2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: I believe I'll buy a sump  (Read 10255 times)

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
Re: I believe I'll buy a sump
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 18:40:05 »
Everything OVER 4' had center braces.  Using my woodworker eyes I can state that they were made using the cheapest materials and fasteners available. 1x4 PINE (not even a hardwood) and staples for most fasteners.      Your right to a point but it is 4' AND OVER on all that aquarium adventures sell do to support....removal or tampering with center brace voids your waranty,,yes they are still open and there are 3 other locations open,

slandis3

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 19:10:22 »
If i was wanting to set up a sump with the setup you have now. I would build my own stand to house a nice size sump. I think this would be the best way to do it. This is just my opinion. Or, you could build a sump with the 20g tank you have now. Drain your 90g tank remove the center brace install the sump the refill the 90g tank.If your on a budget the 2nd option would be the cheapest.

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
    • Real Job:  HunnyBuns Nursery & Reborn Supply
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 19:17:20 »
If it is not a 'must hurry' job I would definatly take time and decide what is going to be the best option.

(I did not know it was illegal) 

Yep, it's illegal to take mangrove pods out of the State.  Or at least it used to be. 
-Steph
--------------
What do you call an old reefer with no tank? 
:-(
-----------------------------

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 20:13:17 »
Everything OVER 4' had center braces.  Using my woodworker eyes I can state that they were made using the cheapest materials and fasteners available. 1x4 PINE (not even a hardwood) and staples for most fasteners.      Your right to a point but it is 4' AND OVER on all that aquarium adventures sell do to support....removal or tampering with center brace voids your waranty,,yes they are still open and there are 3 other locations open,

dude give it a rest. It takes 15 minutes to notch up a 2x4, brace it temporarily, and install the sump. The stands are built sturdy enough to handle it for a few minutes. Do I need to do a write up? I'll be removing the sump from my 120 shortly, and guess what? I have to remove the brace, again. Yes, again.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 20:33:08 by slandis3 »

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 20:14:24 »
This is one that you need to look at. I wish I could do this with mine

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg46/lunatik_69/DSCN0322.jpg

Yes that is nice. The result of careful planning...

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 20:29:20 »
dude give it a rest. It takes 15 minutes to notch up a 2x4, brace it temporarily, and install the sump. The stands are built sturdy enough to handle it for a few minutes. Do I need to do a write up? I'll be removing the sump from my 120 shortly, and guess what? I have to remove the brace, again. Yes, again.

:crybaby
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 20:33:30 by slandis3 »

slandis3

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 20:35:05 »
OK lets not turn this into a nasty argument. Keep the post on topic and positive please.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2009, 20:35:48 »
Thank you!

Offline verper

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2009, 21:25:46 »

No, I said it right the first time.  I visited the store many times looking at how strong I needed to make my stand.  I don't think I can be any clearer - Anything OVER 4' had a center brace.  4' and under had all of the variables I listed.  Please take a drive over and see with your own eyes.   I did.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2009, 21:31:08 »
So you probly Know Kelsey then, the store manager, shes a really nice lady, with a lot of knowledge

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2009, 22:37:59 »
Throwing my hat back into the game....

IMHO, Your best/saftest bet is to drain most of the water from the tank, save it in some tubs, and put the tank on those carpet sliders you can get almost any ware. That way, you ever have to move the tank again you just slide it out of the way. I've heard those work really way. Install your sump thru the back, allowing you to get the largest sump you can and you are done!
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Grunk08

• Juvenile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2009, 22:41:13 »
This is how you get 30 gal. of sump/refugium under a 48" stand.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2009, 22:43:29 »

Gotta love it! :thewave

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 22:56:25 »
above is an example if blown76mavs acrylic work

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 23:01:14 »
here is an old pic of the one i have from him

you would think i have stock in him lol

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2009, 23:02:37 »
I hope reefchik sees this might help her

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2009, 23:04:16 »

Beautiful stand.  Too bad mine isn't anything like it.  Mine's just a cheap pine AGA stand.  It's clear that blown76mav does nice work!
Is that two separate tanks under there, connected?
-Steph
--------------

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2009, 23:05:26 »
yes...   anything can be done in this hobby :)
some things require a little more dedication than others

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2009, 23:22:31 »
Throwing my hat back into the game....

IMHO, Your best/saftest bet is to drain most of the water from the tank, save it in some tubs, and put the tank on those carpet sliders you can get almost any ware. That way, you ever have to move the tank again you just slide it out of the way. I've heard those work really way. Install your sump thru the back, allowing you to get the largest sump you can and you are done!

I actually like this idea.  Those Moving Men discs are great.  Although I wonder if they wouldn't crack under the weight of a tank.  Anyone ever try that?  We've used them on regular furniture including a fully loaded oak entertainment center with TV, VCR, and big stereo system, but that's still not nearly as heavy.  

So now I'll fess up.  I bought a sump this evening after my earlier posts.  It's a big Reef Master with refugium in the middle.  I think it's the 200.

As I told Techguy40 earlier, I'm really not up to building anything right now.  I haven't mentioned it yet, but I'm recovering from cancer treatments and I don't have the strength or stamina I used to for big projects.  DH is starting up a home repair business and he's gone longer hours than when he had his old job at the Moraine GM plant.  So he's not much help either.  

Plus I'm running a full time business, and I had to get back to work and stop researching all this stuff.  I've spent HOURS this week learning about sumps, skimmers, refugia, etc.  And you know you can't just read those threads.  You have to stop and gawk along the way at people's tank photos and read all the latest posts..... ;D  

Now, just so this thread doesn't croak, we can keep on talking about how to set this thing up the right way!  I don't suppose I'll want bio-balls.  Would you just fill that end section with LR rubble?  I can take a photo and post it tomorrow so you see what I mean.

-Steph
--------------

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2009, 23:29:04 »
kool, did you get the sea storm skimmer with it?

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2009, 23:33:49 »
No.  I didn't know if it was a good skimmer.  Of course I've been brainwashed over at RC to thinking that only a MSX, Octopus or Deltec skimmer is worth buying  :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 23:35:58 by ~reefchik~ »
-Steph
--------------

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2009, 23:39:10 »
thats whats funny about anything you do, you can ask 20 people about something and all 20 will come up with something different,

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2009, 23:45:14 »
Um...that's for sure. 
-Steph
--------------

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2009, 23:48:13 »
like i said before take your time, use a little commom sence, take it all in a make a decision, you wont go wrong, and if you do, dont tell nobody ;D

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2009, 23:52:00 »
I would do like you suggested and put live rock rubble in place of the bioballs.  The size of the sump is probly going to help make your skimmer choice for you get what fits and leaves room for the refuge.  How big is the area you plan to put the skimmer?
I think this is a link to the sump
http://www.sealife-systems.com/reefmaster.html