2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: coral bleach in 24 hrs or less  (Read 6315 times)

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
Re: coral bleach in 24 hrs or less
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 22:21:41 »
There you have it. Major change!!! Phosphates are a requirment for life. What was your phosphates before?good kit right? Everyone brags about zero, but zero is not acceptable. You must have phosphates, period. If your trying to remove PO to get rid of cyano/GHA/any pest. Look into your feeding schedule and skimming.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 22:36:40 »
they were  around 4 ,now around 2, they have never been 0 usually between 3 and 5  on the color test
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 22:42:32 by larrynews »

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2009, 10:37:55 »
In my experience, the easiest way to kill SPS by accident is to go through an alk swing.  If you dosed the alk portion of the two part directly to the tank and the coral got hit by it, I can see the coral RTNing as a result of that.  As it has been said a few times now, nobody knows the exact cause of RTN for sure, but we can assume that it is an extreme response to stress.

Reefd Up

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 11:31:54 »
Brian, no, I've only had tissue loss like that when I was having issues when I thought it was the salt.

Sorry this is going to be short...but I'm sneaking computer time (we're completely rearranging/cleaning the house today...all new wedding stuff, ya know.) 

Tissue loss around the base can be from low flow in larger colonies (which they're not), low alk, or some bacterial/viral diseases (and I'm sure other stuff, but I'm in a rush.)  It can also be caused by recent fragging.  Yes...poor fragging can cause tissue problems at the base of the coral.  Once a small tissue rip occurs, the whole coral can go.  Try fragging the tips off, use a cyanoacrylate gel glue, and try re-acclimating them again.  Using the wrong glue can be deadly.  You want an endothermic glue...but exothermic glues are acceptable (which cyanoacrylate is) provided that it reacts with moisture in the air to set.  Cyanoacrylates react with moisture, so they will set quicker if you dunk them in water.  In fact, this type of glue will not set if there is no humidity.

As far as the GFO, if you suddenly increased doseage or used too much for a starting dose, it could cause this as well.  GFO exponentially drops the phosphate level...and too quick of a drop (ie, too big of a dose) could cause coral death.   

But yeah, best advice...double check all parameters & frag! 

Offline larrynews

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 12:39:36 »
update, the one i lost even after fraging it into 3 pieces, but the other seems to have made it, and all the others are fine so i'm guessing i did it myself dosing in the tank instead of the sump, i knew it as i was doing it not a good idea, and phos ban maybe but i think it was the dosing...thanks to all for the help and advice

Offline larrynews

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 15:46:58 »
it also died ..i suck!!!!!