2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Tank drilling  (Read 13439 times)

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
Tank drilling
« on: July 19, 2011, 10:48:18 »
We need to drill 3 holes in reefpetes tank. Does anyone have a drill press or some way of drilling the holes as straight as possible? Maybe some sort of 2x4 ow the holes laid out straight? Any suggestions. 

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
Re: Tank drilling
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:50:43 »
We need to drill 3 holes in reefpetes tank. Does anyone have a drill press or some way of drilling the holes as straight as possible? Maybe some sort of 2x4 ow the holes laid out straight? Any suggestions. 
Lazy said something about having a wooden template specifically for the size holes I need punched. Maybe this weekend, we can do it at the meeting?

Offline thepipbull

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 10:59:52 »
I have a template and drill bit for 1" if lazy doesn't get them in time for the meeting i can bring them

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 11:15:21 »
If he is doing a calflo still I can cut a 2x4 to match the width of the tank and then I can drill as many sized holes as he needs into the 2x4 at the right measurements so that all you have to do is clamp the 2x4 to the tank and just drill each hole in the jig. Just let me know the measurements, I can bring the jig to the meeting(provided I can find my hole saw kit, think my dad has it)

I can also bring my cordless with a dead center leveler on it so your going at it straight down.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 11:29:36 »
Cool glad we can come up with a plan and get a fellow reefer's tank up and going.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:49:45 »
Can I add in my 46 gallon to be drilled at Saturday's festivities?  That and some recommendations on overflow designs...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 11:56:27 »
To create a template just cut a hole through a piece of wood using the hole saw that you are going to drill the tank with. Then clamp the wood to the tank and you will get a perfect hole. I also use another piece of wood on the inside of tank so their is no bust out. The entire drill time I have a hose with running water to keep bit cool and hole clean.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 12:41:25 »
To create a template just cut a hole through a piece of wood using the hole saw that you are going to drill the tank with. Then clamp the wood to the tank and you will get a perfect hole. I also use another piece of wood on the inside of tank so their is no bust out. The entire drill time I have a hose with running water to keep bit cool and hole clean.

I struggled with this method when drilling the lower potions of the tank for the suction line of my external pump.   Do you and a clamp with a 20: throat?

I ended up standing the tank on end, on some wood...   Used the weight of the tank to help keep it from busting out.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 12:56:17 »
Can I add in my 46 gallon to be drilled at Saturday's festivities?  That and some recommendations on overflow designs...

I think if you are gonna do it, the census atm would be to do a calflo design(coast to coast). If you want to hit me up with your measurement of the tank and where you want the holes drilled I can make you a jig aswell.

If the club's holesaws are gonna be in I may bring my 50 along to get it's holes out of the way(if micki doesn't mind)... the 80 I'm gonna have to drill while everything is still in it.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 13:07:04 »
I think if you are gonna do it, the census atm would be to do a calflo design(coast to coast). If you want to hit me up with your measurement of the tank and where you want the holes drilled I can make you a jig aswell.

If the club's holesaws are gonna be in I may bring my 50 along to get it's holes out of the way(if micki doesn't mind)... the 80 I'm gonna have to drill while everything is still in it.

I will measure tonight and start research on the calflo...

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 15:51:59 »

What size holes do you need made? Also what are you making the jig out of, 1x4, 2x4?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 16:04:14 »

By all means bring it over!  :)

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 16:35:45 »
What size holes do you need made? Also what are you making the jig out of, 1x4, 2x4?

I have a wood/bimetal whole saw kit so I was gonna make a jig for you and todd if you want(slandis had asked if we could get one.) I sent Brian a message asking if he wanted me to make up some calfo jigs for the standard aquarium sizes and some standalone templates for the new saw kits(these would just remain with the club's saws so that noone has to make them up when they borrow em)

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 17:36:30 »
So I was wondering what everyone else thinks...
 I have heard...That when drilling for a bulkhead to go down 1.5" from the trim?
Also if that is true, when drilling for the coast to coast how far apart from each other should the holes be placed?
This is the bulkhead I have

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/catalog/product/gallery/id/574/image/1432/

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 17:56:27 »
Also if that is true, when drilling for the coast to coast how far apart from each other should the holes be placed?

in my experience it is wise to leave a 1" space all the way around the hole atleast.... this obviously would depend greatly on the hole size.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 18:33:55 »

Thought that image had dimensions on it. My bad

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 05:58:13 »

If your still wanting to make a jig, my tank is 36"s and would like the holes centered with a 3" spacing between the holes. The only issue that may come up is that the hole size I need is metric. 42mm/1.65"s?

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 07:35:42 »
My tank is the same size 36".  I would like to use 1" bulkheads and build the Calflo design.  So the jig that you are making for the 3 holes should work for me too.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 08:12:08 »
If your still wanting to make a jig, my tank is 36"s and would like the holes centered with a 3" spacing between the holes. The only issue that may come up is that the hole size I need is metric. 42mm/1.65"s?

what size bulkhead are you using? 1 inch?

Unless you specifically want a 42mm hole the 1 3/4 should work just fine. (44 mm)

and I will hopefully have the jigs made up thursday night. Todd you are comfortable with his design correct? His and the calfo are slightly different. They work under the same principle(maximum skimming surface) but the design reefpete has chosen to go with is supposed to run alot quieter over a standard calfo, but also requires a little more plumbing.(I personally am gonna use the same design pete has choosen)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:21:10 by Boonjob »

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 08:33:58 »
A cool idea i have seen and use all the time for woodworking jigs is to make templates out of cheap kitchen cutting boards.  The plastic if fairly solid, easy to cut, and wont warp normally.  Maybe look in to making a set to go with all the club's bits when they come in
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 09:30:14 »
what size bulkhead are you using? 1 inch?

Unless you specifically want a 42mm hole the 1 3/4 should work just fine. (44 mm)
Yes, I am going to run 1" bulkheads. 44mm holes will work quite well, I believe?
A cool idea i have seen and use all the time for woodworking jigs is to make templates out of cheap kitchen cutting boards.  The plastic if fairly solid, easy to cut, and wont warp normally.  Maybe look in to making a set to go with
Do you think that the cutting boards will stay cool enough?

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 09:30:55 »
A cool idea i have seen and use all the time for woodworking jigs is to make templates out of cheap kitchen cutting boards.  The plastic if fairly solid, easy to cut, and wont warp normally.  Maybe look in to making a set to go with all the club's bits when they come in

I plan on making a complete set of templates and jigs tomorrow, I was actually planning on using a kitchen cutting board or equivalent sheet of plastic after I decided to just make a permanent set of templates for the saw kit, mostly to allow the water to remain on the bit without any negative effects on the template(wood would asorb the water, leading to rot,warp,mold etc as you have mentioned)

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 09:38:24 »
Yes the 44-45mm bit will work just fine for the 1"... the 42mm looks like it is more for the 3/4" sch80 bulkheads.

And it would depend greatly on the material of the cutting board, but it should be just fine for the most part. The risk of melting the board is present but the wood templates do run a good risk of warping after the first use(especially with watering the bit the wood plate is gonna soak it all up) And I have no problems sealing the templates in urethane, but the cutting hole wouldn't be able to be sealed which is where the water will be present. I will make some up on both wood and some plastic boards and we will just have to trial and error it.  My only hesitation with the plastic cutting board is that it lacks the thickness of a normal piece of wood which will help stabalize the drill bit, but depending on what I can find I may just glue and press several sheets togethr to form one thick piece

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 09:42:22 »
I wonder how well an aluminum plate would hold up? I wonder if it would cause the sides of the diamond bit to ware out?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 09:54:15 »
I wonder how well an aluminum plate would hold up? I wonder if it would cause the sides of the diamond bit to ware out?

You could relieve the bottom of the aluminum hole for the thickness of the diamond coating....You would probably have to protect the aluminum from scratching the glass.