2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Opinions on Sump Size  (Read 1847 times)

Offline AJ

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
  • A.J.
Opinions on Sump Size
« on: October 27, 2017, 11:30:16 »
Hi everyone! I am getting into my new tank build and the time has come for me to decide what size of sump to use. The display will be a standard 125 with a center Eshopps Eclipse L overflow, running a full siphon, trickle drain and emergency drain.

I'm trying to decide what size of sump to buy. It is going to be a standard tank that I design baffles for. I'm stuck between a 40 breeder and a 55 gallon.

What are you thoughts/benefits/drawbacks/etc...

Thanks!!!!

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Re: Opinions on Sump Size
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 16:40:25 »
What do you plan to keep in your sump?

120 gallon mixed reef.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 16:53:29 »
I like having enough space underneath the tank to store my calcium and alk containers as well as having enough space to remove my skimmer completely if needed.

120 gallon mixed reef.

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 18:33:59 »
How high is the stand the sump needs to fit into?  We used a 55g on our old 125 and it worked well but i also used a tall steel stand so I had lots of access.  I think a 40Long would have been better access wise.

Offline AJ

• Adult
  • A.J.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 10:58:08 »
What do you plan to keep in your sump?

120 gallon mixed reef.

The drains will drain into a small drain chamber, which overflows into 2 filter socks. The next chamber will be either refugium/live rock or the skimmer. After those I will have a bubble trap, then a small "return" section for dosing/ATO/probes/etc... then there will be a bulkhead with a strainer that connects to the pump. The pump will then be plumbed into a manifold so i can add reactors and such and run them off the return.

Offline AJ

• Adult
  • A.J.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 10:59:38 »
How high is the stand the sump needs to fit into?  We used a 55g on our old 125 and it worked well but i also used a tall steel stand so I had lots of access.  I think a 40Long would have been better access wise.

How tall was your stand? If i recall correctly, your stand was almost the height that I want to make mine. We do most of our viewing standing up, so i want a slightly taller stand than normal. I was thinking 40" from floor to bottom of tank.

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 11:35:30 »
Don't have it anymore but I think it was around 40"