2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Soldering leds  (Read 7190 times)

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
Soldering leds
« on: May 30, 2011, 08:59:30 »
I found a website called led group buy. They have leds for sale pretty cheap but they dont come with solder on them So does anybody have any idea how to solder leds
90 gallon shallow

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
Re: Soldering leds
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 09:01:33 »
I found a website called led group buy. They have leds for sale pretty cheap but they dont come with solder on them So does anybody have any idea how to solder leds
I would try darinschmidt

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:36:28 »

I glanced at the site, they appear to have starboards......do not mess with a LED that is not mounted to a starboard.   The starboard contacts are easy to solder.     Any DIY kits that you buy require soldering.

Soldering to a starboard is easy.  Get yourself a nice small soldering iron.... the smaller the better.  Heat the contact with your iron, then apply solder..... prep the end of the wire you are going to attach the same way.   Two surfaces that are pre-soldered will attach much easier.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 10:06:30 »
I glanced at the site, they appear to have starboards......do not mess with a LED that is not mounted to a starboard.   The starboard contacts are easy to solder.     Any DIY kits that you buy require soldering.

Soldering to a starboard is easy.  Get yourself a nice small soldering iron.... the smaller the better.  Heat the contact with your iron, then apply solder..... prep the end of the wire you are going to attach the same way.   Two surfaces that are pre-soldered will attach much easier.
Sorry wall_ I wasn't trying to trying to exclude you as someone who could answer this. I believe the pre application of solder is called tinning?

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 10:11:34 »
Sorry wall_ I wasn't trying to trying to exclude you as someone who could answer this. I believe the pre application of solder is called tinning?
Here is a link to get you in the general area Cole
http://www.mediacollege.com/misc/solder/

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:36:47 »
http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/categories/CREE/XP%252dE/

Those prices don't look half bad either... and they appear to have just about everything you will need in a one stop shop. Good find imo
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 11:18:12 »

Darin lives here and usually answers first.   I'm sure he will have something to say    :flame

Yes the process is call tinning. 

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 11:21:25 »
I'm amazed at the number of people who see "CREE" and go nuts because the prices are cheap.  CREE distributes their LED's in various categories based on color temperature, lumen output, and so forth.  You can buy XR-E's, XP-E's, XP-G's cheap from many places, and they are NOT the same.  Go to CREE's website and look up binning information to see what I'm talking about.  For example, most XR-E's sold on the market for DIY purposes were Q5 bin.  Mine, and I think Wall_Tank's are RC bin.  There's a significant color difference between the two bins. There weren't many of the RC XR-E's available; they were the cream of the crop and very desirable at the time.  Same goes with the current generation of chips; different bin lots are cheaper but are significantly different than other bins.  See what is working for others before you just buy an LED marked CREE XP-E Cool White.

I've never seen a pre-tinned starboard; LED soldering is a breeze, so if you don't see tinning, do it yourself. I pre-tinned all 80 of my LED's in about an hour.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 11:25:45 »
Good point Kev, if the place your going to buy them from does not disclose the "binning" I would not buy from them......unless your assuming or planning to get a lower grade chip.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 11:40:32 »
I'm amazed at the number of people who see "CREE" and go nuts because the prices are cheap.  CREE distributes their LED's in various categories based on color temperature, lumen output, and so forth.  You can buy XR-E's, XP-E's, XP-G's cheap from many places, and they are NOT the same.  Go to CREE's website and look up binning information to see what I'm talking about.  For example, most XR-E's sold on the market for DIY purposes were Q5 bin.  Mine, and I think Wall_Tank's are RC bin.  There's a significant color difference between the two bins. There weren't many of the RC XR-E's available; they were the cream of the crop and very desirable at the time.  Same goes with the current generation of chips; different bin lots are cheaper but are significantly different than other bins.  See what is working for others before you just buy an LED marked CREE XP-E Cool White.

I've never seen a pre-tinned starboard; LED soldering is a breeze, so if you don't see tinning, do it yourself. I pre-tinned all 80 of my LED's in about an hour.

Guess you learn something new everyday....

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 11:59:04 »
Unless I am reading their charts wrong these appear(or atleast the few I looked at) appear to read above standard... And the difference of each bin seems to vary only slightly. Aside from buying one completely end of the spectrum(below Standard) when needing the other end(performance) would the changes really be that dramatic? According to most the numbers I see on the chart there are minimal differences across the board.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 12:32:08 »
Unless I am reading their charts wrong these appear(or atleast the few I looked at) appear to read above standard... And the difference of each bin seems to vary only slightly. Aside from buying one completely end of the spectrum(below Standard) when needing the other end(performance) would the changes really be that dramatic? According to most the numbers I see on the chart there are minimal differences across the board.

The way I look at it is......  This highest bin is what they shoot for in the manufacturing process.  Chips that don't meet specification are re-graded for lower performance.   I would prefer to buy a chip that met the "designed" manufacturing process, but then again, this carries a premium sometimes.

For what it is worth.....this is the same process a lot of chip makers use.  intel does this on their CPU's....a 2.4ghz processor is the same as a 3.0ghz processor that just won't run at 3.0, but it runs fine at 2.4.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 13:36:09 »
Dry I didn't chime in earlier. Lol. Been busy. But yeah, well covered by all ESP kattz and wall
 Just make sure you are satisfied with the bin that comes on the star before you buy as the linens/color can vary fairly well between each one. Just tin them yourself. Good find thought btw.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 18:02:41 »
Good point Kev, if the place your going to buy them from does not disclose the "binning" I would not buy from them......unless your assuming or planning to get a lower grade chip.

OR if the price is too good to be true, who's to say they are actually Q5s? There is nothing to prove it.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 19:04:08 »
Right, Wes, they're generally not individually marked.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 19:48:37 »
So what do you guys think should i buy from this place or another place like rapid led
90 gallon shallow

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 20:25:57 »
Cutter is cheaper than rapid

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 20:26:54 »
OR if the price is too good to be true, who's to say they are actually Q5s? There is nothing to prove it.

This would apply to either end of possible scenarios... if they aren't individually marked(which I think is dense), who's to say your getting what you pay for period.  Sounds like it's a gamble either way... you could order the best bin and receive substandard, and unless you test every unit are you really ever gonna think any different about them? This could even lead you into telling everyone they have to buy the best bin cause it works for you, when you have something completely different. lol

And some of the units on the chart were only different by a fraction of performance, but the up front cost for those units were an average of 1-3$ more for the marginally better unit... In some cases you could almost buy 2 of the lower units for the cost of the one better bin.

Seems kinda unbalanced to me, but I guess that's part of the reason why you see such a flux in prices for these units.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 20:49:35 »
Trust Mr. Even with paying an extra 1-3 bucks from an actual Cree dealer for the best leds will pay forthemselves within 2-3 years. Not really worth saving a couple and receive off par less. Order from cutter. They are a licensed dealer and have the next prices and tons of other options

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 22:09:30 »
I got the best deal from ReefLEDLighting.  It was like 20% off of his list price; club discount and ex-military.  The people at Rapid were just not that plush when it came to customer interaction IMO.  As for what you get, my star boards came in on a spree inside a bubble pack with a CREE label stating DOM, P/N, and so forth.  I got what I paid for.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 22:21:40 »
I got the best deal from ReefLEDLighting.  It was like 20% off of his list price; club discount and ex-military.  The people at Rapid were just not that plush when it came to customer interaction IMO.  As for what you get, my star boards came in on a spree inside a bubble pack with a CREE label stating DOM, P/N, and so forth.  I got what I paid for.

Never said you didn't, But I think it's weird they don't etch em at the plant or come up with a serial of sorts...(obviously they make alot but etching a bin+lot number would almost seem standard to me)....

And yes I completely understand and totally agree with you that a more efficient bulb might make up that extra dollar or two it costs in it's life, but purchasing 2 slightly less performing bulbs for the same price could have it's benefits aswell ;)

Either way I could really care less, I just thought it was weird they created all these bins, and everyone is supposed to take what little bit of assurance a sticker on the bubble wrap can provide that what you ordered is what your really getting.

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 16:32:19 »
Just wondering were did you guys who have done led fixtures buy your leds i wasnplanning on getting my leds drivers lenses etc at rapid led and getting my fans and heatsinks at reefledlights
90 gallon shallow

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 16:39:19 »
Never said you didn't,

That's not what I was saying, just that is the method I used to confirm that I got what I ordered.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 16:40:40 »
Just wondering were did you guys who have done led fixtures buy your leds i wasnplanning on getting my leds drivers lenses etc at rapid led and getting my fans and heatsinks at reefledlights

Work out the best deal and get it all at one place IMO.  I like ReefLEDLighting.  I didn't like the response from RapidLED.

Offline Learning_The_Hard_Way

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 16:46:05 »
I got the best responce from RapidLED so its probably a toss up on whos busy at the time.  I liked the documentation they gave you too.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 16:50:32 »
If anyone orders from ReefLEDLights, I just spoke with Bill and he gave me the discount code REEF2REEF to use for your ordering.  They just recently lowered their pricing, so this is an additional 5% off of the lowered prices.

Kev

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 17:21:21 »
If anyone orders from ReefLEDLights, I just spoke with Bill and he gave me the discount code REEF2REEF to use for your ordering.  They just recently lowered their pricing, so this is an additional 5% off of the lowered prices.

Kev
Brown chicken brown cow! Kev, you are the man!  :-ThumbUpsm

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 19:37:15 »
Has anyone checked out cutter? Its like 5 something an led. And they sell your drivers and such too. By far the best price I have seen. 5% on 5 bucks per led isn't much to talk about. Cutter gives free shipping over $100. They sell the drivers and everything.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 19:58:06 »
Has anyone checked out cutter? Its like 5 something an led. And they sell your drivers and such too. By far the best price I have seen. 5% on 5 bucks per led isn't much to talk about. Cutter gives free shipping over $100. They sell the drivers and everything.
Wow, just trying to be appreciative.  :th_madboom:

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 20:06:43 »
well nm, they must have upped their prices recently because they are around the $6-7 mark and i cant find the XPGs on a 20mm star. They did send me their wholesale prices though.... maybe i should check in with them and see if those have changed as well.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 20:51:58 »
well nm, they must have upped their prices recently because they are around the $6-7 mark and i cant find the XPGs on a 20mm star. They did send me their wholesale prices though.... maybe i should check in with them and see if those have changed as well.
Seriously, I was on cutters site today. Had to restrain for a moment. I was wondering were you were getting the XPGs from? You answered my question though. ???

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 20:58:00 »
my brother in law can get em seriously cheap(not sure on the "bin") but we have to bulk order em, like a 1000 each order

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 21:22:06 »
Seriously, I was on cutters site today. Had to restrain for a moment. I was wondering were you were getting the XPGs from? You answered my question though. ???

yeah, its been a couple months since i been on their site, but heck i did a group buy and got them for just over 4 bucks, and the wholesale price was around 4 also, and now i go on there you can only get them on the smallest pcb, not the 20mm normal sized one, and they are around 6-7.... i dont get what the deal is. So i'll have to check my wholesale price list again to see whats going on.

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 18:43:19 »
just wondering if anybody has a lux/par meter i could buy or borrow thanks
90 gallon shallow

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 18:49:08 »
for a $10 premium subscription you can use the club's par meter as much as you like. cheaper than buying one ;)

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 19:00:41 »
for a $10 premium subscription you can use the club's par meter as much as you like. cheaper than buying one ;)
:th_boredsmiley:, speaking of which...sure is boring waiting for it though. I'll be happy to see if I can pick it up about oh say...the next meeting.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2011, 20:49:27 »
i have one that you hook to a multimeter you can borrow. Its the sensor. You connect it, read the miliVolts and multiply it by 5 and thats your PAR

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 21:10:35 »
i have one that you hook to a multimeter you can borrow. Its the sensor. You connect it, read the miliVolts and multiply it by 5 and thats your PAR
Oh yeah! If we get together before the meeting I'll take you up on that. Thank you brother  :-Rock

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 21:13:32 »
NP, just bring it back within a couple weeks, remember, i live up north in sidney. Though it would be a good chance for you to see my tank. Or i'm sure we could arrange something to where i can pick it up as i work in dayton sun-thurs and i get off at 3

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 21:24:01 »
Same here... I need to get mine back from a buddy though
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 22:17:02 »
NP, just bring it back within a couple weeks, remember, i live up north in sidney. Though it would be a good chance for you to see my tank. Or i'm sure we could arrange something to where i can pick it up as i work in dayton sun-thurs and i get off at 3
Yeah, I'm just a stones throw away Mon-Fri in area B. I live three minutes away from the museum, so maybe this Sunday? We could always go grab a beer after your done at work?
I will see your tank soon however, just waiting on the green jump light. I'll try not to fall through your ceiling...promise  ;)

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 22:18:40 »
lol, alright, sounds good to me

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 22:40:48 »
You do have insurance? Right? Lmao

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 22:55:00 »
ha, of course. Got to when you have a loan on a house. Wouldnt be wise not to even if you didnt have a loan.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2011, 00:10:48 »
ha, of course. Got to when you have a loan on a house. Wouldnt be wise not to even if you didnt have a loan.
Ahh, I was just kidding. I don't do stuff like that (fall through ceilings that is)

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2011, 00:12:58 »
Ahh, I was just kidding. I don't do stuff like that (fall through ceilings that is)

I don't think anyone tries... just kinda happens rofl

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2011, 00:24:38 »
I don't think anyone tries... just kinda happens rofl
Not too sure about the ones who do fall, but personally I've got over a 72" arm span. Think I got this

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2011, 06:23:48 »
I know you're joking. Just letting you know that if it happens, we're covered lol

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2011, 07:45:19 »
I know you're joking. Just letting you know that if it happens, we're covered lol
Good to know!