2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Cell Phone Plans  (Read 3290 times)

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
Cell Phone Plans
« on: November 06, 2009, 00:21:45 »
Hey everyone. So I was getting ready for bed and was in the bathroom brushing my teeth and setting the alarm on my phone when I dropped it in the toilet.  :laugh:

My contract expired last month and this phone was getting pretty rickety, so no lost other than my phone numbers.

I'm in the market for a new plan and a new phone and I am looking for suggestions.

I had AT&T, don't have any problems with it, but would switch for a service with better phones...

I need a service with a family plan, around 1400 minutes (roll-over a plus) I'd like a web-phone (no iphone) with affordable rates, plus a texting plan (unlimited or 1000/month or so)

So what is everyone using these days? How many minutes? What services? What phones? And if you don't mind, how much are you paying?

BTW, if you need to get a hold of me, don't bother calling :)
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline yinyang

• Adult
Re: Cell Phone Plans
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 00:35:57 »
for what u needs
Cincinnati bell will be best

slandis3

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 04:57:57 »
Verizon, 2 blackberry storms ( so 2 data plans ) 1 lg chocolate 1400 minutes, unlimited data,text,pic ect. any 10 numbers in my "circle" all verizon to verizon call's free

Reefd Up

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 06:05:38 »
Will and I have a family plan through AT&T.  Other than when we first switched our individual accounts to a family plan, we've had no problems.  Will has a Samsung i-phone wannabe (we aren't fans of Apple).  I forget the model name.  Anyway, it's a really cool phone.  He got it free with a 2 year contract.  I have a Sony Cyberpix camera phone (literally a cyberpix with a phone attached). 

As far as plans themselves...can't help you there.  Will and I barely use 400 minutes a month. 

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 06:40:14 »
I'm not a fan of apple either (don't own any other products) but I got to say my iPhone is amazing. I didn't expect much, but after having it for several months it's amazingly convenient

reguarding your other phone. If you haven't tossed it yet, I did the same thing with my blackjack a year ago, but I fixed it. Hopefully you took the battery out ASAP, take it all apart removed everything you can and put All the pieces in a Tupperware full of uncooked rice and set it on top of your cablebox ( surprisingly warm from processor) after 48 hours there mine fired up good as new

when that happend to me I also read you can dip the whole thing in rubbing achohol and then blow dry it. achohol is Suppose to bind to the water like the product Swim Ear does. But, I have never tried that method.

If you can afford the extra $30 a month for the iPhone data. You won't be sorry. If you haven't already got another phone I can loan you my blackjack and let you play around with my iPhone at the arcade meeting.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 07:18:26 »
I switched from At&t to verizon about a year ago and like it better. I am paying 130 per month (two phones on this plan) for 1400 minutes, I got a 10 person freinds & family deal that's free, and mobile to mobile on verizon is free, unlimited text, unlimited internet use, plus something with twitter and facebook (I don't use those - I think Cheryl does) I got a navagator thingie too, kind of like a GPS and a ton of other stuff I don't know how to use... I like it....

You know, when I first saw this post, I thought you were going to show plans on how to make a cell phone :laugh:

Joel
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 07:20:27 by Joel »

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 08:40:52 »
I switched from At&t to verizon about a year ago and like it better. I am paying 130 per month (two phones on this plan) for 1400 minutes, I got a 10 person freinds & family deal that's free, and mobile to mobile on verizon is free, unlimited text, unlimited internet use, plus something with twitter and facebook (I don't use those - I think Cheryl does) I got a navagator thingie too, kind of like a GPS and a ton of other stuff I don't know how to use... I like it....

You know, when I first saw this post, I thought you were going to show plans on how to make a cell phone :laugh:

Joel

show plans to make a cell phone come on now Joel your starting to sound like Nikki and child boards. You two must be hanging out with each other too much or something. ;D
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 09:33:53 »
The Verizon Droid comes out today. Looks pretty slick. Similar to the iPhone, but with a decent network where you can actually surf in 3G.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 09:42:07 »
Thanks everyone.

I am leaning toward Verizon because I really want the Droid.

Wes, batterys out, but not before I stood in front of the toilet with my mouth open for 10 seconds. I will have to try the tupperware idea.

I'll have to play with your Iphone this weekend...

Really? Do I show my geek colors that strongly?   :laugh:
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Lost Floridian

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 10:06:45 »
The Droid looks really cool, especially for someone as ummm.. 'Electronically savvy'... as you.

For me the sticking point with Version (and Sprint) it that they don’t use SIM cards, you just dropped you phone in your toilet, but I bet you just took your SIM card out, put it in an old AT&T phone and WHALA, your back in business! But if that was a Version phone you'd have to go back to them with your tail between your legs where they would make you either buy a new phone at full cost or force you to sign a another 2 year contract.

(If you don’t have an old AT&T phone let me know, we still have the phones we upgraded from).

slandis3

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 10:13:57 »
For me the sticking point with Version (and Sprint) it that they don’t use SIM cards, you just dropped you phone in your toilet, but I bet you just took your SIM card out, put it in an old AT&T phone and WHALA, your back in business! But if that was a Version phone you'd have to go back to them with your tail between your legs where they would make you either buy a new phone at full cost or force you to sign a another 2 year contract.

Thats why I like the storm. It stores all my contact info on a mini flash card.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 10:19:18 »
I didn't know about Verizon not using SIMs, but I'm sure the Droid does what Mike's Storm does. Even tho my phone had a SIM, I still saved most of my contacts to the phone  :angryfire
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 10:53:57 »

But if that was a Version phone you'd have to go back to them with your tail between your legs where they would make you either buy a new phone at full cost or force you to sign a another 2 year contract.).

Take it from the guy that roles through phones about every 3 months. :) You can switch phones online through verizon if you have an old phone. You do lose your contacts if you didn't save to your flash card or back up on the computer, but that would be it.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 13:51:32 »
With Verizon you can use the back up assistant for free and save all your contact info through the site.  You can then down load into the new phone.  There is a $1.99 per month fee if you are not a "myverizon" subscriber but that is waived if you become a "myverizon" subscriber, which is free to do.  Kind of stupod to me but whatever.  I have everything backed up on Myverizon.  I have the LG Dare.  The droid looks pretty cool though!

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 13:54:41 »
I have all my contact backed up through verizon.

I just got a new phone last week because my old one stopped working. All my old info was available on line as a back up and transferred into my new phone with no problem.

Reefd Up

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 16:01:22 »
JD...I've gotta say, you sound like me.  I dropped my old Cingular phone into boiling custard (but it still worked...amazingly).  I just recently dropped my new fancy MP3 player into saltwater (imagine that...).  I'm going to bust it apart and see if I can't clean it well enough, but I'm sure the salt did its number on the electronics.  (Rice trick didn't help.)  :(

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 17:16:15 »
Something about SW is slightly more corrosive than FW  ;D Plus im sure all those salt crystals after evaporation on the MP3 player's hardrive are great for read/write :laugh:

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Reefd Up

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 07:53:00 »
Yup...pretty much.  :(

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 11:09:03 »
Well done Nikki :)

I'm gonna pry my phone apart today and see if I can get the water out from behind the screen... It is oddly freeing not having a cell phone I must say.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 13:17:27 »
You try the rice thing?  It's amazing how it sucked all the water out of mine. I didn't even have the tell-tell humidity behind the LCD

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 14:40:18 »
Haven't tried the rice thing yet. I couldn't help self from taking it all apart first :) It seems pretty dry inside, I'll try the rice thing this afternoon and cross my fingers...
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Rob

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 21:16:27 »
I got my Droid Friday morning, this thing is a beast!  If anyone is interested in a monster smart-phone, check it out.

The Verizon Droid comes out today. Looks pretty slick. Similar to the iPhone, but with a decent network where you can actually surf in 3G.

Rob

Offline Rayman

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 02:35:50 »
Well done Nikki :)

I'm gonna pry my phone apart today and see if I can get the water out from behind the screen... It is oddly freeing not having a cell phone I must say.

"It is oddly freeing not having a cell phone I must say."

i went two years without a cell and opted for the home phone net and cbl plan instead and must say freeing is an understatement it was great to not have people calling me 24/7 , but there where a few times when i did wish i had it and then realized that the pay phones all over the world had been stolen by aleins without anyone knowing and when i did find one it was like a five bucks  to make a call.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 08:27:59 »
Just to let you know, CnC red alert came out in the app store this week. It drains the heck out of the battery, but it's pretty sweet to have on your phone.

slandis3

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 09:00:21 »
Just to let you know, CnC red alert came out in the app store this week. It drains the heck out of the battery, but it's pretty sweet to have on your phone.

Thats almost worth switching to i phone. Love that game.