2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: fish guard for calfo coast to coast  (Read 1520 times)

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
fish guard for calfo coast to coast
« on: April 09, 2012, 15:56:52 »
Sad news. Our super cool full size mandarin was a casualty of the pipes in the overflow. Had him for quite a while and he ate everything... Well, the current guess is that he followed some food across the overflow and well now we have no mandarin.  After being really bummed about this for a while, I vowed to have it happen never again.

The current plan is to set up black egg crate as a fish guard inside the overflow flush with the weir. I've built too many custom jobs on this set up only to have someone point out a better option the second its done. So I would love some feed back before I build.  I do have acrylic lids for the tank currently.

Thanks for looking.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: fish guard for calfo coast to coast
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 20:52:29 »
Fish love overflows.    I have perforated intakes on all my downpipes.   Can you just put suction strainers on the inlets to the pipes.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 20:55:22 »
Ouch that sucks
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Viggen

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 23:40:31 »
I have a standard overflow with the vertical slits.  I ziptied egg crate behind the slits just in case a fish got to close

300g tub o fish

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:33:08 »
I use gutter guard. Had eggcrate in my drains till I had to fish one of my black Perc. clowns out of my sump.

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:34:01 »
That's what I was worried about. There are too many fish and such that could easily wiggle through if they wanted. Never thought of gutter guard. Thanks!