2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Las Vegas, NV Fish Stores  (Read 2800 times)

Reefd Up

Las Vegas, NV Fish Stores
« on: June 28, 2009, 17:03:02 »
I visited Atlantis Tropical Fish & Aquariums and Trop Aquarium while I was in Las Vegas, NV.  I tried to visit Desert Coral Aquatics, but they didn't answer their phone...so I didn't know if they were open.

Trop Aquarium:  No one seemed to acknowledge I was even in the store.  Most of the fish and corals offered were the usual run-of-the-mill sort of stuff.  A lot of the corals were browned out.  I also don't remember seeing any SPS.  Prices were high compared to out here (not sure what it is for that area.)  They had a lot of used tanks...decent prices on those.  They had a large freshwater selection, but I didn't browse through it.

Atlantis Tropical Fish & Aquariums:  The mural of an ocean scene painted on the front wall of their store looked better than anything they had inside.  I liked their setup...the store was comprised of a lot of individual acrylic tanks.  Corals and fish were once again the normal run-of-the-mill stuff.  They did carry some SPS though (but it was all browned out.)  Prices for the SPS was ridiculous.  $15 for a fingernail sized piece of brown Monti-cap (but, that might be the going rate for Las Vegas.) 

One thing I noticed at both stores was the lack of the latest & greatest technology.  I saw stuff like undergravel filters...but never saw a skimmer in use or for sale.  I mean, I didn't even see Koralia's for sale...and those are pretty much everywhere now. 

I was really disappointed for shops in Las Vegas.  I did go to the Rainforest Cafe...where they have two huge FO tanks.  I was completely impressed.  I've never seen healthy Moorish Idols...much less a school of them (not sure if they were purposely schooling or just hanging out together).  There were about 10+ of them.  I'll try to post pictures at some point.

Anyway, just thought some of you might be interested if you ever head over that way.