2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: My triton results - might need assistance in corrective actions  (Read 1795 times)

Offline erky

• Adult
Had a few red lines in the test results,

Current salt Instant Ocean (planning on getting a bio/probiotic salt next to help with corals)
Was adding red sea 4 part trace elements (have stopped)

I really appreciate any feedback anyone has, and really would appreciate any assistance anyone can give me.

My tank currently is a 6.5 out of 10 in looks, 10 being super popping colored corals. It has been an 8 here recently but for some reason my 2 part additions seem off. Havent needed to add Ca in a long while and Alk is a steady 8-8.2 (considering upping to 9.5).

Offline erky

• Adult
Re: My triton results - might need assistance in corrective actions
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 13:14:32 »

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 14:37:51 »
Have you dropped any screws or metal objects into the tank that you were not able to find?  If not I would take all of your pumps apart and make sure none of the impellers are starting to rust.  I would say a near 100% water change is also due.  It has helped out quite a few members on this site.  Really the only tricky part of it is matching the correct alk, salinity and water temp.  I turned off my lights and the corals were probably out of the water for no more then 30 min and they all did well.   I took mine down to about 3in in the tank just enough for the fish to stay in water.  Sounds drastic but you can lower your alk of the new water by adding muratic acid to the water.  I think I used 20 ml per 50 gallons to drop the alk level down to match the tanks.  I would assume you are using ro/di water?  Those metals have to be coming in from somewhere.  I would upgrade to a better reef/coral salt like you mentioned.  best advise I can give is once you have taken corrective actions dont expect an immediate turn around in the corals.  From my experience thinks can go down hill very fast but the turn around is slow to come.
jeff

Jeff

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 08:42:04 »
Have you dropped any screws or metal objects into the tank that you were not able to find?  If not I would take all of your pumps apart and make sure none of the impellers are starting to rust.  I would say a near 100% water change is also due.  It has helped out quite a few members on this site.  Really the only tricky part of it is matching the correct alk, salinity and water temp.  I turned off my lights and the corals were probably out of the water for no more then 30 min and they all did well.   I took mine down to about 3in in the tank just enough for the fish to stay in water.  Sounds drastic but you can lower your alk of the new water by adding muratic acid to the water.  I think I used 20 ml per 50 gallons to drop the alk level down to match the tanks.  I would assume you are using ro/di water?  Those metals have to be coming in from somewhere.  I would upgrade to a better reef/coral salt like you mentioned.  best advise I can give is once you have taken corrective actions dont expect an immediate turn around in the corals.  From my experience thinks can go down hill very fast but the turn around is slow to come.
jeff

Jeff

im going to tear my pumps apart today for a good inspection, also see if anything has fallen into the sump, once my new salt gets in i will do a few water changes, i dont have the amount of storage to do a 180 gallon water change in one sitting. i can do about a 50% one. I did do 30ish gallons yesterday.
I do use RODI water and just ordered the 150g add on from brs for my unit.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 09:11:24 »
If your interested I have (2) 55 gallon barrels and one 30 gallon you can use.  I know it is quite a drive for you but your welcome to us them.
Jeff

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 10:51:39 »
Water changes yes!  Source also confounding....

Are you dosing iodine?  Perhaps a general trace elements additive?  GFO?  Any additives?

One could blame zinc and iron on metal in the tank somewhere (I think stainless has zinc) but the iodine feels like an outlier?  Just more speculation, but seems like the metals in the tanks results have also included aluminum and tin in some of the results I've read. I think a general reef additive I used a while ago had zinc and iron.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 11:11:25 »
Water changes yes!  Source also confounding....

Are you dosing iodine?  Perhaps a general trace elements additive?  GFO?  Any additives?

One could blame zinc and iron on metal in the tank somewhere (I think stainless has zinc) but the iodine feels like an outlier?  Just more speculation, but seems like the metals in the tanks results have also included aluminum and tin in some of the results I've read. I think a general reef additive I used a while ago had zinc and iron.

i was dosing red sea's 4 part trace elements, one was iodine, followed directions to a T and it seems to still have been a little extra than what the tank needed. no GFO, but i have a Ti heater, just checked all of my pumps they were all in perfect condition. I saw 2 things that could be contributing to high levels of metals, one was a hose clamp that was in the water, it looked to be in great condition, but i removed it anyways, the other is part of the auto top off system i am running, it has a screw/nut that was just starting to rust, i will go to the hardware store and get some plastic ones to replace them. Other than that i am not sure where extra metal would be coming from, I did use some pliers in the tank a long while ago, but i seriously doubt that caused these elevated numbers.

My plan moving forward is to do a large water change and then check levels again in maybe 6 weeks or so.