2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: SPS Polyp Extension  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
SPS Polyp Extension
« on: January 07, 2010, 20:51:27 »
I have about 25 SPS pieces in my main tank.....from frags to colonies.   Every piece has good polyp extension and are growing ......except one.  No Bleaching, and still has most of its color.  Just little to no polyps showing.    This is a fairly large polyped SPS.   Trying to figure out what to do.

1) Do Nothing
2) More/Less Light
3) More Less Flow.

Any Opinions.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: SPS Polyp Extension
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 21:10:15 »
what type of coral is this?  I have found that pe on my corals as been mostly associated with water quality and flow.  with your other corals doing good I would seem to believe it to be a flow issue whether it be too much or too little you might have to experiment with it's placement.
Jeff

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 21:13:52 »
Have you checked it at night?

Reefd Up

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 21:16:24 »
+1 on asking what type of coral it is.  Some Acropora are very light intolerant (believe it or not)...while some softies require more light than the usual SPS.  So...that could be a factor.  Where is it in the tank?  Have you moved it recently?  

Some species of coral do not naturally extend polyps out far.  Some only extend certain parts of the polyps out far.

Is there anything irritating it?  Any crabs, stinging corals, redbugs, flatworms, anything that could be upsetting it?

How long have you had the coral?  How long has it been in its current spot?  

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 21:24:24 »
It's my Ora Purple Plasma Acro.

Had the coral for a while now.....bought it with the ORA group buy at the Ranch.   I did move it from my frag tank to the main display about a month ago....the frag plug is growing back over fine.  It's in slightly less light than it had in the Frag tank.   

Never seen a pest on it or any of my corals, and I check at night too.   I know some corals just go through this cycle, so I'm not too worried yet.

Reefd Up

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 21:49:35 »
Some SPS can take about 6 months to re-acclimate fully to a new tank.  How did you acclimate it?  Is your frag tank a separate system?  If so, is there usually an alkalinity difference between the two tanks?  Temp difference? 

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 21:51:13 »
Same system