2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 2 questions  (Read 3495 times)

Offline larrynews

2 questions
« on: September 02, 2009, 17:52:25 »
will gsp smother my sps corals it is starting to spread to the plug.

will anthelia smother or hurt a sps its waving all around it and i havent noticed anything yet

thanks

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 17:59:19 »
will gsp smother my sps corals it is starting to spread to the plug.

will anthelia smother or hurt a sps its waving all around it and i havent noticed anything yet

thanks

GSP may hurt some corals. I have a few that are having stinging wars with it but no serious damage yet. They may be able to grow up and kill some SPS. Anthelia may be okay other then nuisance and blocking light but don't know for sure. On similar note I have Some green implosion Paly's that are stinging and killing everything they come in contact with. Going to nuke them with some KALK soon.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 18:03:13 »
can i kalk the gps out of areas i dont want them

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 18:19:30 »
I am not sure. Maybe if you made it into a paste, turned the pumps off and left on for a while and only did a little at a time because of nitrates and ammonia from the dying coral. Not sure what other toxins it could release. Keep in mind that Kalk is very acidic and will burn you pretty bad and kill anything it comes in contact with on the rock. Maybe someone else will chime in that has been sucessful removing GSP from a reef without cooking the rocks.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 20:08:07 »
can i kalk the gps out of areas i dont want them

You need a veterinary syringe. Or an Aptasia syringe.

2 table spoons water
1 table spoon kalk, or pickling lime.

Boil in the microwave for about a minute. It makes a thick hot paste. You want to suck it up quick, as it will dry into chalk quickly.

Kills everything it touches. Xenia, GSP, Aptasia, etc.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 00:31:04 »
Thanks for the recipe I will give that a try on those paly's. Larry don't use the whole thing that at once. Two tablespoons of kalk in the tank would not be a good thing.  :flameA TSP may even be a bit much depending on your water volume. Next time I do a water change and have the level below the Palys going to give it a try on a couple.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 09:48:27 »
I've never tryed it on Palys. But it kills Aptasia very well. For the Xenia, pull as much off as you can, and kill the base that remains.

I normally use the whole solution at once. But my total volume is around 160G.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 10:27:06 »
my tank is 125 plus 30 or so sump

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 13:22:24 »
I think two tablespoons of kalk would raise the ph temporaly to unhealthy levels.
Try just a little bit on a small area to see if it is effective first.
Anyone else have any in tank ideas? Assuming larry that u can't remove the rock and power wash it which would be most effective if you don't have any other corals on it.

my tank is 125 plus 30 or so sump

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 13:32:51 »
I think two tablespoons of kalk would raise the ph temporaly to unhealthy levels.
Try just a little bit on a small area to see if it is effective first.
Anyone else have any in tank ideas? Assuming larry that u can't remove the rock and power wash it which would be most effective if you don't have any other corals on it.

Its 1 table spoon of kalk. I've tested my PH before and after, with no ill effects on the tank. With his volume of water, he will be fine. Unless he is the type that doses for Alk/PH and Calcium daily. Then yes, he might hurt his PH, but I doubt it. I used this a few days ago. I still have a few clumps of it behind my rocks where I killed a few large aptasia and missed. My PH was 8.0 this morning. Its normally 7.9.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 13:40:09 »
i probably could take off the corals on the rock and kill it,but i finally have a few sps doing well where it is so i dont want to jinks myself.....but i might do that its a large rock about the size of 2 footballs

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 13:42:04 »
If your worried you can mix it much thinner, and use an insulin syringe and inject it. Thats what I do to aptasia thats not hidden in a crack. It works for Xenia aswell, but not as good as covering it.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 13:52:34 »
thanks