2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Interesting facts about Sea Hares and Austin Powers  (Read 4430 times)

Offline aquavista99

Interesting facts about Sea Hares and Austin Powers
« on: May 12, 2006, 21:07:20 »
As some of you are aware, one of my SPS reefs is going through an algae bloom. I have added numerous blue leg hermit crabs to the system, but for whatever reason, my mantis seems to like the taste of them, so they don't stay  around for long (if I could remove the mantis, it would be gone). In any event, I decided to add a sea hare to the system tonight to help with algae control. Only time will tell if the mantis and the sea hare can get along, but I did a little research and uncovered some interesting facts about sea hares that even Austin Powers would appreciate.

According to the Monterey Bay Aquarium , "each sea hare is both male and female, but they still need to mate. Dozens pile up for sea hare orgies. They mate in lines and circles: each is male to the one in front and female to the one behind, so each is both a mother and a father. Sea hares may lay up to eighty million eggs apiece. But most of these mother-fathers' eggs are eaten by predators."

Since this is a family-friendly fourm, I can assure each of you that I only purchased one sea hare so there will be no sea hare orgies in my reef.

Other cool facts about sea hares:

When threatened by predators, sea hares release a dark purple fluid in defense. The ink gets its purple color from a pigment in the red algae that makes up part of the sea hare's diet. Sea hares can't see like we do; their simple eyes can only tell light from dark.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 21:19:48 by aquavista99 »

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: Interesting facts about Sea Hares and Austin Powers
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 21:31:01 »
Hmmm, interesting. I never new that about sea hares.  :)

Offline Emily

• Scavenger Queen
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 21:47:48 »
Wow!  You learn something new everyday!
Emily

BobbyC

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 21:51:01 »
I think I saw something like that on OZ once.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 21:52:38 »
  LOL...  It is amazing to think of what goes on in our tanks. 

Offline verper

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 21:53:10 »
  LOL...  It is amazing to think of what goes on in our tanks. 

Lets not go there.  ;D

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 22:01:01 »
Just think about it.  The sea hare and their mating ways. Clown fish and I'm sure other fish as well (I just can't think of some of them right now) and their mating ways.  But it's truly amazing at how it all works.  Then to think we can actually reproduce that in our home is awesome! 

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 22:22:04 »
You know what, I think I remember them saying that when I watched the PBS special. Don't really think I'd want to see it, though.