2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Dosing Phytoplankton  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Westeri

• Juvenile
Dosing Phytoplankton
« on: April 30, 2014, 10:36:19 »
Anyone able to shed light on how much phytoplankton to dose per gallon of water in system.   Granted I can see this having some variance based upon density of the culture,  quantity of filter feeders and copepods.

I had been adding around 100 ml per day for my system of roughly 250 gallons of water.  But not sure if I am under or over feeding.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Dosing Phytoplankton
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 12:16:25 »
Seems alot to me.  I used to dose about a cap full of DT's (5ml) in a 90 gallon system.  That was when I was feeding clams, but I no longer dose phyto.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 13:05:00 »
Density is a significant variable. I have seen retail phyto where it would take 100 gallons of their product to equal 100ML of another brand phyto.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 13:08:52 »
Yes agreed, it would be heavily dependent on the density/concentration of your phyto.

I ordered some at one point to start my cultures and it was barely enough to color the water in the container... I used to skim more phyto out of my batches than they were selling.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Westeri

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 13:13:46 »
Hmm, may have to get a density chart then.  If I am going to be analytical about this.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 13:46:18 »
lol.....

I got tired of culturing and dosing before ever coming close to anything analytical.

Offline Westeri

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 14:02:56 »
Chalk it up to foolish enthusiasm of something new.  With a touch of curiosity.   I really am hoping to avoid having to take a water sample and count cells using a microscope to compare to ocean densities.   However, that could be the ultimate gauge.  I assume some scientist has already gone through that pain to determine an average for a reef area.  Or more probable, their graduate assistant.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 14:09:47 »
Just wondering if your dosing to feed the pods? If not what your purpose for dosing phyto is?

Offline Westeri

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 14:11:47 »
Pods and my sandbed clams right now.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 14:20:26 »
Is it likely that once your tank is established, you would no longer need to dose it? I am only asking because I have never dosed phyto. But I have wondered if it was necessary.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 14:24:25 »
I am sure there is some type of standard low constant in  the ocean, but I think even that would depend on location, time, etc as to what the ocean would be... blooms come and go, and I am sure different regions have a higher concentration than others

I too was extremely fascinated in growing phyto and enriching my own brine shrimp... but as with Paul it got exhausting very quickly lol... I had more phyto than I knew what to do with and had trays of frozen brine shrimp.

I think so long as you are dosing a few drops a day of a solid quality concentration it will get where it needs to be. But I can totally relate to your enthusiasm haha
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Westeri

• Juvenile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 14:35:52 »
Is it likely that once your tank is established, you would no longer need to dose it? I am only asking because I have never dosed phyto. But I have wondered if it was necessary.

I don't know, I did read in a couple of places that skimmers will remove plankton from your water.  Of course I haven't turned mine on just yet.  Whether or not the tank will produce plankton faster than the skimmer (or other creatures) removes it I just don't know.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 15:03:10 »
You can purchase a cell counter at BSD to measure your phyto strength. It isn't on their website anymore but if you call them you can get it added to your order. If it is dense enough you can hold direct to your lighting and light won't be able to pass through it.

Offline Westeri

• Juvenile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 15:13:55 »
BSD is short for?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 19:05:57 »
Brine Shrimp Direct; you can get 5% discount here http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=17