2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Diy led questions  (Read 6821 times)

Offline Learning_The_Hard_Way

• Adult
Re: Diy led questions
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2011, 20:00:19 »
I just thought, you have XPG and XRE right? then they can run at a diff voltage, so make sure you set your driver at the lower ammount so you dont overdrive your XRE's

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2011, 06:42:16 »
Im getting xp-g r5 white and xp-e royal blue
90 gallon shallow

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2011, 07:55:33 »
what kind of power supply are you using?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2011, 13:13:46 »
Im getting xp-g r5 white and xp-e royal blue

Just curious why.  You said that you wanted more of a 14-20k look.   Why would you get your whites with more output than your blues?    I know that a 50/50 mix of the XR-E White and XR-E Blues will be pretty close to what you want.  If you go with the XP-G's, your going to need to experiment with the ratios.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2011, 13:19:50 »
the only benefit to getting the xpg's are that they are more efficient, but i agree with wall, you are going to have to control the whites differently than the blues since they have different specs.

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2011, 18:06:20 »
Could  i do 2 blues for every white that would make wirering everything easier
90 gallon shallow

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2011, 18:13:20 »
I Love the blue over the whites personally i think when i finally get aroudnt to making my lights i'm gonna have it so the whites can be turned off and on independently or have it cycle so many blues off and replace with so many whites when i feel i want more white in the tank.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2011, 18:36:45 »
Yeah. You can do about anything that you want.

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2011, 18:42:45 »
So about how many reds would you suggerst per heatsink
90 gallon shallow

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2011, 22:36:00 »
i would probably suggest only 2-3, i think you would want the reds more for accenting and feeding the corals. Too much and it could really throw your colors off from what people are used to/like to see.

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2011, 13:22:43 »
So my plan is to do 18 by 8 inch heatsink. There will be 9 rows of four leds. The first row of four will be all blue then a row of whites then 2 rows of blues another row of white 2 more rows of blues another white row and a blue row. Would this give me an even spread i dont plan on haveing optics on the whites. Next what else beside leds drivers fans and heatsinks would i need to do my diy led , resisters , circuit breakers.
90 gallon shallow

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2011, 14:23:23 »
Do you want dimming or just on/off? What size tank is this going over? Tour setup is going yo probably be extremely blue. Tows of blue are ok but typically people stagger them. IF you are wanting to try something out, I would suggest supplimenting some blues and whites with a green, red, natural white, and royal blue. They will help bring out the colors in your corals and provide them a wider spectrum of photons. With as deep as typical tanks are ( less than 24") the color should reach the bottom. But use only 1 or 2 so it only enhances the colors. I'm working with Cutter yo do some experiments with all the XPE colors.

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2011, 15:07:45 »
So my plan is to do 18 by 8 inch heatsink. There will be 9 rows of four leds. The first row of four will be all blue then a row of whites then 2 rows of blues another row of white 2 more rows of blues another white row and a blue row. Would this give me an even spread i dont plan on haveing optics on the whites. Next what else beside leds drivers fans and heatsinks would i need to do my diy led , resisters , circuit breakers.
When i said blue i mentroyal blue its going over a 210 gallon tank its going to be dimmable there will be three fixtures of 39 consisting of 24 xp-e royal blues and 12 xp-g r5 cool whites and 3 reds
90 gallon shallow

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2011, 18:21:05 »
Ah yes. Sorry for some reason I thought this was a new thread. I would just try mixing some other color leds in there to get a better overall coloration in your tank. Since you are using RB leds add some blues, just a couple of each per fixture instead of so much blue color unless that's what you want. Its going to be pretty blue though IMO.

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2011, 20:41:27 »
I was going for a 14k to 20k lokk woul i acomplish this with these lights the r5 whites are more powerful the xp-e royal blues right. Also does cree sell green leds if so where can you buy them
90 gallon shallow

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2011, 20:46:23 »
Yes the XPG CW are more powerful than the XPE RB. Cree does sell different colors in the XPE series. Look up cutter leds.

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2011, 11:07:56 »
I was thinking of doing 2blues 2reds 2 greens per fixture is that tomuch ?
90 gallon shallow

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2011, 12:22:27 »
It will be a test, but i dont think so out of 36, should blend in well. The only other concern i had were the optics. Not sure if i would use the same optics and the more abundant white and RB or go with a wider one. This part (using colored LEDs) is still experimental for me.