2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Cheato  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Cheato
« on: June 20, 2011, 13:29:01 »
My cheato has become very brittle  shortly after I got it, and it has stayed that way... it is green with no white or brown spots, but is no longer elastic as it once was, Which leads to it breaking off easily and floating around my tank clogging pumps and return lines... Any one have any clues? I have looked online and only seeing people saying it is dieing due to lack of nutrients/light.. Well I have plenty of nutrients and I have a 10k PC fixture over it. (it's on a 12hour reverse light schedule).  It is growing, and still very green... Is it lacking a certain nutrient(Iodine,Iron, etc).

I have it free floating in my refug atm, but going to make an eggcrate basket for it to sit in this evening hoping it will cut back on some of the "shedding"
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
Re: Cheato
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 14:48:37 »
you are running the algae scrubber correct? thats why its brittle. Mine does that from time to time. I thought about getting some kind of net bag and throwing it in there so that it cant float away. Its just that the scrubber screen is doing so well with cleaning the water. At least thats what i think of the matter.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Cheato
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 14:55:34 »
you are running the algae scrubber correct? thats why its brittle. Mine does that from time to time. I thought about getting some kind of net bag and throwing it in there so that it cant float away. Its just that the scrubber screen is doing so well with cleaning the water. At least thats what i think of the matter.

Since going to the 90 I dont have the ATS running any longer, just Phosban,fuge,skimmer... Maybe it is just from where I was running it
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank