2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: New fish advice  (Read 5825 times)

Offline rancoo

• Adult
Re: New fish advice
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 21:13:13 »
What i've read they can grow to 9 inches.  I think they have better color as a juvenile, but here is a video of the adult and i like the color. 
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 21:15:33 »
Maybe my eye's are out of whack.  Thought it said 14" as adult.  Need to have the Mk I eyeballs checked out...
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 21:17:49 »
Where did you see 14? 
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 21:23:19 »
oh, I like the color.  ThatPetPlace says 10".  It is a pretty fish.  I looked up the watanabe also.  Nice fish.  I love the female.  I want one !!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 21:35:28 »
What you've never changed your mind?   :)
o i have thats y i didnt say anything like i allways say its ur tank u have to look at it do what u want cuz thats what i do
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 21:36:37 »
and he looks great 2  :party0040:
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 22:30:25 »
Where did you see 14? 

One of my reef books several months ago.  Was liking the juvenile color.  I can research it and get back to you.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 23:11:49 »
One of my reef books several months ago.  Was liking the juvenile color.  I can research it and get back to you.

Everything i have seen online says 9, so lets hope thats right
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 20:47:23 »
13.5" adult avg length, "Reef Secrets" is the referenced book.  This is for the Atlantic blue tang.

Kev

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 21:13:07 »
13.5" adult avg length, "Reef Secrets" is the referenced book.  This is for the Atlantic blue tang.

Kev

Thanks for the info, i sure hope that book is wrong :)
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2010, 22:33:52 »
Yes, I do too.  Meanwhile, enjoy your new fishie!

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 07:18:33 »
If we are talking about Acanthurus coeruleus, It is doubtful this fish will be blue at 2.5" in size. Juv. are a yellow-ish color and turn blue as they mature.

This tang will get big and is down right mean. This is one of the more aggressive fish I have owned. Big triggers & groupers are good company for these.  I've grown them to over 8" and have seen them in the wild pushing a foot.

Initially this fish should do ok and mind it's manners but as it grows it may be tough on it's tank mates.

Also this fish is notorious for carrying flukes (trematodes). These can be very tough to deal with in an aquarium. putting it through a quarantine period and treating accordingly is something I would strongly suggest. These parasites are very hard to detect, a freshwater dip typically will reveal them if it's carrying them. They (the parasite) are not susceptible to common treatments such as copper. An organophosphate treatment such as dylox or,  probably easier to purchase, fluke tabs kills this parasite. Pretty lethal meds but do work but can not be done in your display tank, this stuff kills darn near everything!!!

If you need help or have questions, call or PM me.

Joel

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2010, 11:46:38 »
Joel, as usual, you are a great resource to this hobby.

Kev

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2010, 14:17:56 »
Yes i am speaking of Acanthurus coeruleus.  Here is a picture of what it looks like, this is not exact but its not quite this big, but has darker blue colors.

I have it in quarantine right now.
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2010, 14:35:17 »
Aww... isn't that cute.  Evil comes in many forms.  Right now, my version of evil comes in maroon with gold bands...

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2010, 16:16:53 »
Aww... isn't that cute.  Evil comes in many forms.  Right now, my version of evil comes in maroon with gold bands...
haha yeah i was reading your post
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2010, 06:18:40 »
That is awesome that it shows good blue color when small, Good score!! I used to be disappointed in them when they came in and were a muddy yellowish - greenish color. If it changes to more yellow, don't freak out, they will do this some times.

Look very closely at the eyes and watch for clear -ish opaque ovals,  kind of like see through fish scales on the eyes. Also watch closely for a foggy appearance of the eyes. Other places to watch are the edges of the fins and where the pectoral fins meet the body. These are all areas that trematodes will congregate in higher populations. The eves are probably the first and easiest place to spot them. If you see no symptoms, this does not mean it doesn't have them. They can be very small and grow large enough over a couple weeks to be seen. Keep it in quarantine at least two weeks to see if anything develops.

I think it's worth mentioning that this fish is also susceptible to the more common parasites, most commonly Cryptocaryon irritans, what is often incorrectly refer to as ICH. This would be the more common little white spots on the fishes body. Treatment options are numerous. Sometimes just getting the fish stronger through good food fortified with supplements such as Saltwater Vita-Chem is enough. Soaking the food in a garlic supplement is another option that often works. If treatment is needed, some of the better copper based medications are safe to use with this fish (note that not all fish deal with copper treatments real well - powder blue tangs for example) I prefer Odinex, Cupramine  or cuprerex maintained at about 1.5 to 2.0 PPM for 14 days. Of these meds, cupramine made by sea-chem is probably the easier to find and safer to use med. I have accidentally overdosed this med and not harmed the fish where as Odinex is a better - faster acting med, if you goof up with it you'll likely kill your fish.

Well, hopefully you won't have to deal with any of these parasite issues but it's better to prevent an infestation and to be prepared for it if it happens. Kudos to you for quarantining the fish first.  It's a very good habit to get into.

Joel

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2010, 17:05:26 »
Joel, thanks for the advice.  I will check all those spots later on tonight.  It has been eating really well and very active. 
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2010, 19:10:45 »
I checked and didn't see any of those signs that you mentioned. 
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2010, 21:24:49 »
joel knows his stuff
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Viggen

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2010, 13:19:57 »
I have owned 2 Atlanta blue tangs and the last one grew to be a killer. He was LG but I forget his exact size, maybe 8+ in long and started killing my fish so I gave him to Joel and warned him about the attitude. He was by far the mfanest fish I have owned.  Some wrasse thalasome or something like that was next in line for aggression. 

Gave him to joel and was bounced around numerous tanks.  I do really like them and the ones I owned looked great as adults.

The other LG one had no attitude and was in a smaller tank (150g vs 260g)  debating on putting a few in my new tank, just worry about the attitude, my mean ones attitude was much worse then a sohal tang
300g tub o fish

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2010, 22:11:49 »
He is doing really well so far, but he is still a juvenile.  He is now in my main tank and still eating really well, chases the Chromis when they are in its way, but thats about it for now. 
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)