird because i won a small bucket of salt at the meeting. We used it with no problems. I still have some of the salt left over. I checked it out when all this went down and found nothing.I will go check again now

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2009, 22:14:37 »
Check the batch numbers with each other and see if they match.
Dayton,Ohio

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2009, 22:21:00 »
I couldn't find a single number on my bucket at all...go figure.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2009, 22:23:29 »
That is really strange.  I wonder if they track them internally with the bar code.  If so there must be a way normal people can get that info.  i have no idea how to do it but i'm sure there must be a way.  Maybe Red Sea can tell you if they ever decide to respond to you.  If they don't respond let me know.  I'll call them and get something working for you.  I am really curious and want to get to the bottom of this problem.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 22:25:33 by JSLeedy »
Dayton,Ohio

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2009, 22:47:22 »
OK this kind of explains a lot. I don’t want to jump on the small bucket band wagon, but about a month ago I bought a new small bucket of RSCP and within a few days I lost the majority of my nice, somewhat rare Zoa’s. I tested for everything and everything checked out fine. There was nothing new in the tank but the new batch of salt. Only my Zoa’s were affected though. All my other coral is LPS and they show no adverse affects from the salt.  I will definitely be getting some new salt soon just to be on the safe side.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2009, 22:54:04 »
Okay guys, this is really weird but I to have been having problems with my Zoa's. I am using the large bucket of RSCP though. They shrink up to almost nothing like they are rotting and the come detached and float away. Thought I was doing something wrong. This is really weird. Never in the last 5 years of keeping them have I ever lost even one Zoanthid. I bought my salt about two weeks ago which came in on a shipment about 4 weeks ago.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 22:56:57 by Lazylivin »

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2009, 23:02:44 »
If there are this many people having problems.  KEEP THE BUCKETS.  As a club we can get with Red Sea and have the batch numbers or SKU numbers.  Whatever they use to track them.  From there I am sure we can get them to make aminds.  At least replace the salt with an extra bucket or two.  If not I'm sure Aquavista would be willing to type up a letter and ask them to reconsider their decision.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2009, 23:07:12 »
You would think if the salt was a problem we would see posts on RC about it. Do you think it was just a batch. Can we all post where we got it from? I got mine from NDR. It was defintley factory sealed cause I had to cut off the red zip tie. The first 5 gallon bucket I got was hard as a rock. It actually swelled the container and there was no rips in the plastic bag. Stewart replaced it for me no questions asked.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2009, 23:14:42 »
The only way to truely know is to cross check the batch ID's.  It will be very hard to prove the problem being from Red Sea if all the salt is a different batch.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2009, 23:20:58 »
For Sale: Full 5 gallon bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro. 1/2 price 25$

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2009, 23:26:16 »
lol.  Followed by one dead fish tank half off. :laugh:
Dayton,Ohio

slandis3

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2009, 23:45:10 »
well i got all my big buckets at dodds during power buys ad my small buckets from joels during the January meeting.i checked my salt again and found nothing

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2009, 00:40:34 »
hey!!
lazylivin
i will take that bucket salt
thanks!

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2009, 06:32:08 »
Whoa.  I'm really sorry you guys are having problems too.  I know of a few other people that are suspecting their salt, but haven't made a conclusion yet.  We'll see. 

Please keep your buckets...and document what happens.  Test all of your parameters...and if nothing is out of whack, try a new salt.  I tried a 10% change of a different saltwater mix, and immediately things didn't look AS stressed.  I don't know if last night was finally the point where things started taking a turn for the better, but I did a change with SeaChem and Reef Crystals...and polyps are really coming out now.

If the people on RC don't want to listen to me, fine.  I'm sure it'll come up eventually...especially if it is this widespread.  If you're having problems, I recommend posting up on my thread (which I'll give a link to soon) on RC so we can document this and get more attention.  This needs to be resolved. 

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2009, 07:36:41 »
You know RC, if youre not one of a few select members then you dont know poo!! (especially if youre from Ohio Reef! )

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2009, 07:45:51 »
Please post a link to the RC thread. I could not find it.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2009, 08:23:55 »
If you're having problems, please post on RC as well:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1574684

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2009, 18:19:47 »
Wanted to bring this thread back to life.  Just wondering how things have changed in the tanks that used the red sea and have changed to another salt.  Also which salt have you gone with?  I am at the bottem of my second bucket (large) and things are not doing good with my tank.  Several acros have browned out,  I have been getting tip bleaching on several others.  One my blue tort I have lost all polyp extension and the tips are turning white.  The only thing that tests alittle off would be my ca which is alittle over 500.  I dont think I will be opening my last bucket of rscp salt,  would like to try another brand.  I have always had the shinny flakes in the bottem of my water change barrel  since I tried the red sea.  Any updates would be great.
Thanks
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2009, 20:35:15 »
For me it ended up not being a salt problem. I discovered shortly after reporting that I to was having issues that it was an outbreak of Zoa Pox. Cured it with Furan II.

Reefd Up

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2009, 22:30:01 »
Uggggh...well, your timing was perfect.

SeaChem was doing great...tank was beautiful...colors were great...everything.

Woke up yesterday, tank was dead.  The couple of Acro's that still had some tissue didn't make it today.  Most LPS are ok, but even my softies were dying.  All chemicals tested fine...no clue.  My 10g tank is still fine.  The only thing I can guess is that maybe my rocks are leaching something?  I'm stumped...and I hate everything right now.

If anyone is interested, I'll probably post up the majority of stuff I had in my 10g (it's all healthy and awesome.)  Lots of Acans, Palys, Micros, etc.  I don't feel like dealing with any of this until after the wedding is over.  I'll start fresh then.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2009, 05:11:30 »
Ah man, I am really sorry to hear about your tank loss. I know you are just sick right now.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2009, 06:55:02 »
Nikki did you have any fish in the tank?  If so are they all ok? 

Reefd Up

« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2009, 06:56:58 »
I had two fish and a pistol shrimp...along with misc crabs/snails.  They're all fine. 

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2009, 06:57:30 »
Hmmmm, very odd...

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2009, 11:11:38 »
Nikki, sorry to heard about this.  :'(
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Reefd Up

« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2009, 17:51:53 »
Thanks.  Somehow, it's not really bothering me a whole lot.  I mean, sure, it was 2.5 years of hard work and good memories, but I feel like I have a lot more than what I lost.  I have some really good friends that came out of this hobby, a ton of knowledge, less of a hatred of chemistry, and a bunch of other good things that I didn't lose.  Corals are replaceable. 

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2009, 19:26:17 »
Wow....  Sorry for the loss.

The lightening storms that came through the other morning put a whack on the sensors on my tank (Aquacontroller 3)  The storm had alot of electricity. temp, PH, ORP, and serial communications.  The temp reset pretty quick, but other stuff took about a day, and everything is reading fine now.  Luckily I checked my tank before leaving for work to catch this.   Not sure what would have happened if I didn't check until that evening.

Reefd Up

« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2009, 19:29:41 »
Any surge protector on your setup?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2009, 19:34:10 »
The Controller runs on a surge.   Ground Probes in the tank too.   Everything is on ground fault and arc flash as well.   None of that tripped, which was wierd.

Reefd Up

« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2009, 19:36:53 »
hm, odd

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2009, 22:05:31 »
Hello Nikki
I am wondering about the rock? You stated it might be leaching something. Where did you get it and how long has it been in your tank?
Sorry to hear about your loss. Check for sulpher hydroxide? Crack open one of those rocks.
Chromiumlux