2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Gravity versus Feed Pump Skimmer Debate  (Read 11935 times)

Offline aquavista99

Gravity versus Feed Pump Skimmer Debate
« on: February 17, 2009, 12:02:11 »
Is it more wise to use a feed pump vs. gravity feed?  I have never used an external skimmer before and I am just wanting to weigh options before this thing arrives.

I think my EuroReef contact said you will get better results with a feed pump. It would be cheaper to use gravity feed, but I think you have more options to better control how much flow goes into your skimmer with  the first option (without resctricting the flow from your aquarium to your sump).

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 20:27:08 »
I think my EuroReef contact said you will get better results with a feed pump. It would be cheaper to use gravity feed, but I think you have more options to better control how much flow goes into your skimmer with  the first option (without resctricting the flow from your aquarium to your sump).

Direct feeding your skimmer is the best way to ensure your skimmer is getting the dirtiest water. This can be controlled with a T-fitting and a gate valve. If you contact any skimmer that does not require a pressure fed then the direct feed is the way to go. If I could have worked this out to make me happy I would have direct feed my skimmer.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

bigfalcon36

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 20:36:20 »
Andy, so you're refering to hook one drain up to the skimmer's water input, correct?

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 21:00:12 »
Yes but most skimmers like the one you have probably would not perform well with that much flow which is why I suggested the t and then a gate valve or a high quality ball valve.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 21:45:31 »
Direct feeding your skimmer is the best way to ensure your skimmer is getting the dirtiest water. This can be controlled with a T-fitting and a gate valve. If you contact any skimmer that does not require a pressure fed then the direct feed is the way to go. If I could have worked this out to make me happy I would have direct feed my skimmer.

You should see where I place my Mag 7 feed pump  ;D (hint: it is placed in the area where both overflows drain into the sump at the same time). I also use a ball valve on the feed pump and  use a gate valve on my skimmer as well. Euroreef recommends a feed pump for best results but either way should be fine in my opinion.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 21:53:48 »

Is it more wise to use a feed pump vs. gravity feed?  I have never used an external skimmer before and I am just wanting to weigh options before this thing arrives.

I prefer a feed pump but I know others who prefer gravity feed. You may want to send the US rep for Deltec an email  and see if they have a preference. If you use a feed pump, as Andy pointed out with gravity feed, make sure you place the pump in the area of the sump that contains your tank's dirtiest water (the drainage output from your tank to the sump).

Offline Viggen

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 23:01:31 »
When you turn off your pumps on your tank you see a layer of stuff develop on the h20.  That layer of stuff on the h20 in the tank is what needs to be fed into the skimmer (for best results).  Usually when a feed pump is used it's hard to get the top layer of dirty h20 into the skimmer which is why a direct gravity feed is usually better.  Usually that layer of stuff will just fall into some place in the sump & just stay there & not be processed.  The bad thing about gravity feeding is it can be difficult to eliminate any bubbles that were sucked down the drain, they should be eliminated!!

I do think it's interesting that none of the cone skimmers I have seen are RC skimmer...... I wonder why 
300g tub o fish

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 08:34:27 »
When you turn off your pumps on your tank you see a layer of stuff develop on the h20.  That layer of stuff on the h20 in the tank is what needs to be fed into the skimmer (for best results). 

If you have built-in overflows, the top layer you are talking about (IE, the surface water) is what should end up in your sump. Whether you decide to capture this water via direct feed to the skimmer or placing a feed pump directly under the output in the sump should give you the same results.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 18:12:00 »
If you have built-in overflows, the top layer you are talking about (IE, the surface water) is what should end up in your sump. Whether you decide to capture this water via direct feed to the skimmer or placing a feed pump directly under the output in the sump should give you the same results.

I would think the water crashing into your sump would break the particles up and any that weren't sucked into the pump to be skimmed would return back into your system.  If it was feed directly into the skimmer then it would get skimmed before going into your system.  Both ways work but direct feed into the skimmer has to be better.  Just my thoughts.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 20:57:50 »
I would think the water crashing into your sump would break the particles up and any that weren't sucked into the pump to be skimmed would return back into your system.  If it was feed directly into the skimmer then it would get skimmed before going into your system.  Both ways work but direct feed into the skimmer has to be better.  Just my thoughts.

I think the type of skimmer you operate and the design of your system will also play a significant role in how to get your skimmer to perform its best. For my system, if I ran direct feed from one corner overflow, then at least 50% of the dirty water would bypass the skimmer on every cycle from the other corner overflow. However, I think you would miss a lot of dirty water with a feed pump as well, which is why I also filter with macro (cheato) algae.

I have to clean my skimmer at least two to three times a week and I have a very light fish load. I would not want to clean my skimmer more than three times a week so I don't think I would see dramatic changes either way on my skimmer. I am curious why EuroReef recommends the feed pump method over direct feed since a lot of people seem to prefer the direct feed method. 

I appreciate all the feedback on this topic and I am sure Travis has something to think about as well since his new Deltec skimmer will arrive soon.

Attached a few closeup pictures of my design below.

feed pump goes here

dark, nasty skimmate pic

bigfalcon36

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 21:46:27 »
That last pic makes me want to go drink some coffee.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 22:36:25 »
I think the type of skimmer you operate and the design of your system will also play a significant role in how to get your skimmer to perform its best. For my system, if I ran direct feed from one corner overflow, then at least 50% of the dirty water would bypass the skimmer on every cycle from the other corner overflow. However, I think you would miss a lot of dirty water with a feed pump as well, which is why I also filter with macro (cheato) algae.

Tim you are missing the point of how much your skimmer is taking in through a feed pump. Even with your feed pump your skimmer is missing more than 50% of the water that is coming from your drain lines. I am sure your are getting about 1200 gph from your drains or more and I am sure you are not feeding your skimmer 600 gph. If so you are reducing the dwell time considerably. As far as the feeding with a drain line you are capturing the dirtiest water. The feed pump is not feeding directly off the bottom glass of the sump. This will allow a build up of desitrus to settle over time. If you direct feed you will capture more of the desitrus. The feed pump will not remove all of this. The direct feed will remove more by feeding more of it to your skimmer to be skimmed out. Just my .02 cents. I have spent a fair amount of time talking to a well known skimmer builder and he comfirms that direct feeding will get the dirtiest water. He did say that the challenge is to keep air out of the drain lines which will change the skimmers performance.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 01:04:48 »
Tim you are missing the point of how much your skimmer is taking in through a feed pump. Even with your feed pump your skimmer is missing more than 50% of the water that is coming from your drain lines. I am sure your are getting about 1200 gph from your drains or more and I am sure you are not feeding your skimmer 600 gph. If so you are reducing the dwell time considerably. As far as the feeding with a drain line you are capturing the dirtiest water. The feed pump is not feeding directly off the bottom glass of the sump. This will allow a build up of desitrus to settle over time. If you direct feed you will capture more of the desitrus. The feed pump will not remove all of this. The direct feed will remove more by feeding more of it to your skimmer to be skimmed out. Just my .02 cents. I have spent a fair amount of time talking to a well known skimmer builder and he comfirms that direct feeding will get the dirtiest water. He did say that the challenge is to keep air out of the drain lines which will change the skimmers performance.

Andy, I appreciate your input, but I am going  to stick with what EuroReef recommends since I already have super clean water and very colorful corals. I can't imagine cleaning my skimmer more than I do now. The ER RC 500 has exceeded my expectations and pulls out unbelievable amounts of dark skimmate on a daily basis. I think the difference between direct feed and using a feed pump, on my system (emphasis added), is like comparing apples and oranges. If GEO tells you to direct feed, then I would follow his recommendation if I had a GEO skimmer. Euroreef recommends otherwise.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 10:08:25 »
I was not refering to Geo, I was referring to Spazz and the Volcano skimmers. I did talk to George (Geo) and he also said that Direct feed is the dirtiest water. Spazz said when I was looking at purchasing a custom built skimmer that direct feeding will produce the best results on skimmers that require a feed pump or to be feed seperate like a recirc skimmer. I am sure your skimmer is oversized but for the rest of the people reading this thread I was just trying to share the knowledge that was shared with me. I recieved some great input from both builders regarding dwell time and direct feeding. If someone has a skimmer that is maxed or close to max for their system direct feeding will allow it to run in the most efficient manner it can. Not everyone has a skimmer that is oversized for their system. I was providing input for them as well.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 13:29:28 »
I was not refering to Geo, I was referring to Spazz and the Volcano skimmers. I did talk to George (Geo) and he also said that Direct feed is the dirtiest water. Spazz said when I was looking at purchasing a custom built skimmer that direct feeding will produce the best results on skimmers that require a feed pump or to be feed seperate like a recirc skimmer. I am sure your skimmer is oversized but for the rest of the people reading this thread I was just trying to share the knowledge that was shared with me. I recieved some great input from both builders regarding dwell time and direct feeding. If someone has a skimmer that is maxed or close to max for their system direct feeding will allow it to run in the most efficient manner it can. Not everyone has a skimmer that is oversized for their system. I was providing input for them as well.

The Volcano and your Geo Skimmer is basically the same needle wheel design powered by one large pump. Whereas the Deltec, H&S and EuroReef needle wheel skimmers generally use multiple recirculating pumps. My point, addressed to a larger audience as well, is that each skimmer design (beckett, spray induction, needle wheel, down draft or venturi) and sump system is different and to assume you will get the very best results by using one approach over another in all situations may not be the case. Fortunately, there are only two ways to hook up a skimmer: water is either supplied to the skimmer by a separate feed pump or direct feed. Perhaps the direct feed method does not work as well when applied to recirculating skimmers that use with multiple recirculating pumps?  Maybe the best way to go is for each individual user to try both methods and see which one produces the best results  ;)

Offline Viggen

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 14:52:07 »
I do not see how if it's a huge skimmer with 20 dart NW pumps or a small skimmer powered by a single sicce 2500 pump that it matters.  Dirty water is.... dirty water!  Feed a skimmer water that has more crap in it & I would think no matter how the skimmer is designed (1 pump, 2 pumps, 10 pumps) it would pull more stuff out. 

Maybe I should shoot Jeff over at ER a email/PM to see what he has to say ....   ::)
300g tub o fish

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 15:21:45 »
Bagger and Viggen your logic seems sound to me as well.  It simple doesn't seem possible for a pump to work as well as a direct feed.  Scientifically it doesn't make sense for a pump to work better or even as well.  In the long run does it really matter if you are skimming a sufficient amount for your tank? Like you said Andy it really only makes a differance if you are at the max load for your skimmer. Or you simple want to say yours is the best.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 15:50:45 »
I do not see how if it's a huge skimmer with 20 dart NW pumps or a small skimmer powered by a single sicce 2500 pump that it matters.  Dirty water is.... dirty water!  Feed a skimmer water that has more crap in it & I would think no matter how the skimmer is designed (1 pump, 2 pumps, 10 pumps) it would pull more stuff out. 

Maybe I should shoot Jeff over at ER a email/PM to see what he has to say ....   ::)

They recommend using a feed pump with Euroreef recirculating skimmers. I discussed the issue with several ER  people (Chip & Jeff) when I first purchased my skimmer and when I ordered a replacement part last Fall. ER is a small, family business. You are right, dirty water is dirty water, whether you get it from direct feed or can capture it in a controlled area of your sump and feed it back to your skimmer. It is the same dirty, raw water (so long as you can capture it in a controlled area of your sump). I suspect if you have excessive air issues in your drainage pipes, direct feed would decrease skimmer performance. Or perhaps it has something to do with using multiple recirculating pumps and being better able to control flow (without excessive air) to the skimmer from a feed pump. 

Once my system is up and running, I will post pictures of a glass of water collected from my drainage pipe before it is discharged into the sump and will  post a picture of a glass of the same discharged water that is captured  from the controlled area of my sump where the dirtiest water is collected.

Irrespective of what EuroReef, Spazz or Geo or others think, if one approach gives you better results on your skimmer than the other, then go with the method that gives you the best results.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 16:06:35 »
Or you simple want to say yours is the best.

I wasn't implying you are like that.  I don't know you.  You do have to admit there are people who want to tell everyone they have the best stuff and why theirs is better.  I have to admit it is curious why you felt the need to respond to that statement specificly. :)

Irrespective of what EuroReef, Spazz or Geo or others think, if one approach gives you better results on your skimmer than the other, then go with the method that gives you the best results.

I think we can all agree with that.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 16:09:41 by JSLeedy »
Dayton,Ohio

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 16:07:21 »
Or you simple want to say yours is the best.

I never said one method is better than the other method or that my design is the best. Just because I decided to go with what Chip and Jeff at Euroreef recommended for its recirculating skimmers does not mean it is the best option for you or anyone else.

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Gravity versus Feed Pump Skimmer Debate
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 18:09:37 »
This thread was split from the original thread of Tim's 300g tank to preserve the original thread and to keep a good debate alive.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 18:19:11 »
You love to split and move threads around don't you. :laugh:  I have to admit I don't really understand.  Everyone that was following the thread was used to looking at it under one link I don't get the point of moving it.  It still pertains to his tank build.  I personally find it difficult to track when discussions get moved.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline Viggen

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 18:29:14 »
Looks like we need another thread so we can discuss why the gravity vs feed pump thread was seperated from Tim's thread :)  LOL

Seriuously though......  from Jeff Macare himself

"Not a fan of direct feed as there is no way to insure consistent pressure thus consistent performance. Direct feed is best."

Which is why it isn't a good idea for some & a good idea for others.  If you cannot ensure the air bubbles are elimiated from entering the skimmer plus have consistant pressure then using a pump is best & many time easier to!!!  If those 2 issuescan be solved then go the gravity fed route.

I do plan on using my ER RC-500 (that is unless I buy a different skimmer.... hmmmm) with a direct feed from my tank.  Hopefully it will not be to difficult to eliminate those variables :)
300g tub o fish

bigfalcon36

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 20:33:23 »
I plan on direct feeding my skimmer...when ever it gets here...unless Deltec says otherwise.  how do you plumb the overflow/piping to the skimmer to ensure pressure and a constant feed.  Also, if a skimmer operates the most efficient between 575 and 600 gph, how do I know that I am getting between 575 and 600 gph?

Christ, now I have to e-mail Deltec...thanks guys.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 20:34:35 »
Looks like we need another thread so we can discuss why the gravity vs feed pump thread was seperated from Tim's thread :)  LOL

Seriuously though......  from Jeff Macare himself

"Not a fan of direct feed as there is no way to insure consistent pressure thus consistent performance. Direct feed is best."

Which is why it isn't a good idea for some & a good idea for others.  If you cannot ensure the air bubbles are elimiated from entering the skimmer plus have consistant pressure then using a pump is best & many time easier to!!!  If those 2 issues can be solved then go the gravity fed route.

I do plan on using my ER RC-500 (that is unless I buy a different skimmer.... hmmmm) with a direct feed from my tank.  Hopefully it will not be to difficult to eliminate those variables :)

I am glad this debate was removed from my new tank build thread but I always appreciate a good debate, whether my views go against the grain or are accepted by the majority. It doesn't bother me if everyone says I am wrong. The end result is that people who see my reef in person rave about how super clean my water is, etc. However, what works best for my system may not work best for the next person, which is why I appreciate the feedback from people who have experienced better results with the direct feed method of skimming.

The gravity vs. feed pump issue came up on my new tank build thread when Travis asked a question about whether I plan to direct feed my skimmer or use a feed pump. Since we both have the same type of skimmer with the same recirculating pumps, I figured I would share the recommendation Chip and Jeff gave me from ER. No matter which option Travis selects for his new Deltec skimmer, I am sure the end result will be very positive.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 20:48:10 »
This thread was split from the original thread of Tim's 300g tank to preserve the original thread and to keep a good debate alive.
:drink

bigfalcon36

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 20:55:08 »
I'll be sure to post the reply to my email from Deltec.  Hopefully, I get the skimmer tomorrow...it shipped out on Tuesday.

I think we keep the debate going.

Bottom line though...your skimmer, your water, your tank, your decision.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 20:58:41 »
Bottom line though...your skimmer, your water, your tank, your decision.

Agreed.  You right to choose. :)

Sorry had to say it after that last statement.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 21:24:00 »
I am not trying to argue but merely trying to provide more input. The statement regarding constant pressure is the same statement that has been stated by other builders. To ensure you get constant pressure you can reduce the pipe from 1.5 to 1" this will increase the pressure going into the skimmer. There needs to be a gate valve or a good quality ball valve to adjust your flow into your skimmer. There needs to be a T fitting between your valve for the skimmer and the tank. The T will allow the drain water to exit what is not taken into your skimmer. The exit of the T will then go to your sump. To be the most scientific a test of using a skimmer on a system that was first feed with a feed pump and then switched to direct feed will answer this question. Maybe Joel will chime in since we were talking about this very topic when I noticed his euro reef RC500 was a direct feed from his tank. He said he is getting better results since switching from pump fed to direct feed. Anyone who has a sump that is glass or acrylic can see the build up of desitrus where the drains enter even if you are using filter bags. I can verify this as my old setup with a 180 gallon sump would reflect the build up. I had to vacumme that chamber. Joel, please share your wisdom if you dont mind entering the debate. This is more for the people who have skimmers that are not oversized for their tanks. I am just sharing to help those folks out. Some skimmers cannot be direct fed because they are not recirced.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

bigfalcon36

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 21:42:42 »
Andy, nice info.  I dont want to be a pain, but is there a way to prove a generic drawing of the 'T' you're talking about.  i want to get this right the first time around. 

For those interested in what Deltec has to say, here is their reply to my email:

Feed Supply...The skimmer should be provided with water from the aquarium system either under pressure from a separate feed pump or by gravity supply.

For a pumped system use our installation kits or choose a suitable pump and pipe diameter using mentined in the user manual and connect it to the inlet of the unit. Rigid or flexible pipework can be used for this task. Connect up the outlet pipe to allow water to return to the system.

It is recommended on smaller skimmers that a ball valve is fitted on the outlet pipe to achieve better adjustment of the water level. Larger models may come supplied with a coupling at one side of the ball valve to allow the riser tube to rotate for easier installation.  If gravity feeding the skimmer, it is necessary to fit a tee piece to the existing overflow drain to the sump and use the branch to supply the skimmer. In order to regulate the supply, a valve should be fitted below the tee.  Ensure that the pipe feeding the skimmer is of large enough diameter and that there is enough head to provide
the proper flow rate.

Andy,
D-D

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2009, 21:53:08 »
I would be interested in seeing pictures of skimmer setups from people who use  gravity supply as well. Here are a few pictures I photographed today of my skimmer attached to Joel's 300 gallon Rubbermaid tub. The skimmer is a ER RC 500  with a Mag 7 feed pump. I have to clean the skimmer at leat two to three times a week. The fish load is very light and most SPS corals in the tub are small frags.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 21:55:12 by aquavista99 »

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2009, 23:52:47 »
I think that there are multiple factors that can influence what is the best way to deliver water to a protein skimmer. Note that what I just said was what is the best way to deliver water to a protein skimmer, not what is the best way to remove nutrients from your aquarium or what will make the best use of your protein skimmer.

If this subject was as simple as, "what is the best way to get water into my protein skimmer to allow the protein skimmer to have the maximum benefit to my aquariums water?" the the answer would be, water that has been surface skimmed straight out of the aquarium and drained directly into the skimmer...period!

It is an absolute fact that the raw surface water is the most pollution concentrated portion of aquarium water in all aquariums. Draining water into a sump and then pumping it back into a skimmer decreases the concentration of the surface pollutants getting into the skimmer. Even if the protein skimmer feed pump is located in the first chamber of the sump that water from the aquarium is drained into, it still decreases the concentration of surface pollutants getting to the skimmer. When surface water is churned or disturbed, these pollutants return to the surface very quickly. A pump sitting on the bottom of a sump is going to miss a fair amount of them.

Now, that being said, this is not to say that other methods of water delivery to a protein skimmer are wrong. It's more a case of good, better and best.

There are many circumstances (more than room here will allow for) that will determine if this type of water delivery to your protein skimmer is the right thing to do. The immediate things that come to my mind are;

Recirculation type skimmers are probably the only type of skimmer where this is an option, perhaps old school counter current style with an air stone could too.

Can your skimmer handle that amount of water flow (GPH)?

Is this water volume (GPH) adequate for your size aquarium? Is it to slow (not enough GPH) Is it to fast - to short of dwell time?

Et Cetera.....

I'm certain that there are many more factors that will determine if this can or should be done on ones aquarium / protein skimmer. But I will say that if it is an option to directly feed your protein skimmer right out of the aquarium VIA a surface skimming over flow, this is the best option. Remember that nutrient export / removal is the # 1 priority of our water management systems. Directly feeding the most pollution concentrated water to your protein skimmer and allowing it to remove it before the water enters the next stage of filtration really decreases the load on the entire system. The more quickly & efficiently waste is remove from out water, the better the quality of our water and the longer the duration it will stay that way. These are not opinions, these are facts.

For what it's worth, I have the exact Euro Reef RC 500 protein skimmer that Tim has. I feed it directly from my tank VIA a surface skimmer box. Since doing so, the concentration of waste and the rate I collect it from the aquarium is noticeably greater than it was when it was fed by a pump located in my sump. In my situation, I do see an improvement in performance.

Joel

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 01:05:26 »
Very nice, informative post, Joel! It sounds like gravity supply would not be the best option for most smaller, non circulating skimmers. Do you know what method is used for the mega skimmers you see at public aquariums and zoos?  "When surface water is churned or disturbed, these pollutants return to the surface very quickly" also explains why the dirtiest water in any aquarium is always on the surface.  Would you mind posting a picture of your surface skimmer box?

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 06:35:57 »
My surface skimming box is par  with what just about everyone else has, Just a run of the mill built in O/F box with a durso type stand pipe. I run the 1" drain out of it & straight to the protein skimmer.

The improvement that I wish I could make would be to have a better & larger surface skimming box. I currently have the type with the "teeth" cut into it, mostly for live stock protection. A larger and just flat, level wall (box) for the water to fall over would be better for organic skin removal. With this tank, it's not an easy option to change, the box is built in.

On that particular tank, I don't (intentionally) have a huge return pump so the amount of water flow going thru my P skimmer is right in the middle  to upper of desirable GPH for it's total system volume of water. (depending on who's formula you subscribe to)

I don't understand the recommendations about keeping the correct pressure, etc. of feed water flow. Recirc type skimmers are just a big tube with free flow water passing thru them, no pressure at all. I just throttle back the 1.5" drain to get the water level adjusted correctly and let the recirc pumps do the rest. (that's a little oversimplified but is the "jist" of it)

Tim, your correct that with smaller or non recerc type skimmers this would not be an option, pumping water from the earliest point in the sump or having the protein skimmer in the first chamber of the sump may be the next best option. I have only seen the equipment & filtration systems of a few public aquariums & Zoo's and recall that they were set up flooded sump with high pressure pumps feeding the skimmers & fluidized sand filters. These were not recirculating pumps and has been several years ago. At that time many were  using the RK2 filters that were high tech - cutting edge in the day. Now I'd call them just bigger versions of what many use on their aquariums now.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 06:56:45 »

It is an absolute fact that the raw surface water is the most pollution concentrated portion of aquarium water in all aquariums. Draining water into a sump and then pumping it back into a skimmer decreases the concentration of the surface pollutants getting into the skimmer. Even if the protein skimmer feed pump is located in the first chamber of the sump that water from the aquarium is drained into, it still decreases the concentration of surface pollutants getting to the skimmer. When surface water is churned or disturbed, these pollutants return to the surface very quickly. A pump sitting on the bottom of a sump is going to miss a fair amount of them.

Maybe why my reef water is always so super clean is because whatever pollutants returns to the surface from my first chamber and escapes  the protein skimmer's feed pump is quickly consumed by the macro algae contained in my second chamber. I use a large amount of cheato in my second chamber of filtration, which grows on the surface of the water, most likely preventing the surface pollutants from returning to my reef aquarium. The end result is super clean water and colorful SPS corals. Even with using macro algae, my skimmer pulls out large amounts of nasty, dark skimmate everyday which is why I have no need to consider gravity supply at this time, even though it sounds like this could be an option since I run the same RC 500 skimmer as you. Again, thanks for the very informative reply, Joel! 

Offline Rob

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 08:37:15 »
Here is my *opinion*.

I always recommend feed pumps over gravity feeds.
- you can better determine how much water you are feeding to the skimmer - want 300 gph, get a pump that will feed 300 gph
- the water is more consistent, there is no "burping" with a feed pump

I think that in the grand scheme of home aquariums, we are not dealing with that much water volume.  Most guys are turning their tanks over 10X+ an hour. Take a 200 gallon tank, you are looking at 2000 gph.  If the "dirty" water does not make it through the skimmer the first go round, it will likely make it through very shortly.

You could also take it a step further and make the argument that normal reef ready tanks still leave surface skim on the water.  If you get a chance, check out Antony Calfo's "Coast to Coast" overflow design.
Here is a link: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=473152&highlight=Calfo+style+overflow

Happy reading.
Rob

Offline Viggen

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2009, 10:40:34 »
I was always under the impression that turning a tank over 10x+ is a bad thing, that is if we are talking about the water going through the sump.  Sumps need a much slower rate especially the refuge's that many of you use.  With my w/d filters I only run around +/- 4x's a hr through them, my new tank will be closer to 5x's a hr with +/- 1x going to my skimmer.   

When feeding a pump off a overflow it's also not hard to determine how much flow you are getting.  But true, it does take a little more time then just buying a pump that does the gph you are looking for.  Add a gate valve & you can tune the flow to the skimmer quite easily but it does take a bit more work :) 

300g tub o fish

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 10:43:35 »
  If the "dirty" water does not make it through the skimmer the first go round, it will likely make it through very shortly.

This is an example of exactly what I was speaking of (and against). We want our systems to operate as efficiently as possible to remove waste from our water. Your correct that flow rate is very important but flow rates directly off our aquarium drain is very controllable The theory or opinion that the waste that our filters miss the first time thru isn't a major concern because the filter will get multiple other attempts at it is true. But this is not what is most ideal, it is a compromise. ( I'm not quoting Rob as saying that missed waste by our filter isn't a concern, I'm commenting on the implication)

If a filtration system is a less efficient design and takes many passes thru it to remove or brake down waste, the waste is aloud to be dissolved in the water longer thus have a more negative impact on the overall quality of the environment. In other words, the longer waste is aloud to remain in our water and brake down, the more harm it is causing to the aquarium.

Another consideration is just about all protein skimmers are influenced by the water level inside them. If the water level in the sump drops due to evaporation, the pump will have more gravity to fight against and as a result, the water level in the skimmer will drop due to less GPH causing it to no longer be adjusted to optimal setting. This can be solved by having a dedicated chamber for the skimmer or the skimmer feed pump that has a constant water level but few people have their system set up that way.

I'm sure we could go all day long about the good and bad about each method and both sides have some valid points. My point is that if it is an option to direct feed your skimmer, and it is done in a fashion that has proper water flow & proper surface skimming of the water, this is superior at waste removal than pumping water to the skimmer from the sump or elsewhere. I think that we all can agree that as raw as water we can supply to our skimmers, the better. We want to remove as much waste as possible before the water gets to other filtering apparatus. Anything and everything we can do to increase the efficacy in which  we remove waste from our systems, the better it is going to be for the overall health of the tank and it's inhabitants.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 12:01:02 »
Here is my *opinion*.

I always recommend feed pumps over gravity feeds.
- you can better determine how much water you are feeding to the skimmer - want 300 gph, get a pump that will feed 300 gph
- the water is more consistent, there is no "burping" with a feed pump

Thanks for adding your opinion to this debate as well, Rob!  Both Chip and Jeff at EuroReef were pretty adamant about recommending the feed pump method to obtain better results as well when I purchased my skimmer a few years ago. I have been really impressed with the results I have obtained by using a feed pump on my skimmer. The only downside is increased energy costs and cleaning yet another pump every few months.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 12:04:59 »
Andy, nice info.  I dont want to be a pain, but is there a way to prove a generic drawing of the 'T' you're talking about.  i want to get this right the first time around. 

I would but to be honest I just dont know how to do that on the computer. I will ask Joe if he can draw a diagram.

I would also like to add that controlling the flow is simple if you are not running a wave or wavebox in your system. If you are and your tank is a dual overflow then one side drains when the water level is high on that end and then it switches to the other side. If you have a tank designed with dual overflows and your water resonates back and forth then it will be almost impossible to use direct gravity feed. The reason is your skimmer will pull air when the water level is low on that side and cause the water level in the chamber of your skimmer to flucuate. The skimmer will then have more air and burb as Rob said.

If you have constant even water flow through both overflows then it is easy to control and maintain a constant set amount of water flowing through your skimmer as Joel stated. The water level wont change like it may with a feed pump.

I did not direct feed my skimmer because I was running two wave boxes. I have since change my tank flow design and now wish I would have used 1 of my 6 one inch drains to feed the skimmer. I know I would be getting the dirtiest water and I would reduce the need to use a feed off of one of my snappers. For those running a seperate pump by direct feeding you will be reducing your electric bill by not having to run a feed pump. I am sure there is something to be said for that. This hobby is expensive enough as is why waste money. I wish I would have known my design now back then and I would be direct feeding.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2009, 12:07:26 »
what if your skimmer needs (it says) 1100pgh to operate correctly.  how much does a 1" drain bring down to a skimmer if its gravits feed

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 12:58:36 »
what if your skimmer needs (it says) 1100pgh to operate correctly.  how much does a 1" drain bring down to a skimmer if its gravits feed

That doesn't sound like a recirculating skimmer, it is not an option to operate as a direct feed if this is the case.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2009, 16:33:06 »
What skimmer is that?  Is it a NW skimmer?

Like Joel stated it doesn't sound like a RC/NW skimmer..... if it is a NW how big is the reaction chamber?  Must be HUGE :)

I think a 1 in drain does less then 800 gph but I forget the exact number

300g tub o fish

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2009, 13:43:37 »

For what it's worth, I have the exact Euro Reef RC 500 protein skimmer that Tim has. I feed it directly from my tank VIA a surface skimmer box. Since doing so, the concentration of waste and the rate I collect it from the aquarium is noticeably greater than it was when it was fed by a pump located in my sump. In my situation, I do see an improvement in performance.

Although Joel and I have the exact same EuroReef RC 500 protein skimmers and the exact same 125 gallon sumps, the reason why direct feed should work better for Joel whereas a feed pump works better for me, is because the way we use our sumps, both built by Joel, are just the opposite. In my opinion, I think it would be difficult to use a feed pump on Joel's skimmer to get the best results based on how his sump is designed. If I recall, the place where your dirty water discharges into your 125 gallon sump is located on the opposite end of where your skimmer is located, approximately 6 feet away. The chamber where you would place your feed pump would be the third chamber in my 125 gallon sump, which means you would not be feeding your skimmer as dirty of water water since it would have to pass through your first chamber, then your second macro algae chamber before finally reaching the third chamber, which is where your return pump and skimmer feed pump would be located.

In my system, the dirtiest water is trapped in my first chamber, which is where my skimmer's feed pump is located as well. The water would then move into my second chamber, which is also filled with macro algae, then exits back to the aquarium via the return pump in my third chamber.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2009, 14:06:41 »
he could just as easily throw a pump where the filter socks are & run a pump from there.  It's only 6ft of non vertical head pressure so the flow loss would be minimal......
300g tub o fish

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2009, 14:17:15 »
If I direct feed my skimmer from the overflows is there a reason for a filter sock?  I would think that you could also do away with the filter sock and have one less thing to have to maintain.
Jeff

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2009, 15:01:51 »
he could just as easily throw a pump where the filter socks are & run a pump from there.  It's only 6ft of non vertical head pressure so the flow loss would be minimal......

Very true, Gary. You would obtain better skimmer performance results if you place the feed pump in the first chamber as opposed to the third and final chamber.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2009, 10:54:31 »
If I direct feed my skimmer from the overflows is there a reason for a filter sock?  I would think that you could also do away with the filter sock and have one less thing to have to maintain.
Jeff

I would think the filter socks may also cut down on the splashing noise and filter whatever was missed by the skimmer, unless you have both overflows connected to the skimmer. Maybe the gravity/direct feed people may want to chime in as well?

slandis3

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2009, 10:59:09 »
i am running my new reeflo 200 directly off the overflow well see how it works. so far its pulling a good amount of nasty stuff out. well se how it does when it breaks in

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2009, 11:40:41 »
I still use a filter sock on the out flow side of my protein skimmer. Althought the skimmer does put lots of junk out, particulate matter still gets thru it and the sock catches it.

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2010, 11:22:22 »
One quick question as I'm reading this thread.  I debated on making a new one, but the answer to this question is relevant to the info in this thread. 

If 'all' the water from gravity feed doesn't make it through the skimmer, where does the other water go?  So if your skimmer needs 300 gph, and you are pumping 1200 gph through the overflows, obviously most of the dirty water will be recirculated through the T or other overflow if dual.  Am I missing something?   

I guess the argument is still valid, that if the skimmer needs 300 gph, you want to make sure it is the dirtiest 300 gph you can get, gravity feed via overflow box being the 'dirtiest'.  Just looking at upgrading my old AquaC to a recirc model - this is the start of my plumbing research.

I also have a little concern over my overflows in my allglass 120 with durso pipes.  Obviously, the water overflows in to the corner 'cage', and then up through the durso.  This seems like a round-about way for the 'top' skimmed water to even get to the sump.  Wouldn't alot of the detrius get trapped in my corner sections?  Seems like it would be best to not have 'tank high' corner sections where water/solids can get trapped? 

- Ray

Offline Viggen

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2010, 13:21:37 »
if your skimmer gets 300gph the other 900gph just bypasses the skimmer which is totally fine.  The hardest part is to ensure the water going into the skimmer is constant & not filled with lots of air bubbles & keeps a constant pressure.  If that can't be done then using a feed pump in the sump might be a better/safer option. 

300g tub o fish

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2010, 19:50:22 »
I still use a filter sock on the out flow side of my protein skimmer. Althought the skimmer does put lots of junk out, particulate matter still gets thru it and the sock catches it.
thats a great idea
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2010, 20:19:33 »

Yes nice idea!