2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Moving Tank Question  (Read 464 times)

Offline Arcade_Guy

• Juvenile
  • Centipede
Moving Tank Question
« on: December 14, 2009, 20:02:14 »
So I'm moving this weekend, and a friend and I were discussing what would be best for the tank and inhabitants...

I have a deep sand bed in the main tank.. Probably 6 1/2" of sand. My buddy's point was that the die off from bacteria, ect will make the tank cycle very hard, and that this could kill my fish & corals. This is what I'm worried about...

But I guess my question is, if i keep enough water in the tank to cover the sand bed, will there be die off that significant in the hour to hour and a half it would take me to get water back in the tank?

Has anyone moved a DSB intact and been ok with the cycle?
Or would you guys/girls just keep the fish & corals in a separate tub with a koralia & lights until the cycle is over? The latter is more of a pain, but better than losing anything due to a heavy cycle!

Thanks in advance for your input & opinions :D

PS, i know that keeping that much sand and water in the tank is going to make it VERY heavy...
55 Gallon Reef - Hamilton, OH 45013

Arnold shares his deepest feelings

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
Re: Moving Tank Question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 20:08:56 »
We have moved quite a few tanks with deep sandbeds and they have all made it. Almost all go through at least a small cycle but none have been that big. We always just leave the sand damp and try not to stir it up much during the move.I think you will be ok.

Offline Arcade_Guy

• Juvenile
  • Centipede
Re: Moving Tank Question
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 21:54:02 »
thanks for the input.. i was hoping someone, anyone would share that kind of info with me lol

i lost at least 75% of my corals and a few fish to a bad power outage a while back... been trying to hang on to what i have left. Don't want this move to be the end of the tank!!

55 Gallon Reef - Hamilton, OH 45013

Arnold shares his deepest feelings