2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: cleaner shrimp  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
cleaner shrimp
« on: June 07, 2011, 08:39:25 »
Just wondering what time is it most likely to see a cleaner shrimp clean fish. i ask this because me and my dad look at my fish tank for hours and have never seen the cleaner shrimp clean any of our fish, but a few days ago my brother walked by the fish tank while the moonlights were on and saw the cleaner shrimp cleaning my blue tang.  him not being all that informed about cleaner shrimp ( despite taking a marinebiology class last year and getting to go snorkling in the keys) thought the cleaner shrimp was trying to eat the blue tang. so is it mre likely to see a cleaner shrimp at night than when the main lights are on
Thanks
Cole Harlow
90 gallon shallow

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
Re: cleaner shrimp
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:47:42 »
Just wondering what time is it most likely to see a cleaner shrimp clean fish. i ask this because me and my dad look at my fish tank for hours and have never seen the cleaner shrimp clean any of our fish, but a few days ago my brother walked by the fish tank while the moonlights were on and saw the cleaner shrimp cleaning my blue tang.  him not being all that informed about cleaner shrimp ( despite taking a marinebiology class last year and getting to go snorkling in the keys) thought the cleaner shrimp was trying to eat the blue tang. so is it mre likely to see a cleaner shrimp at night than when the main lights are on
Thanks
Cole Harlow
IMO, you are MUCH more likely to see them "cleaning" at night or with the moons on. Just my opinion... ???

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 09:02:12 »
I see mine clening all day.  Never noticed him cleaning them at night, but I'm usually not awake that late.  How long have you had the cleaner shrimp?

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 09:09:56 »
about 4 months
90 gallon shallow

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 10:29:39 »
Maybe they are just shy about their cleanings...  ;)   

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 12:46:13 »
Maybe they are just shy about their cleanings...  ;)   
I know mine is :-[

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 13:10:01 »
When I had two shrimp and more tangs in my tank they would actually line up for their cleanings!  I think I have pics somewhere.  I've also seen them clean the inside of the mouth of my yellow tang.  Pretty cool!

Offline rancoo

• Adult
cleaner shrimp
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 13:16:04 »
for me the only fish who would get cleaned was my tang all the others could care less
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 13:16:35 »
for me the only fish who would get cleaned was my tang all the others could care less

My angels like to be cleaned.

Offline starfishprime

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 22:08:30 »
My LM Blenny, anthias, coral beauty and clowns all enjoy cleaning from my shrimp. Sometimes when you initially add them one or the other is hesitant. With time I think the shrimp/fish will get comfortable and do what comes naturally to them.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 22:34:30 »
My cleaner shrimp has been in my tank years and NEVER cleaned a fish.  I think my tang is too skittish.  When i feed, i can get the shrimp to swim up and eat out of my hand and it will start to clean under my fingernails and stuff lol...

In another members tank I saw an angel let the shrimp clean its outside gills AND let the shrimp walk in its mouth to clean the gill from the inside. When the shrimp was done, it just walked back out of the fishes mouth.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline starfishprime

• Juvenile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 22:44:30 »
yeah the best interaction I see between my fish and shrimp is with my LM blenny. He just perches and opens wide.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 22:45:14 »
My cleaner shrimp used to like to clean my hand if I put it in the tank.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 23:07:55 »
My cleaner shrimp used to like to clean my hand if I put it in the tank.

That's because your hands were always dirty!  :D

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 23:21:46 »
That's because your hands were always dirty!  :D
Good sign of a hard working man! Ain't no shame in it!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 07:23:23 »
Good sign of a hard working man! Ain't no shame in it!

I've known Gary for years, he is a product of my tax dollars at work!    :copcar:  My tax dollars don't work too hard when he is on duty!!!   :hysterical:          But I have to admit, I feel safer when he is on duty   :th_character0028: