2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: what type of heaters do you use?  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
what type of heaters do you use?
« on: December 23, 2008, 21:43:04 »
what kind do you use?  and do you have them on anytype of controller

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
Re: what type of heaters do you use?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 21:52:03 »
When I set my system back up I am planning on putting some of those under gravel heaters in it.  It has a LCD controller that has a thermomater that can be put anywhere. It should heat the substrate.  I figure this way I can get more heat out of less watts.  If this is wrong please let me know.  Not trying to steal your thread.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 22:26:14 »
no thats an interesting idea.  I am curious as well.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 22:27:16 »
I use one 100W titanium heater with external thermostat. Best heater I have ever owned. As far as a controller, I don’t run one yet. Within the next few months I plan on buying an ACjr, simply because of all the horror stories I’ve heard about heaters that cooked an aquarium.

JSleedy, can you post a link to that heather you’re talking about, I’ve never heard of one that works like that.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 22:37:03 »
Here is the discription of the heater.  You can find it on almost any aquarium site.  I'm sure Joel or Dodd can get them.  I don't want to post a link out of respect for our sponsors.  I did some research on these and they seem to be ok for saltwater and I haven't been able to find a reason I shouldn't use it other then replacing it down the road if I have to.  Since it will be in my refuge it shouldn't be that tuff.

Hydorkable Heating Cable
Heating cables make excellent, versatile substrate heaters for aquariums or terrarims. Provides regular and even heating distribution throughout the substrate media. Rubber heating cable attaches to bottom of aquarium with suction cups. Designed for use below your substrate. Produces a slight convection current to help bring nutrients down to plant roots.

The Hydor Hydroset electronic thermostat regulates the temperature of aquariums and terrariums when used with the Hydrokable. Equipped with an independent heating probe that works in both water and dry habitats. Simply attach the heating device and set the desired temperature. Choose from either the Thermostat with LCD digital display or temperature control dial.

Dayton,Ohio

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 22:52:45 »
THEY ARE A REALLY NEAT HEATER SYSTEM. BUT I THINK THEY ONLY GO TO 400 ATTS, AND THE CONTROLLER CAN BED LED OR A PLAIN DIAL. THERE ARE MADE BY HYDOR THE SAME PEOPLE THAT MAKE KORALIAS. THEIR WEB SITE IS HYDOR.COM. HOPE THESE ARE THE SAME ONES WE WERE TALKING ABOUT STEVE. ALSO FIRST PART OF NEXT YEAR THEY ARE HOPING TO COME OUT WITH LARGER WATTS, JUST HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND OUT HOW LARGE.HOPE THIS HELPS.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 22:56:08 »
That wattage was my biggest concern.  I figured the sand would be a force multiplier and if it still wasn't enough I wouldn't need as many watts from regular heaters.
Dayton,Ohio

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 22:59:59 »
OR JUST USE TWO 400'S. I ALWAYS LIKE TWO SMALLER HEATS,OVER ONE LARGE ONE. JUST FOR A LITTLE BACKUP AND SAFTY

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 23:06:16 »
I figure with my refuge in the basement and with the 10ft fall the water will need to be heated alot so it is warm enough by the time it goes back to the tank.  I plan to return between 4,000 and 5,000 gallons an hour.
Dayton,Ohio

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 23:14:16 »
HOW BIG OF DRAINS AND RETURNS ARE YOU USING. MOST OVERFLOWS WILL NOT HANDLE THAT MUCH.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 23:34:40 »
I was thininking about getting a ranco temp controller.  they can controll multiple heaters I believe up to 1000 watts total.

just not sure what heaters to hook up to it.  I was thinking 3 250 watt heaters (for a 150 gallon tank/ 125 sump)

set the heaters to 80 degrees and set the ranco controller to 78 degrees.  the reason behind that is if the ranco for some reason fails the heaters will still kick off themseleves at 80 degrees.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 23:42:10 »
I run two Hydor heaters (I think that is brand). 300w in sump and 150w in main tank. For safety sake I adjusted the internal thermostat to the heaters to 77.3 (took a couple days to get just right). Then connected to RK2 controller and set that to turn heater on at >77. That way if the controller goes bad and leaves the heater on constant the heater thermostat will turn off the heater. With controller you can also set what temperature fans kick on. For example heater on at >77 and fan on at <77.5
Those are the settings I used but after adding additional frag tank I was able to remove fan because temp does not make it up to 77.5 any longer. I am sure that will change in summer.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 23:46:40 by Lazylivin »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 23:44:33 »
The ranco temp controllers are expensive with limited functionality. Spend a bit more for the Acjr.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 23:51:45 »
how are the reef-keeper 2's?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 23:59:48 »
I think they are absolutely fantastic. Cant image the tank without it now. However as I have said a few times before the Acjr has more functionality on paper then the RK2's. I bought the RK2 because all the connections go to power strip not the head unit (display). I wanted to flush mount it in the canopy and could not do that with ACjr. Here is a picture of the unit in my canopy the just after I installed it. Temperature does not run that high any longer.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 08:51:57 »
Nice install!