2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Ballast Help  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Ballast Help
« on: December 12, 2007, 20:08:58 »
I am looking to get a new ballast.  The one I am trying to replace is a Radionic rapid start ballast.  its for (2) F40 T12 40 watt lights.  the ballast has two yellow, one white and one black wire coming out of one side.  the other end has two red, and 2 blue.

I am looking for a good ballast (workhorse/current) buy I am unsure due to them not having the same wiring coming out of them to work with the ballast housing I have for the lights (the housing has a switch to flip the lights on and off) does this matter, can you work the wires out later?   

when it comes to DIY I am an idiot and I am trying to learn more as I go.

any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline verper

Re: Ballast Help
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 21:18:53 »
As long as you get a ballast that drives two F40 T12 lights, the wiring will work out just fine.  You don't need a switch on the ballast.  Most don't have them unless they are enclosed in a housing that has a switch built in.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 09:31:22 »
my retro lighting wiring (from the end caps) does go into the housing.  the housing also has a switch to turn on the lights. 

so if i get a ballast I can just connect/cut the wires where needed and put the ballast on a timer anyway so I do not need the switch to turn them on and off? 

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 09:35:14 »
If you are still looking for ballasts I believe Joe Ayers has a workhorse 5 ballast that he may sell just shoot him a pm and if we have a mtg he could bring it up if he goes. Right Joe?
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

Offline saltybuckeye

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 10:57:36 »
I think marine solutions used to stock some also if he doesn't have it still.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 12:53:20 »
I have a WH5 that will drive 2 F40s. I'll sell it for $25.

Joe