2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Light Arrangement  (Read 1283 times)

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Light Arrangement
« on: January 13, 2021, 21:04:25 »
I have a 96g corner tank. It is basically 1/4 piece of a circle. The radius is 35 inches.

I have 2 Ocean Revive lights. I’m debating how to arrange them.

In the first pic I connected the two end to end with a set of legs with the 90deg cut off. The width would be 31.5”. My tank is about 38” where the middle of the lights would be.

In the second pic they’d be side by side.

What’s your opinions on which set up would be best? I’m leaning toward the end to end.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Light Arrangement
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 00:25:07 »
You could  lay them on top of the canopy and angle them however they need to be to get the best coverage. Then trace the outside pattern, cut the hole a couple inches smaller so they don’t fall through. Then put a couple small blocks of wood on each side so they stay put. You can put a piece of trim in front of the light so you don’t see them sitting on top of canopy.

Additional option is put them inside the canopy but it may affect length of life due to heat and humidity.

Last option is remove canopy if you don’t have animals or children around or fish that jump. Then make a floating canopy or a corner shelf above the tank and mount the light on the bottom of that. Might be handy to have a shelf above tank for fish food, test kits etc... then having a peice of wood on the front of the shelf that overhangs the lights so you don’t see them would be cool. Kind of like under cabinet lighting

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 00:42:08 »
Here is a few pics how I did mine. The metal bracket enables me to slide them to better position. Something like that may be handy in your configuration  as well   

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 05:54:24 »
Thanks Brian. Some good ideas to consider. I was planning on sitting them on top of the canopy, trying to avoid hanging if I can. Don’t want them inside the canopy due to humidity. Hadn’t considered angling them.

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 08:53:48 »
Mine set on top of my canopy a lot like Lazy describes.  I adhered some quarter-round around them to keep them from sliding around and potentially falling in tank. 

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 08:55:04 »
with lights.. I then wrapped them with some molding so that you can't see the lights (the molding fits in the gap between the lights and the 1/4 round)...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 09:07:07 by andys1982 »

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 08:57:05 »
Been I think 8 years now.  Same cheap black boxes.  I'm not sure you wouldn't have more spread problems with your lights though, being low to tank, and with the space they put between diodes

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 10:05:11 »
Wow, nice set-up andys1982. I like the idea of the 1/4 round to keep them from sliding. My lights would be about 10" off the water if sat on top of my canopy.

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 11:44:00 »
I'd guess 10" is about where mine sit

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 11:59:16 »
I had the same tank. I used three lights. One across the back and two across the front.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 09:08:56 »
I had the same tank. I used three lights. One across the back and two across the front.
I could always set them up across the front and if I discover I don’t have enough light to the rear of the tank add a third behind them.