2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: durso standpipe..are you using one  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
durso standpipe..are you using one
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:23:31 »
if you are what type of hole (size) did you drill in it and where did you drill it?

I have two built and installed but I have not drilled any holes in them to control the water/air intake.  I have heard that you can drill a hole in the top of the cap and silicone in a valve to help with easier control

pics of your setup would be great to

thanks

Offline JoeAyers

Re: durso standpipe..are you using one
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 12:22:48 »
I just started at like a 1/4" bit and worked my way up until I found the size that didn't create the flush.   Installing  valve sounds like  good idea if you have a canopy and can hide it.

Offline Grunk08

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 17:47:30 »
Can the hole be to big? What would this cause?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 17:56:59 »
I drilled a hole on the top of mine and run an airline tubing outside to an air pump. It eliminated any noise and also helped a bit with PH dropping to low.

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 18:25:23 »
Valve would be good, but hole size is going to depend on many factors like: main pump used, head from pump to tank, drop from overflow to sump, and even the placement of the return in the sump (i.e. clean drop into socks, or u-tube type design).     

I have pretty good flow going thru my returns, and my hole size is pretty small, a little bigger than a toothpick.  In fact, I have to use a toothpick every once in a while when the hole plugs up with salt. 

- rayk 

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 18:36:25 »
Yes, agree with rayk, before the airline I had a 1/4" hole and it was to much and noisy. When I plugged my finger over most of it, it was perfect. Valve would be really good. You know this little tiny ones that come with the drip acclimation kit, that would be perfect.

Here is the kit. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16100
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 18:39:03 by Lazylivin »

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 19:58:59 »
thats what I had in mind is to use some type of valve and I can open or shut the valve to create the best effect for my setup.

right now they are not drilled, so i should wait until i get some valves so that i can drill to that size??

or should I start off with the smallest hole I can drill start up the pumps and see what happens... then work from that

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 20:35:18 »
Since the caps are just push to fit and are really cheap (quarter) you can drill a small hole and then keep going larger until you find you want. Then just replace the cap with the size you want it at.